Advice on temperature readings - What's normal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkerhound

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I came on here in April and introduced myself and my new Black Cherry. I had several hoops to jump through before I could ride (no license, MSF class (good deal), work related issues (those sucked), etc. (too many to cover). Anyway, I finally yesterday did the 20 miles break in and subsequent oil change & rear drain refill (sparklies galore). Now my question for those you that went this route (basicly the Moto-man break in, somewhat modified) how many bars did you see and at what ambient temps did you see them while doing the 20ish miles?

During the flogging I saw 5 bars. Too high for me to feel comfortable. I marked it up that maybe I was a little rough on it and it responded with 5 bars. However, I went out today and took a 25 mile jaunt (very moderate on the throttle) and up jumps the devil to 5 bars again. The outside temps are around 78 to 80 degrees, rather cool. Have I hurt it or is this the norm?

Awesome machine, but I'm now worried that may have put some stretch marks in her. What say ye?

The Hound

Hey Folks,
I came on here in April and introduced myself and my new Black Cherry. I had several hoops to jump through before I could ride (no license, MSF class (good deal), work related issues (those sucked), etc. (too many to cover). Anyway, I finally yesterday did the 20 miles break in and subsequent oil change & rear drain refill (sparklies galore). Now my question for those you that went this route (basicly the Moto-man break in, somewhat modified) how many bars did you see and at what ambient temps did you see them while doing the 20ish miles?

During the flogging I saw 5 bars. Too high for me to feel comfortable. I marked it up that maybe I was a little rough on it and it responded with 5 bars. However, I went out today and took a 25 mile jaunt (very moderate on the throttle) and up jumps the devil to 5 bars again. The outside temps are around 78 to 80 degrees, rather cool. Have I hurt it or is this the norm?

Awesome machine, but I'm now worried that may have put some stretch marks in her. What say ye?

The Hound

At speed, 4-5 is normal. Usually mine doesn't kick up to 5 until I hit a few traffic lights back to back (I have an 06). Then once underway for a bit it will drop back down to 4. Your bike is new and is probably running just a little warmer than it will once it is fully broken in. OMHO

Hey Folks,

The Hound

At speed, 4-5 is normal. Usually mine doesn't kick up to 5 until I hit a few traffic lights back to back (I have an 06). Then once underway for a bit it will drop back down to 4. Your bike is new and is probably running just a little warmer than it will once it is fully broken in. OMHO
Whew, I like the way you talk! I did rip on it a little in the first 20 miles, nothing over the top, I didn't think though. Appreciate your comeback and ride'r safe!

The Hound

Since you brought it up; when I broke mine in about 10 days ago ala modified motoman I was at 4-5 bars. Thought nothing of it. Now, with 300 miles on the Cherry and temps of 75-80 I notice on the road "normal" seems to be 4-5 bars. However, get in town in stop and go traffic and the bars at prolonged idle will usually be at one or at the most two above the mid point (total seven bars). Of course, as soon as you are moving for a bit and getting airflow it goes down 2-3 bars. If anyone knows if this is normal (or not) please let me know; I'm assuming it is. Thanks.

98.6. Anal more accurate, and more fun. Oops, gotta read the text more often. :unsure:

4 bars down the high way or any prolonged run at 40 mph or better. Sometimes up to 7 bars in stop and go traffic, but my bike is new and has never seen ambient temps over 82F yet so it may go higher on the highway.

Same-four bars while moving, six or seven in traffic, fans comes on at seven so consequently I've never seen over seven bars. It does get warm sitting in traffic with the fan running though.

WoW, are the newer FJRs that much different. My '04 is normally 2 bars any outside temp normal speeds. 3 bars warmer temp, stop lites etc. 4 bars warm temp & stop & go on the Hotlanta freeways & fan comes on & bops between 3 & 4 bars with fan on with 4 bars. Never seen higher than 4 bars. Can't lay my hands on it but someone posted Bars= Temp page a long time ago but it looks like the new instrument panels & radiators FJRs read temps differently. I'll bet the engine temps are actually the same from the older to the newer. Hard Motoman breakin for me with no problems...Later,,, De :rolleyes:

WoW, are the newer FJRs that much different.
Yes.

The Gen IIs have more bars than Las Vages. Or, should that be, the Gen Is have fewer bars than Salt Lake City? In any case, there is a difference -- Gen I has 6 bars and Gen II has 10 bars so they can more accurately tell when they have overheated :)

WoW, are the newer FJRs that much different.
Yes.

The Gen IIs have more bars than Las Vages. Or, should that be, the Gen Is have fewer bars than Salt Lake City? In any case, there is a difference -- Gen I has 6 bars and Gen II has 10 bars so they can more accurately tell when they have overheated :)
Haha, yes. The more accurate the meter, the more reason to stress over it?

My other ST bike is a '98 VFR800. It has the accuracy of a digital temp display built in. When I first got it I obsessed over the fact that it would run at a displayed 175 degrees F as long as you were moving, but climbed to 210F at stop lights before the electric fan kicked on. Then I looked at the location of the temp sending unit for the display. It is at the top of the radiator. All it is showing you is the radiator temperature, not the coolant temp inside the engine. Come to find out the coolant in the engine is at ~200F all the time, regulated by the thermostat. I now click the temp display over to show oiutside air temp and obsess over that instead... :ermm: