Rear hub throwing grease

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuilderBob

Reaction score
I've had my FJR for a couple of months now. Love the bike, but I am concerned about this problem.

Since new, I have noticed that the rear hub is throwing grease that shows up as splatters on the left side of the rear wheel. Kind of like what you would expect from a bike with chain drive. It's not a huge amount, but enought to be of some concern.

Rear%20Wheel.JPG

Is this normal or should I take it to the dealer for repais?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob,Have you changed your rear tire out yet?

Maybe just extra grease from drive splines but I doubt it,cause it's usually pretty dry from the factory.

Check the bottom drain bolt on the rear end to make sure it's not leaking there.

Also if that crush washer is not put on right you'll get a little weeping leak.

If that's not it,it might be one of the seals in the rear end which will mean dealer time.

Have you done any service their since the bike is new?

One other thing,check your brake line to make sure your not losing brake fluid outta the line at the banjo connector or bleeder area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob,Have you changed your rear tire out yet?Maybe just extra grease from drive splines but I doubt it,cause it's usually pretty dry from the factory.

Check the bottom drain bolt on the rear end to make sure it's not leaking there.

If that's not it,it might be one of the seals in the rear end which will mean dealer time.

One other thing,check your brake line to make sure your not losing brake fluid outta the line at the banjo connector or bleeder area.
No, I've got less than 1,000 miles so far, so the tire's good.

I've checked all the usual suspects and I'm fairly certain that it is most likely grease (not oil) from the hub assembly.

The bike had its 600 mile service done at the dealer.

The grease you see in the picture has accumulated over a period of about 300 miles.

Bob,Have you changed your rear tire out yet?Maybe just extra grease from drive splines but I doubt it,cause it's usually pretty dry from the factory.

No, I've got less than 1,000 miles so far, so the tire's good.

I've checked all the usual suspects and I'm fairly certain that it is most likely grease (not oil) from the hub assembly.

The bike had its 600 mile service done at the dealer.

The grease you see in the picture has accumulated over a period of about 300 miles.
It's probably just excess grease from the first assembly.

Take it to the dealer to be safe would be your best bet.

Bob, wondered if that was still happening. I know you've checked the level in the pumpkin. The only other thing would be excess from the bearing/axle assembly slinging out as TT said.

I seem to recall one of the veterans saying it was no big deal and it will stop in an old thread. Don't know if 1000 miles is enough yet.

Might as well drop the wheel and look now while the love bugs are swarming!

Gee !!

That looks just like my rear wheel !!

It's from the original assembly - now that I've changed my rear tire and cleaned up the old lube, the problem has stopped. I get the impression that the hub has excess lube - I suppose it's easier for the builders to lube there than the drive shaft.

My first tire change was done at a stealer - and the cleanup and re-lube process wasn't done - and it continued to spot the rear wheel.

My second set I installed myself - and having lots of time, I cleaned out the old lube on the hub, then re-lubed it with Honda Moly-60.

No more excess lube being flung around the rear wheel.

Yes, this is likely to be excess lube. My first time out, I over did it with Moly 60 and was cleaning this for a few weeks.

It will stop after a while.

Thanks all.

I'm taking off on my first LD trip on this bike June 1 and want to make sure that this issue isn't going to dampen my plans. No Iron Butt for me though. I'll be taking it easy. About 3,000 miles over 10 days.

Thanks all.
I'm taking off on my first LD trip on this bike June 1 and want to make sure that this issue isn't going to dampen my plans. No Iron Butt for me though. I'll be taking it easy. About 3,000 miles over 10 days.
BuilderBob,

Having all that spooge on your wheel is actually quite handy - you can write the tire pressure in it with your finger.....

Don't worry about it. Ain't gonna be a problem.