Throttle Adjustment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter Mike

Reaction score
Just rode my 2 day old FJR to work for the first time today and my right wrist is killing me. There is about a 1/2 inch amount of play in the throttle and I keep having to adjust my grip when finally at cruise. This repositioning of my hand took a bunch out of my carpel tunnel wrist. How easy is it to adjust the throttle linkage without having to take my new bike back to the stealer for adjustment???

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get about 70% of the play out, without lifting the tank and going to the engine side of the adjustment. Adjustment is near the throttle tube/grip on the cable itself.

The cable play that occurs after the mechanism settles to idle, the part you feel when you continue to rotate past idle stop, must be adjusted out at the engine side. Even that's not too difficult if you are reasonably mechanical.

You can get about 70% of the play out, without lifting the tank and going to the engine side of the adjustment. Adjustment is near the throttle tube/grip on the cable itself.
The cable play that occurs after the mechanism settles to idle, the part you feel when you continue to rotate past idle stop, must be adjusted out at the engine side. Even that's not too difficult if you are reasonably mechanical.
Thanks Jeff...

I adjusted the turnbuckle by the throttle grip first thing but that didn't do it so it looks like I get to take the tank off and go from there. Not a problem as I had to do the same thing with the Venture. I still think that this is the BEST bike I have ever had!

Any advice on how to adjust the engine side of the cable? I've ran out of tightening room on the adjustment screw near the grip...

You need to adjust the cables at the engine first and then fine tune at the throttle. The cable nearest the throttle body is what you want to adjust to pick up the slack. The recommended free play is 3 - 5 mms. The free play has no bearing on how hard the throttle is to turn, so don't expect it to turn any easier. When your done with your adjustment make sure you test it with the bars all the way to the right and the left.

I thought they had fixed this problem on the 2008. My 2007 throttle spring is so tight that my wrist aches on long rides. After a 2000 mile ride through Utah I took the bike to the dealer. He took off the tank and cut or unwrapped the middle throttle spring. By doing that it made the throttle much easier to use and my Throttlemeister now works. The throttle was so stiff that the Throttlemeister would not hold the throttle open. After releasing the center spring the Throttlemeister now works and my wrist is now at rest.

Good luck. Brain Surgeon

PS: if that doesn't help I can do your surgery!