Is it necessary to remove gas tank and air filter case to remove generator cover??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoneman91

Reaction score
Aurora,Colorado --Rocky Mt motorcycle heaven
I need to replace the generator cover and the shop manual for my 07 says that the gas tank and the air filter case must be removed first--before the generator cover has to be removed.

Has anyone removed their generator cover and had to remove this other stuff?? Eyeballing it--it wouldn't seem necessary.

The shop manual also says that it is necessary to removal the motor oil also when removing the generator cover. It would seem that the level of the motor oil when the bike is on the center stand --is way below the level that the generator cover is on the engine case. It draining the oil necessary??

As far as removing the tank, airbox, and filter assembly- no I can't see the reason.

For the motor oil, I think they just want it replaced because of contaminates during the change out. IMO---

As far as removing the tank, airbox, and filter assembly- no I can't see the reason.
For the motor oil, I think they just want it replaced because of contaminates during the change out. IMO---
Lake Powell - you forgot the seats!!

The shop manual for every model always says to do that.

You can't put air in the darn tires unless you - "First Remove fuel tank and seats"....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks LP for the rely. Am I the only one that finds this 07 Yamaha Shop Manual confusing and imprecise?? And there is no master index in the back . For example--it goes into detail as to how to replace the inner fairing panels--and doesn't first tell you how to remove them!!

Thanks LP for the rely. Am I the only one that finds this 07 Yamaha Shop Manual confusing and imprecise?? And there is no master index in the back . For example--it goes into detail as to how to replace the inner fairing panels--and doesn't first tell you how to remove them!!
I must say, the Honda VTX service manual is, IMHO, much better than the Yamaha manual.

LC