Forks are stuck in locked position

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yamma Jamma

Reaction score
my FJR AE is brand new (500 miles) and the forks are stuck in the locked position. I've tried everything I can think of to turn the key and start the bike but it won't budge. Anyone else been through this?

If it's on the center stand, then you are gold. If it's on the side stand, my suggestion is get help, muscular help, to hold the bike tilted slightly on the side stand, so that you can freely jiggle the front forks to loosen the lock.

Almost all the time, a stuck fork lock comes from a preload on the lock mech. Relieve the pressure and it WILL unlock.

Second suggestion, try turning the key over. It may actually work.

I see you're from Texas.

Put the key in the narrow slot between the handle bars and gently turn it in a clockwise motion. That should help. This isn't the tractor that you can push a button on without a key.

The reason turning the key over works is that most locks ( not all ) use only one side. When a lock is new the tolorance are very tight a few thousand of an inch can be a problem . When a lock is old the brass inside the lock is worn and the key is worn ( generally brass) it is quite common for akey to beused mainly on one side .The key and lock wear together ,when yo swap sides it dose not work sometimes .This is why when you get a key cut ( actually copied ) from an old key it sometimes dose not work.

Folow Jeff's advice you should be fine ,remember to get of the bike before you turn the key to lock postion ( learned the hard way )

I've tried most everything suggested here except for getting the front wheel off the ground, which I'm gonna try this morning.

Thanks

As for the belittling quote above concerning Texas: It's been my experience in my lifetime that people that are not stupid, but not smart enough to know that they are not particularly bright....rely heavily on sarchasm as an indication of their intelligence. (mean little school girl syndrome) Remark unappreciated.

Thanks to everyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has happened to me a few times. I finally noticed that my key was slightly bent.

Straightened it out problem solved.

I've tried most everything suggested here except for getting the front wheel off the ground, which I'm gonna try this morning.Thanks

As for the belittling quote above concerning Texas: It's been my experience in my lifetime that people that are not stupid, but not smart enough to know that they are not particularly bright....rely heavily on sarchasm as an indication of their intelligence. (mean little school girl syndrome) Remark unappreciated.

Thanks to everyone else.

As to the remark about Texas, Just consider that the source is from Las Vegas!

Just an aside, I'm pretty sure the keys are made of softer metal because they want the key to deform rather than damage the tumblers in the event things aren't meshing perfectly.

I'd rather buy a key than replace a damaged ignition switch, then pay to have it keyed to match the rest of the bike.

Wish I could help but I've no clue accept to turn it hard to the direction it's locked and see if the key turns.... Otherwise get a bigger hammer :unsure:

Mebby Odot could swing on by an make some corn and drink whilst he watch's ya tangle with it :D

:jester:

Houston's a far cry from dallas but I can toast ya from here while yer tryin to unlock the beast. But, ya still gotta love that "tractor logic".

Houston's a far cry from dallas but I can toast ya from here while yer tryin to unlock the beast. But, ya still gotta love that "tractor logic".
:poster_oops: Well dang it! I knew taking all these drugs were eventually going to cause problems :dribble: I got my citys confused, I thought useless was in the 'uston berbs.

nuther :drinks: perhaps?

:jester:

Last edited by a moderator: