06 ignition failure

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cota95

RI Beach Pop
Reaction score
[SIZE=18pt]Third failure recorded...[/SIZE]

This is really a big deal because if it happens at speed you just shut down!!! More details on parts page.

I was on a trip from Rhode Island to the Dragon last week when I came out of a diner in Ashville NC and the bike had no power. Checked all the fuses etc and no joy. Went to the phone book and looked up the local Yamaha dealer , called a wrecker, and got my bike over to them (MR Motors). The guys there were super helpful when I explained my problem and the fact that I had three other guys broiling in the sun outside and that I had to get back to RI (about 1300 miles from Ashville). This problem must be more widespread than we thought because after a search it was determined that they're wasn't a SINGLE IGNITION SWITCH available from Yamaha anywhere in the system!!!! :angry2: Fortunantely, because of a crack mechanic at the dealer, he was able to adapt a Honda ATV ignition switch in next to stock switch and it worked flawlessly until I got home today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is Yamaha having so many problems with electrical parts on the FJR???

Could it be because of out sourcing their work???????? :unsure:

weekend rider :) :D

at least your power steering did not go out when you lost power

Was it the switch, or the the wiring going into the switch?
I'm not sure...I didn't know about the other two failures when I was having it repaired. The fact that Yamaha didn't have a single ignition switch available in the parts chain could indicate that the problem is alot more widespread than just the three that have been reported here.

OK, I really get paranoid easily. But on this very active post there have only been three reported ignition failures (I have a hard time searching and couldn't find the other 2). How many 06 FJRs were sold? 3,000? Of course not all are FJR forum members. So, I am just wondering how widespread this problem actually is?

John

Was it the switch, or the the wiring going into the switch?
My failure on my 06 AE several months back and the second one after Carver, was a faulty ignition switch which YOC replaced quickly under warranty. No problem yet on my 05 with over 50k miles.

The fact that Yamaha didn't have a single ignition switch available in the parts chain could indicate that the problem is alot more widespread than just the three that have been reported here.

Easy there Cota, ignition switches don't die that often. Sucks that you're the lucky one though. More likely there aren't any ignition switches in the system because it's a very low demand item.

Hope you get it fixed right soon and can forget about it.

The fact that Yamaha didn't have a single ignition switch available in the parts chain could indicate that the problem is alot more widespread than just the three that have been reported here.

Easy there Cota, ignition switches don't die that often. Sucks that you're the lucky one though. More likely there aren't any ignition switches in the system because it's a very low demand item.

Hope you get it fixed right soon and can forget about it.
I agree with the fact that ignition switches don't fail often. In 37 years of owning motorcycles, this is a first for me. I'm getting all worked up because all three of these failures (that we have heard about) occured only on the 06, and not on earlier or later years. And the result of this failure is total shutdown. I had 19,000 trouble free miles on my 04 and 14,100 on my 06 before this. I hope your right OC and I'm 'chicken little' on this one....

I think "chicken little" is a little hard on yourself Cota. I feel for you, you've got to be frustrated by this. I know I sure would be.

If you have the time, you might wander over to the FJROwners forum and do some searches there for ignition switch failures. I do seem to recall a few on the Gen I bikes, but few and far between.

FJR06

Yamaha told my dealer that they would have more ignition switches by 06/08. My dealer says he had another 06 with an ignition failure in last december/January. He said that Yamaha called them up and wanted the switch sent back asap for evaluation. Hum...

Yamaha told my dealer that they would have more ignition switches by 06/08. My dealer says he had another 06 with an ignition failure in last december/January. He said that Yamaha called them up and wanted the switch sent back asap for evaluation. Hum...
That reminds me.. I wonder what WarChild heard back from Cypress about my ignition failure? WC, you out there buddy? :rolleyes:

[SIZE=18pt]Third failure recorded...[/SIZE]

This is really a big deal because if it happens at speed you just shut down!!! More details on parts page.

I was on a trip from Rhode Island to the Dragon last week when I came out of a diner in Ashville NC and the bike had no power. Checked all the fuses etc and no joy. Went to the phone book and looked up the local Yamaha dealer , called a wrecker, and got my bike over to them (MR Motors). The guys there were super helpful when I explained my problem and the fact that I had three other guys broiling in the sun outside and that I had to get back to RI (about 1300 miles from Ashville). This problem must be more widespread than we thought because after a search it was determined that they're wasn't a SINGLE IGNITION SWITCH available from Yamaha anywhere in the system!!!! :angry2: Fortunantely, because of a crack mechanic at the dealer, he was able to adapt a Honda ATV ignition switch in next to stock switch and it worked flawlessly until I got home today.
[SIZE=18pt]POSSIBLE 4TH IGNITION FAILURE[/SIZE]

yesterday evening art about 18:40 my 06 just went dead, no warning. Is at the dealer now will report back within 24 hours if it is the ignition wires or switch.

Gadi

So is this different than the discussion about tight wiring from the ignition switch being zip tied tooo tight? I'm still looking for that earlier discussion.

That reminds me.. I wonder what WarChild heard back from Cypress about my ignition failure? WC, you out there buddy? :rolleyes:
I did talk to one contact, who indicated the problems aren't with the switches (though obviously, there can be a "one-off" on any assembly-line component. Maybe this was the case with cota95; maybe not.).

Rather, he said the problem is one that we have already diagnosed in that earlier thread: the wire-harness leading to the ignition switch is frequently stretched waaaaaay too tight, and can easily chaff against an adjacent steel member (nose sub-frame, IIRC) until the hot lead shorts out against the grounded frame. When that occurs, the big 30-amp Main Fuse says "adiós, muchachos", and there you are, left stranded on the side of the road..... :blink:

cota95, Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Apparently you found the right dealer to get you sorted and on your way. The dealer I visited in that area was called MR Cycles and they were all very courteous and friendly. Is that the place you meant?

Are you going to be a two-key bike or is Yamaha matching up the ignition to the rest of the locks?

cota95, Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Apparently you found the right dealer to get you sorted and on your way. The dealer I visited in that area was called MR Cycles and they were all very courteous and friendly. Is that the place you meant?
Are you going to be a two-key bike or is Yamaha matching up the ignition to the rest of the locks?
It was MR Cycles and they did their best to get us back under way. I'm going to take the new ignition set to a locksmith when it comes in. Yamaha does not offer complete lock sets <_<

It was MR Cycles and they did their best to get us back under way. I'm going to take the new ignition set to a locksmith when it comes in. Yamaha does not offer complete lock sets <_<
I was number two in the switch failure parade. Save yourself a lot of potential locksmith problems like Carver had(#1 on the list) and just keep the new ignition switch key and the original key for the saddle and bags. Just a suggestion which has worked out well for me.

I did talk to one contact, who indicated the problems aren't with the switches (though obviously, there can be a "one-off" on any assembly-line component. Maybe this was the case with cota95; maybe not.).

Rather, he said the problem is one that we have already diagnosed in that earlier thread: the wire-harness leading to the ignition switch is frequently stretched waaaaaay too tight, and can easily chaff against an adjacent steel member (nose sub-frame, IIRC) until the hot lead shorts out against the grounded frame. When that occurs, the big 30-amp Main Fuse says "adiós, muchachos", and there you are, left stranded on the side of the road..... :blink:
In my case fuses were all checked and metered and they were ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.