Clutch not disengaging

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnniegoldfish

Reaction score
Anyone having problems with the 07 and the clutch not disengaging. Pull in clutch and wait literally 2 seconds before clutch will disengage, blipping the trottle helps, just changed oil at 2k and bled clutch to check for air. Any Ideas?

For Sale, clutch replaced, 6K, $10000, clean

802-746-9956

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone having problems with the 07 and the clutch not disengaging. Pull in clutch and wait literally 2 seconds before clutch will disengage, blipping the trottle helps, just changed oil at 2k and bled clutch to check for air. Any Ideas?

Either low on fluid, fluid leaking or air in line - the system is pretty simple so shouldn't be too hard to find the problem. I'd take it to the dealer and have (make) them fix it... You've got a warranty!

I too am having this exact problem. I have an '07 with 1700 miles on it. I notice the problem the most in the morning when the bike is warming up. I don't notice it all after the bike is fully warmed and I've been riding for several miles. Definitely a problem!

I too am having this exact problem. I have an '07 with 1700 miles on it. I notice the problem the most in the morning when the bike is warming up. I don't notice it all after the bike is fully warmed and I've been riding for several miles. Definitely a problem!

ADMIN - Please do not move this thread but cannot resist...

FOR SALE - 2003 FJR1300 (with no clutch problems whatsoever) :assassin:

Here's the latest and I thought it was kinda weird, but the clutch is getting smoove. When on a hill use the clutch to hold the bike in place instead of the brake and wallah, afew times of this and :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Any comments would be greatly appreciated to help me understand what happened.

Johnnie

Either low on fluid, fluid leaking or air in line - the system is pretty simple so shouldn't be too hard to find the problem. I'd take it to the dealer and have (make) them fix it... You've got a warranty!

Well, it seems that the clutch disks were dragging and binding and you polished up the surfaces by slipping them to hold your bike still on a hill. I guess they may have had a rough surface from the factory, but more likely is a hydraulic problem which prevented them from being released fully. If you did not bleed them out good then I think that is still a good idea.

I'm having the same problem with my 07. Dealer and his shop manager tell me that they are seeing it a lot on the 07s, usually when the bike is cold and only when down shifting. The claim it will go away after a couple or three thousand miles. Long as it's covered by the warranty I'll wait and see.

Never had that problem with the FJR but my 2000 MZ Skorpion tour wants to take about a foot jump forward when I start after sitting for a while.

Be interested to know why?

Must be a similar problem.

Yea to all the unbelievers (AE) I can still pull in a clutch.

Re my previous post. May be relative or not. Motor is a 660 Yamaha, clutch is cable pull. Clutch only sticks when first starting and cold.

FJR problem seems to revolve around plates not releasing at various times.

Similar symptoms be interested to see the cure

Well the problem has not completely gone away. As for giving it thousands of miles I have 2500 on it and it is down right unsafe when slowing down and you ahve your clutch pulled in and the bike is still going forward. This week it is going back to the shop and they said they would tear it down and were sure Yamaha would warranty it. This is a great bike, but this flaw has got to be fixed or a topless Solara is looking good.

Johnnie

I'm having the same problem with my 07. Dealer and his shop manager tell me that they are seeing it a lot on the 07s, usually when the bike is cold and only when down shifting. The claim it will go away after a couple or three thousand miles. Long as it's covered by the warranty I'll wait and see.

Johnnie:

My '06 had the same problem. Yamaha authorized a clutch disassembly/plate soak. The dealer also disassembled the slave cylinder, cleaned and reassembled. The problem was solved.

Dave

P.S. IMHO there is no such thing as a good looking Solara! :eek: )

Johnnie:My '06 had the same problem. Yamaha authorized a clutch disassembly/plate soak. The dealer also disassembled the slave cylinder, cleaned and reassembled. The problem was solved.

Dave

P.S. IMHO there is no such thing as a good looking Solara! :eek: )
dhalen32

I have 07 with 1300 miles doing same thing. When it is cold it feels like the clutch has a delayed reaction. When downshifting you have to blip the throttle to get the clutch plates to disengage. It seems like its getting worse. I'm going to dealer tomorrow to ask if they will clean/rebuild slave cyl.Thanks for the info it makes a lot of sense.

Art