Exhaust Header Dent

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gcopter

Reaction score
While doing my 50k coolant flush i removed lower front fairings and found a what at first looked like a bullet hole in the fairing next to right side exhaust header.. After closer inspection of the fairing i found a nice scrap mark and a nice tear in the fairing material. The exhaust header at the lower turn has a big dent that pushes in over half the diameter of the tubing.. (just one tube outside right)... What sort of problems can this cause down the road??? I believe I remember hiting something a month or two ago on the freeway and have ridden it since then. I dont really notice a diffrencein performance.. Any thoughts appreciated.

If the dent is going in half of the diameter.....that's pretty substantial. Slight dents have been discussed before and aren't usually a problem, but you might be significantly changing the flow with this situation. I wouldn't worry about the thing blowing up, but I'd be a bit concerned about heating up that particular cylinder's exhaust if it is more of a constriction.