Engine Ticker Problem - Australian Experiences?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith_E

Reaction score
Has any Aussie FJR owners had experiences with Australian Yamaha dealers on fixing the ‘ticker’ motor problem? By using the valuable information on this forum, I came to realise a few days ago that my bike (FJR1300A 2003 model) is suffering from this. I contacted Yamaha today to sound them out (no pun intended); and was greeted with the predictable response of ‘don’t know anything about it’ /’could be anything’. Would certainly like to hear feedback of Oz experiences to date, to gauge how I might go about getting this sorted out.

I have raised this with my local dealer on two separate occasions in the past; didn’t get any real response. Didn’t realise until I started doing some research on this forum that it was a problem with this genre of motorcycle.

TIA

Keith.

Has any Aussie FJR owners had experiences with Australian Yamaha dealers on fixing the 'ticker' motor problem? By using the valuable information on this forum, I came to realise a few days ago that my bike (FJR1300A 2003 model) is suffering from this. I contacted Yamaha today to sound them out (no pun intended); and was greeted with the predictable response of 'don't know anything about it' /'could be anything'. Would certainly like to hear feedback of Oz experiences to date, to gauge how I might go about getting this sorted out.
I have raised this with my local dealer on two separate occasions in the past; didn't get any real response. Didn't realise until I started doing some research on this forum that it was a problem with this genre of motorcycle.

TIA

Keith.
Check this out...

Australian Ticking TSI

Scroll down for lots of topics pertaining to the tick here...

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=4295

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith, I had this on my '01 way back at 18,000k's years ago. Very satisfactorily resolved under warranty, and no problems at all since. PM me if you need more info. You should find more info under my FJROwners name of david1300.

I've got a 2002 near 60K on the clock, only bought it about 4 months ago.

I'm a little suspitious of the top end. It's a little noisy and I do think the way people have described this issue as tapping spoon on an aluminum pot is something like mine.

Problem being it's not always there..

Cold it's fine, when it warms up it might be noisy or not.

I did notice it was quite loud this week when I was 2 up with one of the fellas from work at about 3K RPM I could hear it very clearly.

I did try to address this with the shop I bought it from, they were very dismissive and thought it was normal.

I took extended warranty on the bike at time of purchase which still has about 2 years to run. The only reason for the extended warranty was this valve guide issue..

I will take it in for a service in 2000 KM's, I'll bring it up again.

I do have a scanned image of the Yamaha document which was sent to the dealers, if you would like it send me a PM.

Have you had any sucess resolving or diagnosing your valve guide issues.??