Broken Gas Cap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think this is a common issue never having heard it before, but thought I'd share what is a broken gas cap. Fortunately, I caught it before what I guess would have been a cap that wouldn't have opened....probably far at home and without a way to fill it up. Looks like the casting cracked on the flange and at such an angle as it hasn't let go.

You can bet I'm going to be gingerly with it until the replacement arrives.

MW072853b.JPG

Thanks for posting this. I've had a couple of times when I've TRIED to open my cap on my 04 and I've had to use graphite lube to get it open. Guess I'll check mine as well and see if it's cracked.

Tom

Ya have to use the key! Damn prying with screwdrivers bound to mess things up.... Shit disregard that, Thought I was dealin' with Scooter :lol:

:jester:

Shit disregard that, Thought I was dealin' with Scooter :lol:
....'ya know......I left Skooter in the garage alone for about 20 minutes when he was up here. Hmmmm....me thinks I'll have to keep an eye on that guy.

Shit disregard that, Thought I was dealin' with Scooter :lol:
....'ya know......I left Skooter in the garage alone for about 20 minutes when he was up here. Hmmmm....me thinks I'll have to keep an eye on that guy.
Well you step out just for a sec an..

When you think a guys rubbin' one off with your private stash...

THE SHAME :lol: Bustin' up another guys stuff!

What the hell are you doing to that poor FJR???

First, We hear about the cracked subframe, Now a cracked gas cap??? Me thinks you are too hard on the poor poor FJR. ;) :p

It dose happen with cars a lot, it is probably the die cast aluminum is poor quality.Like a lot of things companies "outsource" parts from suppliers that get them made as cheap as possible .

My key is kinda rough going into the gas lock, I wonder if It fails it would be covered. Or would that be normal wear and tear?

My key is kinda rough going into the gas lock, I wonder if It fails it would be covered. Or would that be normal wear and tear?
I would get some silcone spray and LIGHTLY spray the key and lock hole .With the lock open run the key in and out about 20 times then turn the key over and do it again.Now try tuning the key ,it should work easy. You have a new bike and sometimes the locks need to wear in ,sometimes there is no lubrication , sometime the rubber seal around the lock is tight and causes the locking tabs to have a lot of pressure on them which makes it hard to work.

I would get some silcone spray and LIGHTLY spray the key and lock hole .With the lock open run the key in and out about 20 times then turn the key over and do it again.Now try tuning the key ,it should work easy. You have a new bike and sometimes the locks need to wear in ,sometimes there is no lubrication , sometime the rubber seal around the lock is tight and causes the locking tabs to have a lot of pressure on them which makes it hard to work.
Opinions may vary on this (much like nearly everything on this forum) but I suggest using graphite lubricant for any key / lock lubrication. The liquid lubes (such as WD-40) might make things worse by attracting dirt / sand.

145128_front200.jpg

graphite.jpg

I don't think this is a common issue never having heard it before, but thought I'd share what is a broken gas cap. Fortunately, I caught it before what I guess would have been a cap that wouldn't have opened....probably far at home and without a way to fill it up. Looks like the casting cracked on the flange and at such an angle as it hasn't let go.
You can bet I'm going to be gingerly with it until the replacement arrives.
Iggy, have you taken the gas cap apart in the past? Any trouble with getting it apart then?

Worst case, you could fill from the fuel cell, though it would take longer to get enough gas up front to avoid starving the pump while riding.

Iggy, have you taken the gas cap apart in the past? Any trouble with getting it apart then?
Worst case, you could fill from the fuel cell, though it would take longer to get enough gas up front to avoid starving the pump while riding.
No problems....they've ordered a replacement and it should be in next week. I definitely could use the cell as an optional fill, but got the gear off right now....new girlfriend and she's pillion worthy. ;)

[No problems....they've ordered a replacement and it should be in next week. I definitely could use the cell as an optional fill, but got the gear off right now....new girlfriend and she's pillion worthy. ;)
Just remember to work up to longer days slowly. You don't want to scare her off. ;) Looks like you are having a good birthday then!

Latest posts