Auto Retract of windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRkid

Reaction score
Hi

I have a 04 fjr and just noticed that the auto retract of the windscreen does not any more. I works with the switch ok.

I have checked the connector that disables it and the handle bar swith. I have reseated all the fuses in the fuse box.

I am stumped any advice would greatly be appriciated .

I did a search and found that somebody had the same problem, but did not mention how he fixed it.

Are you the original owner of your '04 and are you sure it worked before? The auto retract is one of the first things a lot of people disable on purpose. I know I did. Here's a link to how to disable it: Link

Maybe you can reverse engineer it? :grin:

I saw how people disable the retract, but I left it origanal. It is intermitant. I am thinking it might be the Ignition switch.

It does get a lot of use and might start to get worn out. thx for the link.

The auto retract is one of the first things a lot of people disable on purpose. I know I did.
I also want to do it, while I have my brand new bike apart while swapping panels.

Hey, it should be the same for '07s, right? My only question is why that many wires to just disable that function?

My guess is the motor shuts up as soon as it gets to the lowest position, but with the harness disconnected, the motor stays energized if you keep the button pressed. I'll still disable it even if this the case (which most likely is by the number of wires), but just wanted to raise the issue so you guys pay attention and release the switch as soon as the screen stops moving.

By the way, have you guys seen the damn complexity of the mechanism to raise/lower the windscreen? Geez. There're no less than 6 pulleys in there. Will count them tomorrow before finishing the job. Would have prefer a 2-positiion manual adjustable, like my ex BMW and call it a day. Oh well. I like it electric, but never thought it'd be this complicated. Take care.

JC