Fit and finish issue:gap below speedometer on 06/07

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoneman91

Reaction score
Aurora,Colorado --Rocky Mt motorcycle heaven
Yamaha has always impressed me with their fit and finish on their motorcycles. I have expected Yamaha to always have a superior quality look to their motorcycles. I still remember the beautiful finish and fit on my 84 FJ1100 and 79 XT 500 (beautiful aluminum mirror polished finish on gas tank)

I am surprised to note that my 07 has this ugly 1/4 inch gap between the two inner panels underneath the speedometer--where the two inner panels meet. The two panels that meet underneath the speedo have perfect fit to the outer fairing--but dont come close to meeting together under the speedo. And I dont see how refitting the two panels will close this gap.

All of the 07s that I have seen have this irregular open ugly gap under the speedo--is there a fix for this?? Does anyone have a 06 or 07 without this gap?? As anyone had the dealer fit it?? If so--how was it corrected?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do believe that all of ours has this "flaw" and it was somehow part of the design. I do not know the reason why, and I was two years old when your 84 FJ1100 has such a nice dash, so I don't know what it was like. Maybe someone else has a more technical explaintion for the gap.

I guess you could stuff some flowers in the gap to make it not so ugly :)

If I may..I would suggest it is for airflow through the machine as some of the girlysquats who ride these beauties have had a consistent whinge about them being a little hot when ridden in the summer months? the nerve of some people?

I do believe that all of ours has this "flaw" and it was somehow part of the design. I do not know the reason why, and I was two years old when your 84 FJ1100 has such a nice dash, so I don't know what it was like. Maybe someone else has a more technical explaintion for the gap.
I guess you could stuff some flowers in the gap to make it not so ugly :)
I take it that your 06 doesnt have this gap in the two inner panels?? And it was the general fit and finish of the 84 FJ not just the dash that was almost perfect.

And thanks for making me feel so old--1984 wasnt that long ago!!

If I may..I would suggest it is for airflow through the machine as some of the girlysquats who ride these beauties have had a consistent whinge about them being a little hot when ridden in the summer months? the nerve of some people?
Huh??

On page 6-9 of the Owner's Manual the drawing for Panel C in the upper right corner shows the two Panels C & D interlacing together under the Speedo. The drawing shows a little 'finger' projecting out from C that interlaces into D.

You say there's a big gap there?

On page 6-9 of the Owner's Manual the drawing for Panel C in the upper right corner shows the two Panels C & D interlacing together under the Speedo. The drawing shows a little 'finger' projecting out from C that interlaces into D.
You say there's a big gap there?
Yeah--there is a gap and I do see that finger that should interlace with the opposite panel. I was hoping that it would also lock to the opposing panel--but apparently it doesnt.

Other than this gap--the rest of the bike is near perfect. I am just surprised that the Japanese didnt engineer this better. The inner panels aren't placed on the bike as part of the dealer set up --are they??

This gap is in direct view of the pilot when operating the bike. It just sticks out like a sore thumb.

I'd expect the assembler has to connect the battery. I don't know if this panel has to come off to connect the battery terminals?

There don't appear to be any forces acting on that sliver of plastic. A push-pin rivet to the right secures the plastic. I guess you're concerned about appearance but structurally it's probably fine as is.

I'd expect the assembler has to connect the battery. I don't know if this panel has to come off to connect the battery terminals?
There don't appear to be any forces acting on that sliver of plastic. A push-pin rivet to the right secures the plastic. I guess you're concerned about appearance but structurally it's probably fine as is.
Yeah- the appearance is my only concern. The rest of the bike has very high fit and finish and it is just surprising that it is there.

The battery panel isnt involved in this gap below the speedo. The battery panel is to the right of the two panels involved in this gap. These two panels are the panels that have the headlight adjustment knobs. They meet together under the speedo --or should meet together and dont on my bike and other 07s that I have looked at.

Has anyone fixed this on their 06/07?? If so--how??

I'm thinking its just there. This is the first post i've seen having to do with the gap. Yes, mine does have the gap. I have nothing to compare it to so it looks normal to me.

Eric

I never noticed that gap on my 07 until you pointed it out . Shame on you , now I know it is there.

Mac

my 06 has a little bit of a mis-match of the front panels, just under the 6 o'clock point of the speedo.

pain in the arse, eh?

and the more you look at it, the worse it gets.

The fix is simple...remove the little black plastic push/loc pins from each side panel that borders the center air vent assy...this frees them up a bit...next push in fairly hard on each side panel where they contact the left and right sides of the center air vent assy...each panel will snap in and behind more and end up around the left and right ends of the air vent assy with a better fit...the side panels will then meet in the middle w/o a gap...reinstall the plastic pins and the gap will be gone...same deal for me on an '06 and now an '07 fresh from Yamaha.

Gary in Fairbanks

The fix is simple...remove the little black plastic push/loc pins from each side panel that borders the center air vent assy...this frees them up a bit...next push in fairly hard on each side panel where they contact the left and right sides of the center air vent assy...each panel will snap in and behind more and end up around the left and right ends of the air vent assy with a better fit...the side panels will then meet in the middle w/o a gap...reinstall the plastic pins and the gap will be gone...same deal for me on an '06 and now an '07 fresh from Yamaha.
Gary in Fairbanks
Bingo, that's exactly what's required. This gap drove me crazy until I figured that out.

Personally, I'm more comfortable with small gaps. :)

Fiddling with the adjacent panels definitely allows you to close the gap. I induced the gap after major farkle surgery and had to stare at it for a few days before deciding it was unacceptable.

Oh, E1Allen, in 1984 I was faster than you and riding the BIG bikes. Be careful what you brag about, you youngin'!!!

:)

Did you get her a jacket yet?

Gary in Fairbanks
cheers Gary - I'll give it a go at the weekend,

thanks again - David