Sorry..Another Suspension question???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked Webby

Right is Harder than Wrong.
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Been searching about other riders suspension setups...The thing is that sportriders' recommendations say for earlier years than the 06/07. I was wondering if all years FJR's share the same suspension setup?? They obviously don't share the same ergo's. I did read about Jeffashes & Warchilds and took note that Ashe has a 2007. Anybody got any input regarding their 06/07 setup. ECT ECT ECT...

Thanks ahead of time.

WW

I used that set-up on my 06 and it has been quite good. I'm going to fine tune a little since weight and road conditions can effect the outcome.

I was wondering if all years FJR's share the same suspension setup??
Physically the parts are different. The front forks are different and the rear swingarm is longer. That being said, Highlander relocated the Wilbers from his '04 to his '06. One would think that "set-up", i.e., preload, rebound, compression, sag, etc., are adjusted the same and setting the bike for your personal riding style should and could be done using the same guidelines.

I agree with the others in that you can use the suggested settings for any year FJR as a starting point. There are so many variables, such as riding style, weight being carried, tires and tire pressure, and road conditions that you will find it worth your while to fine tune the settings according to what feels right to you.

IMO, the springs on the 07 are a bit stiffer than the previous years. Yami may just be using a better quality spring with closer tolerances, or maybe the 07s got a better batch.

The differences I've seen are minor, but noticeable. The biggest difference between suspension setups on Gen-I and Gen-II bikes is that the 07 is more tolerant of tire differences. An 05 will not forgive a soft sidewall combined with stock suspension.

Good to know. Jeff, I weigh around 215. Think I should start with your setup (as baseline) or Sportriders?? For my 07.

Last edited by a moderator:
JeffAshe wrote:

The differences I've seen are minor, but noticeable. The biggest difference between suspension setups on Gen-I and Gen-II bikes is that the 07 is more tolerant of tire differences. An 05 will not forgive a soft sidewall combined with stock suspension.
That seems to dovetail nicely with fact Bstone used 3 ply sidewalls in the "N" designated BT020 that was OE. The only 020 built that way.

Good to know. Jeff, I weigh around 215. Think I should start with your setup (as baseline) or Sportriders?? For my 07.
IMO, the SportRider settings are too close to limits, especially for the 07. Whenever you start running rebound and/or compression close to shut down limits (tight), you are compensating for an insufficient spring. The nice balance that should occur between rebound/compression is gone and the typically linear behavior of good suspension is lost.

Again, IMO, it's a formula for disaster that can easily lead to pogo unloads, bottoming locks, and loads of other suspension nasties.

Short answer, start with a more moderate setting. If you find yourself approacing Yami's specified limits, then it's time to change springs and/or shock. Brand of tire change can help too.

Jeff

I have a 2007 AE. When I checked my settings from the dealer for a base line I found all my front adjustments were the normal factory settings the manual lists as standard. Preload at 4th line, rebound damp. at 12 clicks out with a max of 17, comp. damp. 12 out with a max of 21.

But on the rear shock the rebound damp. setting on my shock was 33 clicks out?!?! I was expecting the factory standard of 12, and even the manual says 20 clicks out is the maximum out for soft. Is this much extra adjustment beyond "softest" normal or is my shock out of spec? I both felt and heard it click 33 times as I dialed it in to max hard. Dialing it back out I could not only get back to 33 but all the way to 45 out. I'd appreciate someone with more knowledge than me to confirm that this is normal and settings past 20 out are just "uselessly too soft." Just paranoid since all the other settings matched the standard.

I went ahead and dialed in the front to settings I liked. Then I tested the rear at 33, 20, 10, and 5. and it did get progressively stiffer and better, so it appears to work fine. I liked 6 clicks out and its nice and stiff and rebounds evenly with the front and rides like a dream, but that 33 clicks out setting has just been nagging me. Any insights?