What could get in oil ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deagle

Reaction score
Is it possible for coolant to get into the oil? Fuel can, right?

I had the tick fix done 1000 miles ago. Changed the oil 800 miles ago. I know the level seems to change right after an oil change, and I had it a little below center in the site glass.

Now suddenly it almost covers the whole site glass. Haven't touched the oil and like I said, for the first 800 miles it was below half of the site glass.

What is potential for problems here? I'm still a little weiry of the bike until I build confidence after the tick fix. Is there anything they would have done that if not put back together properly something could get into the oil?

I'm not freaking out yet, as I know it just could be the way I parked it the last several times, but I'm doing it the same way I always have.

Appreciate any help.

It is possible for coolant to get in the oil if the head gasket is not installed correctly or somehow failed. If that happened the oil will have a milky color to it. If your oil still looks like motor oil, you're probably OK. Can't hurt to drain it out and get a good look at the color.

Last edited by a moderator:
deagle,

As long as it looks like oil, it is oil.

The phenomenon of these bikes 'making' oil is widely known - it has to do with trapped oil in the engine not showing immediately after a change, and only after running adds to the level showing in the sight glass.

If you added the correct amount of oil during the oil change, don't worry about it.

It does look just like oil. Just a little more than I expected 800 miles later. I'm doing 400 miles this weekend. Will keep an eye on it but feel better now. Thanks guys.

Was the comparison (center of sight glass vs. top of sight glass) done at relatively the same time (i.e. both cold after not running the bike for hours or immediately after shutting the bike off, sidestand vs center stand)?

If the spot you check it at is not level you'll get different readings. Left side lower it will show more in sight glass, right side lower it will show less oil . . .

Just for your own peace of mind, the next time you change oil observe when it just starts showing in the sight glass . Then observe how much it takes to get it to the middle of the sight glass. I am sure you will be surprised how very little it takes. So if the bike is positioned just a little bit differently when you check it, than it was the first time ,you can get a different reading.

Mac

When it's on the centerstand you can check how level the bike is (side-to-side) with a bubble level. I sit a small bubble level on the fuel cap area. You'd be amazed how the level varies inside a garage on concrete.

While checking the oil level in the final gear case recently some oil ran out when I removed the oil filler bolt. The bike appeared level but obviously it was tilted a bit to the left as compared to the its upright position when I changed/filled the oil previously.

So small deviations from level can offer observable liquid level changes in sight glasses, etc.

Same way tested, same place in flat garage, same centerstand. I've changed the oil about 10 times now, and I've gotten the hang of not panicking after the "first" ride after an oil change. Oil level doesn't seem to be moving any more now (almost to the top of the sight glass). Oil looks like oil. I suppose any lean angle coming in to the garage may have some impact? Either way, it's not rising anymore from the last couple of weeks. I'm not panicking as much after listening to all of the advice. Thanks. I'll keep an eye on.

I always put in a one gallon jug of oil -- no more. The level is about 40 - 45% in the sight glass. But after several miles of operation the level rises to just a bit below the top mark.

I change the oil hot (immediately after riding) and then fill to the min mark. After a few rides it goes up but not too much.

The FJR is very odd. In every other engine I have owned or worked on, I have always had to add oil after a run, but not the FJR.

If after a few rides it lowers, add a touch, but I have never lost any oil in the FJR.

I you have any doughts drain the engine immediatly and save what you pull out. If your oil is contaminated you may loose the engine. Better safe than sorry. Check the smell and the color.

If you've added oil to the mark cold, then checked the oil hot, you are going to see some increase in the level of the site glass due to expansion. Consistancy is the key in checking the oil. Get a benchmark, either cold or warm, and check you oil the same way, i.e. up on the center stand, start the engine, run for a while, turn off the engine, then check the level within a determined timeframe (say 30 seconds to a couple minutes after shutdown).