2007 Altitude Surging Problem - Members Wanted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tophog

Reaction score
Well after a few weeks of seeing various posts related to altitude related surging problems I thought it would be best to post a single thread to collect information from anyone who has experienced surging related problems on a 2006 or 2007. While I think most of the reports are from 2007 owners I won't exclude 2006.

Please understand the surging issue is strictly related to altitude. The purpose of this thread is STRICTLY to track/report people who have altitude related surging issues and nothing to do with rough/abrust throttle, jerkiness, etc. It would be helpful if all 2007 owners posted regardless if you have experienced this problem.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: Many owners of 2007 FJR's have experienced mild to severe surging issues when riding their bikes thru altitude changes. The bike feels sluggish and acts as though it's running out of gas for anywhere from 1-4 seconds. Once the surging begins it usually continues until the bike is ridden to lower altitudes (approx. < 1000') or the bike is shut off/on. Some have reported that stopping and turning the bike off/on resets the ECM or at least appears to fix the problem. Some have claimed turning bike off/on only temporarily fixes the surging problem for a few minutes until bike see's sub-1000' altitudes.

Yet many 2007 owners have indicated they have not experienced the surging issue at all. Perhaps this is directly related to the problem only occurs when a bike is ridden thru and altitude change vice a person that lives @ 2500' that typically rides at/around 2500' without riding various altitudes.

On some bikes the surging is so bad it impacts safety as the bike will loose all power for 1-3 seconds at a time which has occurred in the middle of corners, etc. I have personally contacted Yamaha on this problem and yet they claim it's the first they have heard about it!? Yeah, right. My bike also surges ...badly and did on the very first trip I made with it with a whopping 300 miles on the bike. Over the course of a 4 day trip (1577 miles) I quit counting after 30+ times it acted up...to the point where it nearly spoiled the trip. TBS sync doesn't appear to have any impact on the problem.

Perhaps Yamaha or dealers will read this thread and realize the problem actually exists and it's time to fix it before someone gets killed.

Mods, can we make it a sticky?

EVERYONE needs to report this problem to their dealer and call Yamaha customer service (1.800.962.7926) and report it as a safety problem.

Questions:

===================================

What is the year of your bike, current mileage and city/state in which you live?

Has your bike surged at altitude? If so, have you noticed any pattern as to a particular altitude the surging occurs?

Have you experienced surging while changing altitude of 1000' or more without shutting motorcycle off?

Have you experienced surging riding at a steady elevation? If so, what elevation?

When you experienced surging did you try turning bike off/on? If so, did it correct the problem?

Have you contacted the dealer regarding the problem? If so, what has the dealer done to help resolve the problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks , this needed to get started.

I live in Iowa and ride an 07 and have not had the problem at altitude because we all know it is flat here. However I am leaving for N.Y. the 2nd of June and will ride Vermont and New Hampshire and will see what happens then. Then am going to Rocky mtn. national park so will know for sure if I experience the problem.

So far only 1500 miles and no problem on the flat land.

Regards

Mac

Questions:===================================

What is the year of your bike, current mileage and city/state in which you live?
'07 with just over 5k miles San Jose CA. Intermitant surging issue

Has your bike surged at altitude? If so, have you noticed any pattern as to a particular altitude the surging occurs?
The bike started surging within the first 200 miles. Every time I can recall has been in the mtns usually above 2000 feet.

Have you experienced surging while changing altitude of 1000' or more without shutting motorcycle off?
Yes.

Have you experienced surging riding at a steady elevation? If so, what elevation?
Not that I can recall. Always during a climb in elevation

you experienced surging did you try turning bike off/on? If so, did it correct the problem?[/b]
Yes, for 3-5 seconds per the service tech. I have to shut the bike down to clear it, or it will only get worse on me.

Have you contacted the dealer regarding the problem? If so, what has the dealer done to help resolve the problem?
The dealer seemed to think it was because of low milage on the bike. It hasn't done it to me in the past 1k miles or so.

Barbarian jumper mod, no difference in surging between stock CO and +4 CO. Has surged prior to, and after the mod.

My issue doesn't seem to be as severe as some, but annoying none the less. Hope this gets to Mama Yama.

I have a 2007 FJR1300A. Current mileage is 1450. I live in Charlotte, NC.

My surging happen when riding from Charlotte to Deals Gap. On the way to Deals Gap going higher in elevation I did have surging when going from a steady state and opening the throttle. The surging did not show up going lower in elevation back to Charlotte. It seems the surging was only happening when I was going higher in elevation but not at a constant elevation.

Charlotte elevation is 795 feet above sea level

Deals Gap elevation is 1962 feet.

This trip was made from Charlotte to Deals Gap and back to Charlotte in 1 day. I did not try any of the temporary fixes because at the time I didn't know of the problem. I have not called the dealer about this yet.

Questions:

2007 with 1k on the clock. I live in Telluride Colorado and my garage is at 9100'

No

No

No

When you experienced surging did you try turning bike off/on? If so, did it correct the problem?

N/A

N/A

I have ridden from home (9100') to destinations which included climbs to over 10,400 and down to 4200' and I am currently on a trip that has brought me down to below 4000' and now back up to about 7000'. No surging. Perhaps a track of unit numbers might shed some more light on the problem.

Well after a few weeks of seeing various posts related to altitude related surging problems I thought it would be best to post a single thread to collect information from anyone who has experienced surging related problems on a 2006 or 2007. While I think most of the reports are from 2007 owners I won't exclude 2006.
Please understand the surging issue is strictly related to altitude. The purpose of this thread is STRICTLY to track/report people who have altitude related surging issues and nothing to do with rough/abrust throttle, jerkiness, etc. It would be helpful if all 2007 owners posted regardless if you have experienced this problem.

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: Many owners of 2007 FJR's have experienced mild to severe surging issues when riding their bikes thru altitude changes. The bike feels sluggish and acts as though it's running out of gas for anywhere from 1-4 seconds. Once the surging begins it usually continues until the bike is ridden to lower altitudes (approx. < 1000') or the bike is shut off/on. Some have reported that stopping and turning the bike off/on resets the ECM or at least appears to fix the problem. Some have claimed turning bike off/on only temporarily fixes the surging problem for a few minutes until bike see's sub-1000' altitudes.

Yet many 2007 owners have indicated they have not experienced the surging issue at all. Perhaps this is directly related to the problem only occurs when a bike is ridden thru and altitude change vice a person that lives @ 2500' that typically rides at/around 2500' without riding various altitudes.

On some bikes the surging is so bad it impacts safety as the bike will loose all power for 1-3 seconds at a time which has occurred in the middle of corners, etc. I have personally contacted Yamaha on this problem and yet they claim it's the first they have heard about it!? Yeah, right. My bike also surges ...badly and did on the very first trip I made with it with a whopping 300 miles on the bike. Over the course of a 4 day trip (1577 miles) I quit counting after 30+ times it acted up...to the point where it nearly spoiled the trip. TBS sync doesn't appear to have any impact on the problem.

Perhaps Yamaha or dealers will read this thread and realize the problem actually exists and it's time to fix it before someone gets killed.

Mods, can we make it a sticky?

EVERYONE needs to report this problem to their dealer and call Yamaha customer service (1.800.962.7926) and report it as a safety problem.

Questions:

2007 FJR1300A, 195mi., Sandpoint, ID, elevation about 2100 feet.

NO, and N/A

NO

NO, and N/A

N/A, and N/A

N/A, and N/A

PS. As previously posted; I will be taking a trip mid-June through mid August OR, WA, CA, NV, AZ, TX, CO, MT ID, and from sea level to over 12,000 feet in elevation. I'll keep you all posted.

Questions:

What is the year of your bike, current mileage and city/state in which you live? [SIZE=12pt]2006. 16,000 miles in Springhill Florida[/SIZE]

Has your bike surged at altitude? If so, have you noticed any pattern as to a particular altitude the surging occurs? [SIZE=12pt]surging at altitude changes last weekend in NC btw 3000 and 5000 feet[/SIZE]

Have you experienced surging while changing altitude of 1000' or more without shutting motorcycle off?[SIZE=12pt] Did not shut off bike. At the time thought it was operator error[/SIZE]

Have you contacted the dealer regarding the problem? If so, what has the dealer done to help resolve the problem? No. Will just sell the bike and get aZX1400.

2006 FJR1300A, 7231 mi., Grapevine, TX, Elevation 595 Ft

NO, and N/A

NO

NO, and N/A

N/A, and N/A

N/A, and N/A

I've ridden the bike on tour at altitudes up to 6,000' with zero issues.

Bike has +4 CO mod and Staintune mufflers.

I've got 4000 miles on my '07. Surging is a REAL issue for me! Bought it in western NC, Blue Ridge Mountains - it surged there often, as if running out of gas, or water in the gas. Then rode cross-contry to Colorado. Riding up a pass from 6500' to 8500' I thought it was going to quite. My riding changes altitude frequently, but I hadn't associated it with altitude change - it just surges frequently, sometimes very badly!

I thought I was upgrading from my '04 to the '07 but have yet to see any benefit - between serious un-safe surging, serious un-safe jerky throttle, and annoying vibration.......................

2007A, 5,600 miles.

I live at 2,250' and regularly go above 5,000' (only 15 miles away) and quickly back down to 1,000' and have never had a surging problem at all. (knock on wood -my head.) I've had it down to sea level as well with no problems either direction.

I was riding last weekend with my son on my other FJR -a similar 2006 model- he did not experience any surging, while I did.

As said before I initially chalked it up to operator error, until on the way home to Florida, it ran well once I came off the mountains in Georgia.

So I have a surger and a non surger. Don't know what to make of it.

I rode my 2006 FJR from CT to CO and back last summer. While in CO I road the trail ridge road through Rocky Mountain National Park. The road peaks at 12183 feet.

I never noticed any surging anywhere in my trip. Actually the bike ran perfectly the whole trip. The only issue I had was the yellow warning light flashed on for about 3 seconds with some type of boxed shaped code, this was in the flats of Kansas at night. The warning light has never appeared again since, and when it did come on the bike not seem to run any differently. So I wrote if off as some type of anomaly.

I was going to post a pic of my bike with the Rockies in the background but I kept getting this message "Sorry, dynamic pages in the tags are not allowed" I don't know what that means or how to fix it, so I will try linking instead.

FJR & Rocky Mnts.

2007, ~4000 miles, Anderson, SC

Bike surged very bad on first trip to the BR Parkway, 3-4000 feet, when applying throttle coming out of curve and moving up-hill, 2-3 sec pause and then sudden throttle. So bad the suspension would be affected, not a safe condition. Returned to lower elevations. no fun at all with this problem. I put 45,000 miles on an '03 without any of these issues.

Yes.

No

Surging returned after stopping with motor off at altitude.

Dealer increased the CO setting by 2 units, seems to have helped a little but still not as good as with my '03.

It appears the dealers that have had this problem reported are uping the CO settings, probably at the advice of Yamaha. However in my case this did not make any difference what so ever. Tried +4 to +7 and still surged badly. Just food for thought.

2007, 8,000, Richlands NC

PC-III with O2 sensor disconnected, AP enabled map, stock exhaust, no CO mods.

Surged several times while riding the Blue Ridge Parkway from approx. 1,500 feet to approx. 3,800 feet altitude. Throttle must be locked or only have minimal changes. Downshifting two gears and working the throttle WFO several times caused the ECU to read new settings and corrected the issue. Tested this theory twice more in the same area and verified all the above as valid.

Yes, see above.

No.

No.

No, are you kidding?!!! I wouldn't let them touch my bike!

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted in response to your thread last week with NO as my answer to all of the questions. Well, I had my first surge and I am so exited! It was twins actually... they happened when I came from Park City UT up to the top of Parsley Summit (7500' maybe) and down to SLC. Not sure what the elevation was but I got two hickups out of her, then it was fine. No shutting off or anything else to correct. The rest of the day I went up, and I went down and I landed at sea level in CA. Hopefully my twin surges will grow to be big and strong in someone elses bike.

I live at 4800', travel over 10500' Grand Mesa.

Has not been and issue.

Bike has 5000+ miles and is an 06.

Status
Not open for further replies.