Forks Bent?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
I tore my bike down and took it out to see if it rode o.k.

Bike feels like it rides steady at speeds up to 45, but the handlebars are not centered. No wobbling or anything though.

Does that pretty much mean the forks are bent?

When I asked the magic 8-ball it said "outlook not good"

Last edited by a moderator:
Not necessarily. Try loosening your steering head and both forks on the trees. Retorque to spec, then see if anything has changed.

If you think a fork tube might be bent (unlikely) you can loosen the clamp bolts on the two triple clamps for that fork leg and try turning the fork tube. It will rotate inside the slider and inside the triple clamps if the bolts are loosened. If the slider moves around indicating runout in the fork tube then it just might be bent. If it just turns smoothly with no movement of the slider then it is pretty darned straight.

When you do what Scab suggested also loosen the front axle bolt. Wiggle the front end assembly back and forth to make sure everything in the fork tubes/triple clamps/stem bolt is centered and not in a bind THEN retorque everything being carefull to not impart any twisting on the fork assembly as a whole while trying to tighten any one bolt. Snug everything gently first and then torque to spec. You can easily tweak the front end out of alignment by starting with a disassembled system and twisting something while torqueing the first bolt. Classic thing to NOT do is to flop the assembly against the stop and torque the stem bolt first......

I would say there is a great possibility and you should not dismiss it. Considering that you have an 04 now would be a good time to change the seals. Take the forks off and take them to a shop. It should cost you roughly 150 for the new seals and if they are bent it should not be that much more from that point on. just do no take the bike there. That is where they get you, removing the forks from the bike.

Not necessarily. Try loosening your steering head and both forks on the trees. Retorque to spec, then see if anything has changed.
O.k. I've never done any of this so, is this what I am loosening?

forks.jpg

1? 2? 3? In any order???

Am I even looking at the right page in my service manual...

FrontForks007Custom.jpg

Leave number 1 alone! Below number 3, there are 2 bolts (each side) that tighten the bottom triple, just like the top. Also number 2, and the front wheel axle bolt like Jestal said. Wiggle then re-tighten according to the Jestal instructions. So, loosen 2, 3, and the two bolts below #3. (The forks run through th lower triple too.)

See, they may have just shifted. Much like the position your legs would be in if photographed mid-stride. This will make the handlebars seem off-center while riding because the caster effect of the front wheel will demand that the wheel roll straight.

Do all this while the bike is on the centerstand, with a jack supporting the weight of the bike, but allowing the tire to make contact with floor. If front wheel is off the ground, your front forks may try to slide out!

When re-tightening, make sure the height is the same on the top of both forks.

I don't know what the manual says, I don't have one. But, when I reinstalled my forks, I snugged the top two clamps. (your #3) (just enough to hold them from slipping out) Then, take the slack out of the two below, but don't tighten. Retorque your #2, then carefully tighten all the fork clamps.

If your tubes seem straight, pull them out of the upper tripple and see if they slide back in easy. They just found a twisted lower tripple tree clamp on mine. It's a quick and easy check since you're loosening the tripple trees already.

Leave number 1 alone! Below number 3, there are 2 bolts (each side) that tighten the bottom triple, just like the top. Also number 2, and the front wheel axle bolt like Jestal said. Wiggle then re-tighten according to the Jestal instructions. So, loosen 2, 3, and the two bolts below #3. (The forks run through th lower triple too.)

Do all this while the bike is on the centerstand, with a jack supporting the weight of the bike, but allowing the tire to make contact with floor. If front wheel is off the ground, your front forks may try to slide out!
I do not have a jack. I guess I should just leave this one to a mechanic? Loosening the bolts without the weight of the bike supported does not sound like a good idea to me.

Thanks for the info.

think-think my friend.

You have 2x4. Assemble few together. Have someone lean on the tail section and then slide the 2x4 assembly under the pipes. Problem solved, embarrassment avoided :)

BINGO!!!!!! Thanks for the advice Scab, you were absolutely correct.

Don (DRJFJR) just so happens to live 3 blocks down from me. He helped me loosen everything up, straighten it out, and retorque.

Poof, it's fixed. The bike feels fine. I guess short of taking it to a place that has one of those laser guided frame checkers thingies, there will be no way for me to know if anything else is wrong.

Talk about a tank! This thing has been through 2 wrecks, the latter of which it actually hit a tree, and it just keeps ticking (not in the valve guide way...)