Ignition Key

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paste007

Reaction score
Recently I've had trouble inserting the ignition key. It stops short, but after repeated attempts, finally seats all the way in and I can start the bike. I'm concerned about being out of town and the key not inserting completing and therefore being stranded with a hefty expense to get home.

Anyone else experience this problem and if so, what was the solution?

Thanks.

Paste.

Had a similar problem on my 05. Found it more difficult to get my key in after putting on my stem mounted GPS mount. I bent the key in the process - straightned it out and it works great. Hope that's all it is with yours.

Yeah, your key is bent, ever so slightly.

Easy with these tin can keys Yamaha gives you. I tweak mine all the time opening the side cases. Can generally un-tweak it but that won't last for ever.

Go get extra keys made asap.

-MD

Easy with these tin can keys Yamaha gives you. I tweak mine all the time opening the side cases. Can generally un-tweak it but that won't last for ever.

-MD
Bought a brand new 07 AE. Immediately had a problem with ignition. Key would insert but not turn. Fortunately it happened in my garage. Dealer had to tow the bike and order another ignition mechanism from Japan.

Keep and Eye on it. Lube with graphite. Ask some of these guys what kind of graphite.

Yamma Jamma

-MD
Agree, happen to have an anvil and a hammer, that solves this problem!

Jim