Crush washer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldaxe

Reaction score
So I just finished an oil and filter change on the FJR prior to my trip this next week to Kitty Hawk N.C.

After I buttoned it up and ran it I realized I hadn't changed the crush washer on the drain plug. Just left the previous one on the bolt. Stupid me I had one on hand and everything. There doesn't seem to be any leakage and I still have few days to watch before I go. I whipped of the plug and should be able to notice if it drips.

Do you think I need to worry?

So I just finished an oil and filter change on the FJR prior to my trip this next week to Kitty Hawk N.C. After I buttoned it up and ran it I realized I hadn't changed the crush washer on the drain plug. Just left the previous one on the bolt. Stupid me I had one on hand and everything. There doesn't seem to be any leakage and I still have few days to watch before I go. I whipped of the plug and should be able to notice if it drips.

Do you think I need to worry?
No, you'll probably be just fine. If it aint leaking, don't change it (until next time) then switch to a copper washer from AutoZone, as they tend to be more reusable.

Third - even the service manual only recommends changing the gasket if damaged. Pg. 3-36 (2004 Service Manual)

You can reuse the copper forever if you heat it to red hot and quench it in water. That softens the metal and it will always seal just fine. Don't try it with aluminum. :)