Fuel gauge issue?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaSpyda

Reaction score
I have an 06 AE and encountered the following issue a couple days ago:

I had about 1/3 tank and the bike was sitting all day in the garage. When I started it, the fuel indicator showed only one bar that was blinking. Thinking I didn't have as much fuel as I thought, I proceeded to ride to the nearest station. After only a block, the indicator then showed one bar - not blink - and then about another block later, the 1/3 tank...strange...

thoughts???

Last edited by a moderator:
Parking on the sidestand will affect the initial fuel gauge reading. Once the bike is upright for a brief time the displayed level should be fairly accurate. When the bike is tilted over the fuel level float mechanism's range of motion doesn't offer an accurate level reading.

Others will probably back me up, but I believe you do not get a good gauge reading when on the side stand. The gauge is probably dampened to avoid wild swings from sloshing, so the gauge came up slowly once the bike was vertical. I've only had my bike a couple of months, but I noticed the same thing a few weeks ago when I was low.

Boys above have nailed it.

To avoid this situation in the future, make sure you FJR is 'upright' for a few seconds before turning on the ignition.