Remove Rear Balancer for Clutch change??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeez1

Reaction score
I'm going to start my Clutch job soon and I notice that the shop manual wants you to remove the rear balancer, to do that you need to remove the throttle bodies (according to the shop manual) I am just wondering if all of this is really necessary? I know the manual makes you do a whole bunch of work that you can avoid but I have never seen a write up on a clutch change. I love when you read one of these things and step one is "Remove Engine"

I'm going to start my Clutch job soon and I notice that the shop manual wants you to remove the rear balancer, to do that you need to remove the throttle bodies (according to the shop manual) I am just wondering if all of this is really necessary? I know the manual makes you do a whole bunch of work that you can avoid but I have never seen a write up on a clutch change. I love when you read one of these things and step one is "Remove Engine"
Yes, you will have to remove the balancer and may or may not have to remove the throttle bodies. There is a cover below them that will have to be accessed to remove/adjust it. Be patient, its a little tricky getting everything back in just right.

This is only if you are removing the clutch basket...otherwise it is pretty straight forward and simple.

This is only if you are removing the clutch basket...otherwise it is pretty straight forward and simple.

So is there a reason I would not have to remove the clutch basket??? i.e. change the friction and steel plates without a clutch basket removal?

You shouldn't need to remove the basket unless it is worn or damaged. Just remove the 6 small blots that retain the spring, then remove the spring and outer pressure plate. Once you are there you are golden, just slide the friction and steel plates out and replace with the new ones. Don't forget to soak the new plates in some clean oil before installing. From there just assemble in the reverse order.

You shouldn't need to remove the basket unless it is worn or damaged. Just remove the 6 small blots that retain the spring, then remove the spring and outer pressure plate. Once you are there you are golden, just slide the friction and steel plates out and replace with the new ones. Don't forget to soak the new plates in some clean oil before installing. From there just assemble in the reverse order.
No problem there, plates have been in oil a couple of days since I did not want to jump in uninformed< Thanks I will let all know how it goes.

No problem there, plates have been in oil a couple of days since I did not want to jump in uninformed< Thanks I will let all know how it goes.
Cool, I hope it works out well for you.