Contacting Yamaha about 07 Clutch issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Have you written & sent a letter?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

otrfjr

Don't tell Mom
Reaction score
OK: please, everyone who has had this clutch issue needs to contact the SAME PERSON at Yamaha so that they can't get around denying knowledge of this issue.

I suggest we nominate a customer service representative & all of us call and leave a message stating the problem & telling them that we're recording the conversation. I nominate Diana Cortez: 1-800-962-7926 ext. 7484.

Then we all need to write to Jill Hobbs who is the coordinator for the Yamaha Customer Service Division, Yamaha Motor Corporation USA, 10 Mauchly, Irvine, CA 92618-9853.

We all need to do this even if we had a POSITIVE experience with our dealers (who hopefully corrected a problem that came directly from the factory).

Make sure to mention in your phone message/letter that Yamaha must alert all its regional managers about the potential for clutch issues (something short of actually taking responsibility).

Keep copies of both the phone call and the letter.

Last edited by a moderator:
The clutch on my '07 is a tad stiff, but I don't see it as an issue. I carve the twisties, commute, and do some distance travel, and have never found it to be a problem. The issue may be more of a personal strength thing than anything else.

hand_exerciser_hand-grip.jpg

They work well and build the staying strength in your hands. I use a set myself so maybe thats why the clutch doesn't bother me. B)

The clutch on my '07 is a tad stiff, but I don't see it as an issue. I carve the twisties, commute, and do some distance travel, and have never found it to be a problem. The issue may be more of a personal strength thing than anything else.

They work well and build the staying strength in your hands. I use a set myself so maybe thats why the clutch doesn't bother me. B)
So you're saying that personal strength destroyed my clutch (and is now destroying clutch #2)? Any time any where you want to thumb wrestle, just say the word. And after triumphing, I'll tell you where you can stick your thumb.

I can't even spell "ambidexterous"... Told ya'!

If the clutch was on the right side (UK version??? :) ), then I could hold that sucker in all the time. Well developed relationship with that hand!

:)

it's not an issue of personal strength. with the clutch pulled in, almost immediately when you release, it is catching. and when you're riding (usually decel'ing) and you pulll in the clutch, there's a distinct and potentailly dangerous lag where the bike is still slowing by engine compression, despite clutch lever being pulled in, for a couple seconds, before the clutch "let's go" of the engine and you're truly coasting.

appreciate the suggestion, but i can beat everyone i know within 100 pounds of my weight in arm wrestling, and i have probs with the clutch. ( :

Man, I sure hope you guys can get some rapid and successful resolution to your problems. When I hear about all these problems with the '06 and '07 models ( clutch issues, surging, throttle control problems, etc. ), I'm damn glad I have an '05. I mean some of these problems are big-time safety issues that could lead to major lawsuits against the manufacturer. It's in the company's best interrest to deal with this stuff quick and effectively. I'm watching this whole thing closely because it will, frankly, have a big impact on whether or not I stay with Yamaha when I go to replace my current bike.

First I've heard about a clutch issue past the clutch being a bit harder to pull than most bikes. I've not experienced it at all on my '07. Don't take offense, not calling anyone a 98lb weakling here.

My '06 exhibits none of the issues described - The clutch is fine, the bikes doesn't surge and I have a light enough touch that the throttle tension isn't a significant issue, though I must admit that sometimes (as in once to date) I've been tempted to do the throttle spring unwinding thing, just for fun.

So the clutch problem the orignator is experiencing isn't generic to the model, but might possibly be a batch issue or a single failure. The throttle is a preference issue and the surging could be a geographic issue related to anything from humidity to altitude.

Whatever the problem, it is not likely a design issue and it is up to the dealer to correct - and if he can't, then Yamaha will almost certainly direct that the machine be taken to another dealer.

Black Mamba. Don't write off the bike or the manufacturer because of a few complaints in an open forum - because that is what it is - People with problems tend to get vocal - and it is human nature to react to such reports out of proportion to their frequency, for example if there are seven bikes with a problem out of seven thousand bikes of that model on the road the problems are essentially statistically insignificant.

Hey bramfrank....

I appreciate your comments. As a dyed-in-the-wool Yamaha man ( raced them for years, been street riding them a long time too ) I'm not about to jump ship on them without some serious reason to do so. I do love my FJR. It's without doubt the best overall bike for the street that I've owned. Aside from generating a little more vibration than I would like, my bike has been absolutely flawless for over 22,000 miles.

It does seem that the Gen II bikes have more issues affecting ridability. Delayed clutch reaction and, more importantly, intermittent surging present an opportunity for some pretty serious consequences. I do realize that those folks having these issues are probably very small in number, but that stastic is meaningless to them because they are the ones who have to confront these potential consequences. I hope, and expect, Yamaha will give these occurences all necessary attention for the benefit of those affected owners.

My '06 exhibits none of the issues described - The clutch is fine, the bikes doesn't surge and I have a light enough touch that the throttle tension isn't a significant issue, though I must admit that sometimes (as in once to date) I've been tempted to do the throttle spring unwinding thing, just for fun.
So the clutch problem the orignator is experiencing isn't generic to the model, but might possibly be a batch issue or a single failure. The throttle is a preference issue and the surging could be a geographic issue related to anything from humidity to altitude.

Whatever the problem, it is not likely a design issue and it is up to the dealer to correct - and if he can't, then Yamaha will almost certainly direct that the machine be taken to another dealer.

Black Mamba. Don't write off the bike or the manufacturer because of a few complaints in an open forum - because that is what it is - People with problems tend to get vocal - and it is human nature to react to such reports out of proportion to their frequency, for example if there are seven bikes with a problem out of seven thousand bikes of that model on the road the problems are essentially statistically insignificant.

+1

First I've heard about a clutch issue past the clutch being a bit harder to pull than most bikes. I've not experienced it at all on my '07. Don't take offense, not calling anyone a 98lb weakling here.
none taken, considering i have about 1/4 of that in excess around my gut! ( :

If your problem is a nice clunk and lurch forward when downshifting from neutral to 1st and really tough downshifts while riding the fix for me was to have the dealer soak my clutch plates. They said when they opened the bike that they were dry and had not been soaked at the factory.

Yamaha suggested the fix and it works, shifts nice and smooth now.

Steve

If your problem is a nice clunk and lurch forward when downshifting from neutral to 1st and really tough downshifts while riding the fix for me was to have the dealer soak my clutch plates. They said when they opened the bike that they were dry and had not been soaked at the factory.Yamaha suggested the fix and it works, shifts nice and smooth now.

Steve
steve, aren't the plates soaking in oil once they're in the bike? i'm not disagreeing, i've heard on the fj list when putting in new plates to always soak 'em first, but it occurred to me, even if you didn't, wouldn't they be bathing in oil once they're installed? thx

Mine doesn't do any of what people are describing, so I may belong in a different thread. However, when I first start the bike and am ready to take off I'll shift into 1st and the bike will die. Clutch lever pulled in clear to the handle. The bike then won't start until it's in N. Shifting produces a noticeable CLUNK either up or down.

Perhaps I just need a cable adjustment? I can move the bike with the engine off, in gear, with the lever pulled. I know some have mentioned they are/were not able to do this.

I've called my dealer, but it's after hours so I'll call again in the morning.

Mine doesn't do any of what people are describing, so I may belong in a different thread. However, when I first start the bike and am ready to take off I'll shift into 1st and the bike will die. Clutch lever pulled in clear to the handle. The bike then won't start until it's in N. Shifting produces a noticeable CLUNK either up or down.
Perhaps I just need a cable adjustment? I can move the bike with the engine off, in gear, with the lever pulled. I know some have mentioned they are/were not able to do this.

I've called my dealer, but it's after hours so I'll call again in the morning.

What's your engine idle speed (rpm) when the bike is warmed up? What's the idle speed when you start the bike cold? Does it only happen when the engine is cold or does it also kill after the engine is hot and you've stopped for a short rest (not enough to cool off the beast). If you can freewheel when the bike is in gear, turned off, and clutch lever pulled in, than your clutch is most likely disengaging appropriately. Some people have had issues with the clutch plates sticking a bit when the bike is cold or an excessive clunk. A solution, though not the safest bet, was to start the bike while in gear, clutch lever pulled in all the way. My concern with that is you are using your starter to move those clutch plates that may be presenting a little bit of excess friction. It is greatly concerning that your new 07 dies when shifted into gear. Even at idle, the torque present should be enough to offset a sticky clutch plate without the engine killing.

Pursue your dealer. See if he can offer any info.

P.S. That reservoir on the left handle bar is for the hydraulic clutch system. There is no clutch cable.

No clutch issues at all on my '06. It's a bit stiff compared to some cruisers I've owned but not a problem. Functionality is flawless.

I have these exact symptoms ...clunks/lurches forward when placing in 1st and downshifting unless I give a quick rev of the throttle before shifting. My Harley is silky smooth compared to the FJR ...not what I would consider normal by any means. This is a back-burner problem for me ...I have to find a fix for the altitude surge first :)

If your problem is a nice clunk and lurch forward when downshifting from neutral to 1st and really tough downshifts while riding the fix for me was to have the dealer soak my clutch plates. They said when they opened the bike that they were dry and had not been soaked at the factory.Yamaha suggested the fix and it works, shifts nice and smooth now.

Steve

I have ALL of these problems but I think now they are gone?

Let me know more if more of this happens....

I have not been to the dealer. The thing when you first start the bike. My connie does that.Wasn't thinking it to be a problem.

but first stop sign of the morning ... I pull in the clutch all the way to the grip and the clutch says 1.... 2.... 3... ok you meant that? Then it doesn't do it anymore? and I also haven't noticed it in the last 1000 miles or so?

Timalan