Flat Tire Repair Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maddog

Reaction score
Coming home from a ride last weekend I picked up a nail in the front tire. I was able to get to an independent bike shop to get it fixed. The guy wouldn't patch the tire but instead put in an inner tube for the repair. My question is how safe is this? How long can this "repair" be expected to last?

I'm in the process of getting the tire replaced because I don't feel comfortable with it as it is. I guess my real question is, as a temporary repair, how safe is it to put a tube inside a tubeless tire?

By the way, I use Avon Storms if that matters. Thanks for any help.

Larry

I haven't heard of anybody doing this in many years. I think the tube will cause more heat to build up in the tire. It's probably OK at legal speeds, but not good for high loads and high speeds.

So a search and start carrying a plug kit ;)

I'd replace the tire too but depending on how bad the hole is and where it is, I might plug it as well.

<snip>....nail in the front tire....independent shop....wouldn't patch....put in an inner tube. My question is how safe is this?
Not very. He didn't do you much of a favor. There have been 'radial' inner tubes which are necessary for tube-type radial tires -- but, most of that is now history. Even if he had a radial tube, your tire (probably?) wasn't designed for one. I don't know what his problem was? -- but, the typical and effective repair would've been a plug of some sort.

Bottom line: tubes are famous for 'blow-outs' (remember those?) -- modern tubeless tires may go flat from a puncture (or, some other reason) but usually slowly and hardly ever go "BANG".