Tickers can be Quiet...Redone by YES

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

03HiYoSilver

Reaction score
I had my 03 35k miles in for service back in March when I noticed my #4 plug was fouling out and the TBS was not calibrating properly along with the periodic surging problems. So I took it to one of my local Yamaha 5Star Dealership mechanic.

Shop1-There, the mechanic, found a bad cam chain tensioner (approved by YES) and said my compression across the banks all were within specs. But when I pointed out the #4 fouled plug, he said he would replace them and suggested I get some Injector Cleaner and run it through the system.

OK, the bike ran good for about 500 miles and then started surging periodicall again...so I decided to do a TBS and again found #4 fouled even after the Injector Cleansing. -Not Happy (Keep in mind all this time, NO Appreciable noises and NO Smoking out the Exhaust)

Called Yamaha and they said take it back to the dealer and I said not to the same one that did not diagnose it right in the first place. They called another local dealer and allowed me to take it there for further diagnosis.

Shop2- 37k Miles -They diagnosed the bike with a leak down test, and it passed....BUT, found the #4 Exhaust had bad valve guides and the valves were moving around because of this. So YES/Yamaha approved a Full Head replacement along with the valves.

I felt RELIEVED and THANKFUL to Yamaha the real problem was found and I was not hallucinating over some of the inconsistant TBS/Idling adjustments I was having with Assistance from Our Board members.

When I went to pickup the bike a week later, the Mechanic showed me the head, parts, etc and when I asked him if he did a TBS, he said he did. He also said he replaced the Oil with Honda Oil since that is what they use and it meets Yamaha Specs...HMMMMM.

So I take it home and it ran very quiet but noticed some vibration that a TBS should have smoothed out....HMMMMM. Later that evening I decided to check under the tank and make sure all things were well there before some time elapsed SINCE they only Guarantee their work for 30 DAYS! My IDLE screws Were Not Touched, since I painted them with Nail Polish during my last personal TBS to alleviate loosening from vibration.

I called Yamaha again to tell them about this service and they said take it back to the dealer. The dealer called me the next day(Yamaha must have called them) and he said he did not do a TBS as he said, because it was not called for in the Service Manual and now he says he never told me he did. He did say, bring it back in and he'd do it for me. ( I thought this would be a given for such service repair) There's more to this but I am not going to discuss it until after I see the shop this week.

[SIZE=14pt][/size]Moral of the Story [/SIZE]1-Shop Tech's -Only DO What the Manual Calls For -Review this with them before they finish the job so you know it is done right with your Extra (Common Sense requests)

2-Get them to write it down in writing what they do (all of it) or their memory will fade quickly.

By the way, they installed the Pirelli CorsaIII on the front, and it rides and handles very well. Have to see how the wear goes as the mileage goes.

I hope this will help others... Doesn't it make sense when you replace the WHOLE head, a TBS would be required & DO the INJECTORS have to be RECalibrated?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have thought a TBS and injector recal would have been necessary after a head replacement.

While it's there ask if your bike requires the TPS replaced as per the Yamma international recall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd that they replaced the whole head, if that's what they actually did.

Maybe that's the new fix, now that the Gen II bikes seem to be free of the issue. I wonder if they just put an '06-'07 head on it.

Mine sounds like it may be starting to tick, again....

How does it run now?

Maybe that's the new fix, now that the Gen II bikes seem to be free of the issue. I wonder if they just put an '06-'07 head on it.

Toe,

Great Question. I will ask them that when I take it in for the miracle TBS. They open tomorrow.

It runs pretty good, sounds tighter. Only have some idle/surging that I think will be taken care of with the TBS.

I will keep you informed on the updates.....

I would have thought a TBS and injector recal would have been necessary after a head replacement.
While it's there ask if your bike requires the TPS replaced as per the Yamma international recall.
FJR Aust,

That is what I was thinking as well. The problem is they (dealers) don't have proper diagnostic equipment and to do it right, they would most likely have to install RIVNuts...and I don't think they want to do this.

This is where things go sideways and hard to get a straight answer on what is the Correct Way to get this job done right.

I will ask them again, since I have to tell them what to do outside the box and will let you know of my results...

Mine sounds like it may be starting to tick, again....

How does it run now?
Toe,

Just called the service dept. and they said the Head is the same on all models and the only changes were for the updated Valve Guides and Valves(?).