Valve Shim Kits

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torch

Reaction score
Short version: For those that have done your valve shims: what sizes were installed in your FJR?

Long version:

In my own, NA 03 FJR, the largest installed was 190 and the smallest 182 to a maximum of 186. In 3 rounds of adjustments, replacements included one 175, all 3 180 shims that came in the kit, some swapping around and one custom ground shim that is now a 180 because the kit didn't have enough of that size.

"What kit" you ask? Ahhh. Guess I should back up. I purchased and aftermarket kit from a company that makes performance products for dirt bikes and ATVs. Yamaha actually "borrowed" the FJR shims from their XTZ750 Super Tenere and used them in a number of other models too.

The kit actually came in 2 cases, the first covering 120 to 240 and the second filled with a similar number of shims from 245-up. Yamaha doesn't even list shims over 240 for the FJR, so I wrote the manufacturer and asked if it would be possible for them to offer a kit with just the first case of 120 to 240, but 5 or 6 shims each. They are not interested at all, saying they don't have the manpower and are overworked and cannot produce custom kits for different bikes. So I then asked if we could negotiate a price break on the refills if we bought 50 or 100 in one shot. The reply was a very curt: "I'm sorry but no."

The name of the manufacturer is "Hot Cams" and the link to the shim kits on their site is https://www.hotcamsinc.com/index.cfm?fuseac...amp;enter=Go%21

Now, they are selling to dealers for less because the kits are readily found for less elsewhere, including e-bay. I bought the full kit for around $65 + shipping. I'm trying to find a source of the refill kits for less $$$ than their website price. They did say they were considering offering packets of individual sizes in the future, but for now the refill kits only come in their arbitrary ranges.

To completely cover Yamaha's possible range, one would need 4 of their refills: 120 - 145, 150 - 175, 180 - 205 and 210 -235. Now, I know from experience with other Yamaha designs that it is extremely rare to find any in the top 20% of the range or the bottom 20% of the range. So my gut feeling was that the FJR owner would only ever require the two refill size ranges: 150 - 175 and 180 - 205. My bike and one other I know of would both seem to fit this assumption, but that's still a small sample. I guess it's time to go to the FJR community and see what others have found thus far.

Once we know what sizes we need, maybe we can approach another retailer for a group price on the shims. And/or we could start a shim pool like the XJ Owner's group does.

TORCH ! :clapping:

Good to see you posting up, you should hang around here more often. You'll fit in perfect with the resident techies of Radman and Jestal.

On another board, long ago in another time and space, I always said if I need an electrical diagnostic, I'd be riding to Canada !! :D

TORCH ! :clapping:
Good to see you posting up, you should hang around here more often. You'll fit in perfect with the resident techies of Radman and Jestal.

On another board, long ago in another time and space, I always said if I need an electrical diagnostic, I'd be riding to Canada !! :D
Sure.....now you say that :rolleyes: .....

Frank had 180's across the board, needed 3 170's. If a guy was to wanna do some adjustments for his buds, I could see getting the kit. But with a valve adjust maybe 3 times in a guys period of ownership (assuming he did not buy another Feej), and a cost of $2-$6 per shim that I found locally, it would be a tough sell. Handy to have all on hand though, and thats certainly worth something.

Frank had 180's across the board, needed 3 170's. If a guy was to wanna do some adjustments for his buds, I could see getting the kit. But with a valve adjust maybe 3 times in a guys period of ownership (assuming he did not buy another Feej), and a cost of $2-$6 per shim that I found locally, it would be a tough sell. Handy to have all on hand though, and thats certainly worth something.
Exactly. For me it was the convenience factor. Anyone who has done the valves (or even read the write-up I did on www.fjr1300.info) will appreciate that if you don't have the appropriate shims on hand or at a friendly dealership then you get to either bolt it all back up and do it again next week when the shims you order arrive OR you do without the bike for that week. So, cost of convenience is, say, $70-(3 x $5) = $55 if you only ever change 3 shims. Compared to taking it to the dealer, it's pretty affordable ;-)

I'm jyst about to have mine done (I know I could do this but I want a service record in case I have to claim under the waranty for a ticker)

I'll ask them to tell me which ones they changed.

Chris

Yamaha simply sells single shims? [try saying that fast 5 times]

Reason for asking, my '05 is nearly at 26K, and will be by the time I get back from WFO. While hoping I don't have to replace any, better to count on it.

I'd be happy to pay $2-6 apiece for shims.

Aftermarket source, perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha simply sells single shims?
Yes they do. The only problem is you don't know exactly what size you need until you open it up and measure. If the dealer doesn't happen to have the ones you need in stock then you are stuck waiting a week or two for them to come in.

If that is not a problem for you, then don't bother with a shim kit. I recommend you cover up the open engine to minimize dust and dirt entry during the intervening time. The other alternative is to reassemble everything, add fresh anti-freeze and drive it 'till the shims come in. Then take it all apart again to install them. Having a shim kit is strictly for the convenience of doing it all in one shot.

Short Version........ Have had two valve checks and no shims required....

40 something thousand and

87 something thousand

oh these are all in kilometers

My mechanic did say that he thought that it would need shims the next time. Some of them were close the last check. He claims he has a two kits and figures he has all the required shims on hand . The adjustment will be due about the snow comes...

All I have to do now is pace myself with my riding... :rolleyes:

Is there anything particularly special about these shims?

I'm thinking that they are standard shim stock machined to a given shape (any chance of a close-up picture of one with a dime in the photo for reference?) if so, couldn't I just get a local machinist to cut up standard shim stock or make some shims of the correct size and shape?

I've never been into the FJR valve train yet, so I'm just ruminating.

I like the threaded adjusters on my Concours, no shims required. :)

I'm thinking that they are standard shim stock machined to a given shape (any chance of a close-up picture of one with a dime in the photo for reference?) if so, couldn't I just get a local machinist to cut up standard shim stock or make some shims of the correct size and shape?
They are 9.48mm in diameter, thickness is the number \100 in mm (ie: 180 shim is 1.80mm thick). They are polished and I suspect they are hardened. You can ask but I suspect a machinist won't feed his family steak kicking those out one at a time for $5 a shim.

They are 9.48mm in diameter, thickness is the number \100 in mm (ie: 180 shim is 1.80mm thick). They are polished and I suspect they are hardened. You can ask but I suspect a machinist won't feed his family steak kicking those out one at a time for $5 a shim.

Exactly. They are some kind of hardened steel and amazingly durable [read: reusable].

I've pulled shim over bucket shims out of other bikes I've owned, where the cam lobe rides directly on the shim, and they show basically no wear; you can read the numbers, even.

We manufacture them for less than $0.03 ea. I'll just grab some outta the parts bins here when I need them :) It's amazing how much markup is on some parts!

Exactly. They are some kind of hardened steel and amazingly durable [read: reusable].I've pulled shim over bucket shims out of other bikes I've owned, where the cam lobe rides directly on the shim, and they show basically no wear; you can read the numbers, even.
These ride under the bucket, are ink stamped, and virtually unreadable. Had to measure mine to determine size.

We manufacture them for less than $0.03 ea. I'll just grab some outta the parts bins here when I need them :) It's amazing how much markup is on some parts!

I had no idea they could be made so cheaply. I bet postage costs more than that. If yours are truly the equivalent in terms of materials and precision, then I would happily pay 25¢ each for a handful -- say, 10 each from 1.50mm to 1.90mm (by 0.05mm increments). Plus shipping. I figure that would probably be a lifetime supply for me. Interested?

I had no idea they could be made so cheaply. I bet postage costs more than that. If yours are truly the equivalent in terms of materials and precision, then I would happily pay 25¢ each for a handful -- say, 10 each from 1.50mm to 1.90mm (by 0.05mm increments). Plus shipping. I figure that would probably be a lifetime supply for me. Interested?
I know I am!!!

Hook your FJR brethren up, Kaelaria.... whaddaya say? B)