Yamaha Touring Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDillon

Reaction score
Just installed the Yamaha factory touring windscreen on my '07 FJR. 2 things:

A+ to Yamaha for making a nice windscreen that fits me (6'3) and was amazingly easy to install. It does what it says, is the perfect height, and even all the way down, reduces the buffeting that the stock windscreen had.

F- to Yamaha for the stupid "Only clean this windscreen with non-gasoline" sticker that was almost impossible to get off. On the factory windscreen, at least that sticker is semi-transparent. On this one, it's white with black letters. Took me the better part of an hour to get it off. (In case you're wondering, I used a cheap plastic scrapper and 409 to get the sticker and adhesive off, then my Sam Club glasses cleaner to polish it up).

I'll give it a B+ overall.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on that. They should also have on the sticker how to clean windshield AND how to remove stupid sticker without damaging windshield!

Next time, how about a hair dryer to heat up the adhesive?

I tried the hairdryer, the windscreen got hot, but that's about it. The decal began flaking, but didn't come off any easier. It took quite a bit of work to get that sticker off without scratching the screen.

In the same line, the factory windscreen has a thin piece of foam surrounding the holes at the bottom. The new screen didn't come with this. Is this something I should try to find and put on?

Just installed the Yamaha factory touring windscreen on my '07 FJR.

What are the dimensions of the touring screen compared to the stock one. I am only 5'10" but have a lot of helmet buffeting even with the stock screen in it's highest position. Is the touring screen taller/wider?

Thanks,

Jon

The new one from Yamaha is supposed to be a +4 inch in height, and a +2 inch in width. Things like these are fairly personal, but mine works really well to cut down the buffeting, even when it's all the way down. On my old Connie, I had a +4 Rifle windshield, which fit me really well. The problem was, when it got hot, I mean really hot, I roasted since I couldn't drop the screen. If it was chilly, or raining, the Rifle was perfect. Some part of me believes that power windshields are the greatest invention ever.

CAUTION
-Alkaline acid cleaner,
gasoline solvent will damage windsheild
-use neutral detergent
Hahahahaha I didn't even try to get mine off, I don't see it when I ride so its' not hurting anything :thumbsup: overall though I like the touring windscreen, I am 6'1" and I get really good protection. Great Shield.

I like the stock for summer time but would like a taller one for the winter. Maybe I'll look for a lip I take off during summer weather and have it on during winter months..

Big Mex

I've had great luck with WD40 in these sticky situations, especially when it comes to WI state park pass stickers. Worked perfectly with a little rubbing and a few applications of WD. Make sure the windshield is off the bike when you do this and make sure to soap and water when you're done. Just my $.02.

Just put one on my AE. What a difference!

I'm 5'10". 100mph and no buffeting or wind noise in the high spot.

Seems to have just the right amount of cooling effect in the down spot.

I really didn't know what I was missing!

https://umotorsfargo.com/

University Motors is the only place to get OEM parts (and then some) for the FJR. Just tell them you are a forum member to get the discount which is pretty much at their cost +shipping.

Be sure to tell them "Thank you" from all of us!

I ordered mine from a local dealer. Since I financed my new FJR with Yamaha, they were nice enough to send me a $25.00 off any Yamaha part coupon. So, the windscreen only cost me about $90.00. Hurray!

-Bob.

Just returned from my first trip with the new FJR and touring windshield. I must say, very very nice. For me, I'm about 6'3, I adjusted the shield up and down depending upon the weather and that big tractor-trailer rig that pulled in front of me.

+4" up is a bit too tall for me. I'm about 5'10" and the V-Stream seemed right so I ordered one up and should be here in a week or so from UMotors. About $136.00 shipping included. PM. <><