Yamaha Top Case cracking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last Chance

Reaction score
Well, only 8 months on the bike and I just discovered my Yamaha top case is cracking/breaking around the "locking lug" at the bottom of the case (near the rear of the case when installed). This is a bummer, as WFO-6 is coming and the top case would be nice for the trip.

I've searched the forum and found one post saying it was covered under warranty. I'm definitely going to get the YES from D&H ASAP.

I wonder if Yamaha has "beefed-up" the case as a result. In any event, if you have a Yamaha top case, keep your eye on the bottom of the case for signs of failure. Looks like a little longer and it would have come apart.

LC

Any pics of said crack? Talk to whoever you bought it from, they may be able to replace it under warranty.

The only reason I say to try the warranty route is because several of us had the mounting plate to our topcases crack a while back and they were replaced under warranty, I even got an extra somehow :assassin: , the particulars of that are fuzzy right now.

Good luck, they only say yes if you try, otherwise the answer is ALWAYS no.

Any pics of said crack? Talk to whoever you bought it from, they may be able to replace it under warranty. The only reason I say to try the warranty route is because several of us had the mounting plate to our topcases crack a while back and they were replaced under warranty, I even got an extra somehow :assassin: , the particulars of that are fuzzy right now.

Good luck, they only say yes if you try, otherwise the answer is ALWAYS no.
Thanks.

I will try to get it replaced under warranty... I will also take some pictures of the cracks and post them.

LC

Just wondering if you have been riding two up and possibly your back seater is using as a back rest, or is most of your riding typically solo?

My top box cracked on my 2006 FJR and broke last winter. Temperature was 16F Ithink the cold had made the plastic brittle. Anyhow the box slid up and hit me in the back as I was going down the road it then felloff and hit the road destroying the bottom part of the case. I know the box was on correctly as I rode 40 miles after it was last opened before it fell off. Yamaha refuses to do anything about it. So I will never buy another Yamaha product

Any pics of said crack? Talk to whoever you bought it from, they may be able to replace it under warranty. The only reason I say to try the warranty route is because several of us had the mounting plate to our topcases crack a while back and they were replaced under warranty, I even got an extra somehow :assassin: , [SIZE=14pt]the particulars of that are fuzzy right now. [/SIZE] Good luck, they only say yes if you try, otherwise the answer is ALWAYS no.

It's called THEFT!

Geez.