Rear tire blow out at 80mph in HOV lane

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barabus

Reaction score
Well, I had some excitement today. My rear tire blew out on the I-605 in the car pool lane at about 80 mph with cruise control activated. The Avon Storm ST had about 5400 miles on it and was due to be replaced soon. Ultimately, the tire was punctured and then sidewall ruptured some time after that. In hind sight, I should have noticed the rear tire deflating due to the puncture. The 605 is grooved concrete. I started to notice the "I am riding on grooved concrete" feeling more and more. I was looking around at my front and wondering why the bike was turning in a lethargic manner. Just as a motorist motioned to my back tire, the sidewall ruptured and I really started fish tailing.

The first two lanes of traffic backed off and let me to the side. However, as I went to merged into the number one lane, that motorist shut the door on me. She probably didn't know I was having problems. In any event, the swerve back into the number two lane was a real "E ticket ride". My tire seemed to break its bead and almost come off. I wobbled to a stop and called for a tow.

The tire was smoking slightly and very hot. The rupture to the sidewall was large enough for three fingers side by side. The tire tore off part of the under tail- a 6"x9" mud guard that helps keep the rear shock clean. The Tow driver strapped my bike down, but scrapped my front fender with a tow strap. The tow was $250 for a 23 mile ride home. I did not have AAA for my motorcycles (have it for my cars). The tire was $136 and $30 to install at Cycle Gear. At some point in the incident my rim got slightly bent and the tire installation guy gave me the name of Doctor Johnny in HB.

I wish I would have pulled over during those 2-3 minutes when I knew the bike was not handling right. I had a plug kit and compressor. I could have picked a nice exit and had a Coke while doing the repair. Instead I was in a hurry to get to the Crest and run some twisties. Lesson learned since I almost had a fall. The tire could have dislodged during my merge and that could have been it.

Stay safe out there and don't be in too big of a hurry!!

Well, I had some excitement today. My rear tire blew out on the I-605 in the car pool lane at about 80 mph with cruise control activated. The Avon Storm ST had about 5400 miles on it and was due to be replaced soon. Ultimately, the tire was punctured and then sidewall ruptured some time after that. In hind sight, I should have noticed the rear tire deflating due to the puncture. The 605 is grooved concrete. I started to notice the "I am riding on grooved concrete" feeling more and more. I was looking around at my front and wondering why the bike was turning in a lethargic manner. Just as a motorist motioned to my back tire, the sidewall ruptured and I really started fish tailing.
The first two lanes of traffic backed off and let me to the side. However, as I went to merged into the number one lane, that motorist shut the door on me. She probably didn't know I was having problems. In any event, the swerve back into the number two lane was a real "E ticket ride". My tire seemed to break its bead and almost come off. I wobbled to a stop and called for a tow.

The tire was smoking slightly and very hot. The rupture to the sidewall was large enough for three fingers side by side. The tire tore off part of the under tail- a 6"x9" mud guard that helps keep the rear shock clean. The Tow driver strapped my bike down, but scrapped my front fender with a tow strap. The tow was $250 for a 23 mile ride home. I did not have AAA for my motorcycles (have it for my cars). The tire was $136 and $30 to install at Cycle Gear. At some point in the incident my rim got slightly bent and the tire installation guy gave me the name of Doctor Johnny in HB.

I wish I would have pulled over during those 2-3 minutes when I knew the bike was not handling right. I had a plug kit and compressor. I could have picked a nice exit and had a Coke while doing the repair. Instead I was in a hurry to get to the Crest and run some twisties. Lesson learned since I almost had a fall. The tire could have dislodged during my merge and that could have been it.

Stay safe out there and don't be in too big of a hurry!!

Is this your first flat at speed? Glad you came out unscathed but I'll bet you'll never miss that "I'm riding on grooved pavement more and more" feeling again.... :good:

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Crap, Barry !!

You do lead an exciting life, don't you?

Glad you are ok. That could have been much, much messier.

Have a beer and toss the tennis ball ......

The other problem with the HOV lane on the 605 is the crummy state of the painted lane markers. I tend to stay to the right side of the HOV lanes on SoCal freeways (unless there's a K-rail on the right), so on the 605 the combination of: the seam left over from when the HOV lane was an asphalt shoulder, the grooved concrete, and the uneven lane markers make it seem like you've got a flat, even when you don't.

I got my last flat in the HOV lanes of the westbound 91 in Artesia. Luckily, the road surface there isn't quite so bad, so I was able to move through traffic and exit at the next off-ramp.

It's cool you made it off safely.

Holy Crap, Barry !!
You do lead an exciting life, don't you?

Glad you are ok. That could have been much, much messier.

Have a beer and toss the tennis ball ......
Hal, I like your thinking. However, I may need more than beer. The Makers Mark will do the trick. As to the other, fetch is never an option around here. My retiever insist upon it, even if I am under the broken FJR. He doesn't seem to notice the damage and frayed nerves.

The other problem with the HOV lane on the 605 is the crummy state of the painted lane markers. I tend to stay to the right side of the HOV lanes on SoCal freeways (unless there's a K-rail on the right), so on the 605 the combination of: the seam left over from when the HOV lane was an asphalt shoulder, the grooved concrete, and the uneven lane markers make it seem like you've got a flat, even when you don't.
I got my last flat in the HOV lanes of the westbound 91 in Artesia. Luckily, the road surface there isn't quite so bad, so I was able to move through traffic and exit at the next off-ramp.

It's cool you made it off safely.

You are right about the I-605. I guess this is my only excuse for not being more mindful. That and never having a flat at speed in close to 100K lifetime miles.

Barry, glad you made it through the blowout without injuries. Remember the feeling of the bike, you may have to go through that again, but hopefully not soon. My approach to a poor handling bike is to first think tires and then stop as soon as possible to check them out. You are fortunate that it was your rear rather than front tire. I had my front go down on my 05 FJR at 70 mph and it was nearly impossible to steer the bike. Had to lean it to get it off the main road. The tire contact patch increases by many times when the tires deflate. Take care.

OK, Barry, knock that shit off. Always, always listen to Mr. Gut. He's never wrong. Glad you made it through. How long was the traffic jam behind you? :eek:mg: BTW, check your bike insurance for tow assist.

Geeeeeez! I woulda had a frickin' heart attack!

Glad you are safe, man.

Damn Barry, sounds like you had a close call there. Glad to hear that it went off without incident, despite it being a pucker moment.

As TWN mentioned, most M/C policies include towing. I'm using Foremost and it covers the entire US and Canada.

Take it easy there. Tilt glass, sip, then repeat!!

Barry, glad you made it through the blowout without injuries. Remember the feeling of the bike, you may have to go through that again, but hopefully not soon. My approach to a poor handling bike is to first think tires and then stop as soon as possible to check them out. You are fortunate that it was your rear rather than front tire. I had my front go down on my 05 FJR at 70 mph and it was nearly impossible to steer the bike. Had to lean it to get it off the main road. The tire contact patch increases by many times when the tires deflate. Take care.

Shit Dave! I would have died if that happened to me. Front blow out are way worse than what I had. You will have to tell me all about it when we see each other next.

Barry - phuck dude! Stop that crap at once, eh?

So, I heard that Walmart is having a good sale on undies.. you probably need some by now..

Good to hear you are ok.

Do the words SmarTire mean anything to you yet?

"Lisen to the force Luke , I mean Barry"

"Before IT forces you to lisen"

Being mothers day downunder I hope you had taken you mother's advice and were wearing clean undies

I am glade you survived ,those roads users in cars in LA area are BAD .

That does it! Ever since seeing the tire pressure monitor on the BMW and hearing it will be on the new C-14, I knew this was a feature to have on bikes, especially with an alarm - which they don't have. I am going to start a new thread on tire pressure monitors. Thanks for the wake up call.

Is this going to throw a wrench in the galfer brake line project?Weren't you the guy that volunteered his bike for such?

No, only took the afternoon to replace and reinstall the rear. The wrench in Galfer is that they have not called me back! :angry:

BTW, someone took the time to PM me and offer a new front fender just for about shipping costs!! Isn't this a great place! Faith in humanity has been restored.

Latest posts