Dash rattle on an 2006

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron

Reaction score
I have a hell of a rattle coming from my dash. I have tightened all of the bolts and screws I could find. Does anyone have any suggestions on a fix?

I noticed a similar symptom on my '06. Come to find out I was missing a plastic rivet on the battery cover. I replaced that, but the rattle never really went away. I don't know exactly where it's coming from, but at around 7k rpm, the problem seems to go away. :D

I've had some of those little rivets gone missing. Ordered some replacement ones... 99cents each. I have not had any rattling even with some of them missing.

I've noticed my FJR rattles like my old pickup, pretty annoying. The only item I've tracked down at this point is the front brake pads rattling in the caliper when the front brake is not applied. Anyone seen that one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've noticed my FJR rattles like my old pickup, pretty annoying. The only item I've tracked down at this point is the front brake pads rattling in the caliper when the front brake is not applied. Anyone seen that one?
I think I noticed that today. When I drag the front brake, I don't hear the "bucket of bolts" noise from the front end.

It's the front brake pad's you have to get use to the noise or it will drive you CRAZY like it did me and still is.

Cart

I think I noticed that today. When I drag the front brake, I don't hear the "bucket of bolts" noise from the front end.
This is common - my way of dealing with this is ear plugs.

Now, if that would just work for the dash rattle in my Saturn.

I had that on my 05 Road Star. Damn annoying. So far the FJR is free of that issue.

I had that on my 05 Road Star. Damn annoying. So far the FJR is free of that issue.
Has something about the brakes changed for '07 as opposed to the '06 (pads or calipers) to account for the lack of rattle in the '07?

I noticed a similar symptom on my '06. Come to find out I was missing a plastic rivet on the battery cover.
My '07 was missing the same rivet. Think Yamaha is trying to save a few cents per bike by omiting them? :dntknw:

My 06 had what i thought was a dash rattle. Turned out to be a loose bracket covering the plastic windshield bolts.

I have been riding around for about a week with both the side cowlings removed, along will all the inner panels, trying to track down this rattle. I have tightened every nut, bolt and screw that I can get my hands on around the front nose cowling, and I am convinced that the rattle is due to the slop in the windshield retracting lingage. I can reach up and apply pressure to the windshield right before I get to a section of pavement that I know will induce the rattle, and this will greatly reduce it.

Not really willing at this time to disassemble the nose far enough to get at the windshield mechanism, and I am not sure what I could do to tighten up the linkage even if I could get to it. But at least I am pretty sure where it is coming from now.

I noticed a similar symptom on my '06. Come to find out I was missing a plastic rivet on the battery cover.
My '07 was missing the same rivet. Think Yamaha is trying to save a few cents per bike by omiting them? :dntknw:

This was probably left off by the gorilla that did the set up on your bike - the battery is installed at this time, and that cover has to come off for the installation.