Saddle Bag Locks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDillon

Reaction score
OK, OK, I've learned my lesson. Read all FJR Forums before heading down the road on my new FJR. That being said, I missed the article(s) regarding the loose screws on the Saddle Bag locks. Guess what? One of my screws fell out. I borrowed the screw from the spare lock and used that, with red Locktite. So now, how/where do I order a new screw to replace the one that is lost? Any thoughts?

Damn shabby dealer....

Last edited by a moderator:
You can order a replacement online from Sunny Side, but I would take a trip to the hardware store. No more security torx screws = good!

BDillon, Don't lay all the blame on the dealer when this is a known problem that you should have read anout in the FAQs and Common Historical Info section---see

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?a...amp;s=&f=77

You see, that a bad guy(or gal)could steel your bag locks, after they have unlocked the lock with the key & that's why the security screws. Makes sence, right? While you are getting new screws(& blue threadlocker for them)order some new oil pan drain bolt cruse washers along with a few yammy filters. Later,,,,De :rolleyes:

Also see the maintenance specials at

https://www.fjrgoodies.com/default.cfm

I understand, but what I don't understand is why the security screws? Since it took me all of 4 minutes to go to PepBoys, and for $4.99, buy a set of Torx security bits. Since someone has to have the key to get to the security screws, not sure how much security those screws are providing. Add to that Locktite, which would make those screws tough to get out. Guess I'm not seeing the idea...

-Bob.

I understand, but what I don't understand is why the security screws? Since it took me all of 4 minutes to go to PepBoys, and for $4.99, buy a set of Torx security bits. Since someone has to have the key to get to the security screws, not sure how much security those screws are providing. Add to that Locktite, which would make those screws tough to get out. Guess I'm not seeing the idea...
-Bob.
Bob, That's the beauty of life---You don't have to understand everything. Read the 1st sentence in my signature which is "it doesn't have to make sense". I even have that on the back of my helmet. It took my plant engineer years to beat that into me. It could be that one young bright engineer was told to design a security lock so, without knowing where this lock was to be used, he designed the lock really secure. Then another young bright engineer was told to design a latching system for a lid. Then a third young bright engineer was told to incorporate a "security lock" for this latching system. NOW THE GOOD PART. A recently promoted wash bay guy (that's one who showed up for more than a month) who is now the assembly tech, or could be the lead tech, is told to mount the side cases on that brand new FJR. In the box with the cases is the very nice FJR Side Cases Mounting Instruction book in 6 languages with English being the 1st 6 pages. You did get this book, right? More than likely this book was left in the box & never read and was thrown away with the empty box. There are 3 types of special notices in this book

:#1 is Warning (preceded by a stop sign) normally mentions death if you do or don’t do this.

#2 is Attention (preceded by a ! sign) motions warranty etc.

#3 is Note (preceded by a hand with pointing finger) usually nice to read this.

On page 3 the Warning (after the STOP sign-remember the death part) mentions the torx screws and LOCTITE™

Needless to say, I told the dealership to call me when the side case box came in & I mounted my own. You won’t believe how many screws & locks have been lost because of the above. Yes momma Yammy will get you a new lock(now you will have different keys-you can re key them but that’s a different story). At least one was delivered with the bottom mounting bracket not installed and the tire wore a hole on the case.

All this makes sense to me…Later,,, De :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the insight. Oddly enough, when I owned a 2003 Concours, I was always tightening bolts, re-applying Locktite, etc. Kinda why I asked for a torque wrench for Christmas. Guess I just got out of that mode with the new FJR, but I'm back in now.

-Bob.

As a comment, when doing my panel swap at dealer, we stripped 2 of those screws when removing the locks from the silver bags, and they didn't have loctite. We were barely able to remove them.

Dealer didn't put loctite on mine either, so I'll do it before using them, but my point is those tiny screws are probably there for good once loctited, even with blue. Which is fine with me; I don't plan to ever remove them again anyway. Just wanted to point out how flimsy those screw heads are. Later gang.

JC

Have had my 06A about 15 months now....coming up on 12K miles. After reading about this screw problem months ago, I checked my latches periodically and never noticed anything getting loose so I assumed the dealer had used Loctite.

A week ago I noticed my left saddle bag latch was loose...one screw missing and the other ready to drop out. Was at the store about 4 blocks from home so I just finger tightened the remaining screw, checked the other bag which was fine and snuck on home. Whew!

Took out the one remaining Security Torx screw....went down to ACE Hardware and purchased 6 Stainless hex head screws. Turned out, the one missing screw was broken off in my lock, so I swaped that lock for my #3 lock, backed out the Secuity Torx heads with a pliers, applied Blue Loctite and treaded in the S.S. hex heads. Did the same with my right bag because I noticed the dealer had not used any Loctite on the original.

Feel like I dodged a bullet.

27Man :rolleyes:

Yo, 27 man. What's the thread size on the replacement screws? I'm heading to the hardware store ASAP.

-Bob.

Take one of the screws with you. They should be able to quickly match thread/pitch for you.

Well, it's my turn to have to deal w/this sh!t :angry2:

By the grace of the skooter Gods I still have my left hard bag....minus 1 screw.....the second one just barely hanging on. No torque driver with me so finger tight was the best I could do. Uncomfortable headed S on I55 downtown lunch hour traffic w/a uncertain secure left bag lock.

At least I made it back to work. Going to have to go by the Home Depot on the way home for some red tight and a matching set of new screws :angry:

I think that the loctite used is blue. Is that right? Blue = workable & red = permanent... but realistically, you don't want workable in this area, anyway... unless, heaven forbid, there is a crash & you need to take the lock off of the saddlebag to put on a new saddlebag. Ooh, I hate that. Don't ask me how I know that I hate that.

I just don't get it. I have checked my bags 3 times and can't find the screw's that your talking about. My box looks like rivets, Are they phillips or standard screws. Does any on have a pic. And please no smart a-- remarks about the screws that I can't seem to find.

Steve

Open your latch, under the lock where you put the key in is a nosing piece that moves to secure the lock when the key is turned. That piece is attached by the two screws in question, the piece that you actually see move when you turn the key.

QUOTE (VTXEDFJR @ Mar 28 2008, 12:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just don't get it. I have checked my bags 3 times and can't find the screws that you're talking about. My box looks like rivets, Are they phillips or standard screws. Does any on have a pic. And please no smart a-- remarks about the screws that I can't seem to find.

Steve

Does this help?

1_DSCF5813.JPG

Just checked on my 08 and sure enough the dealer did not use Locktite.

Not too surprised though given the lack of attention to detail/customer service in general these days.

For instance, I just picked up the top case I ordered for my RAVEN motorcycle.

It's GRANITE.

Super.

Mine came apart about an hour into an upstate ride at the first stop. Put the key in and heard the throw hit the ground. Don't know if I was more amazed that it didn't come apart while riding or that I was able to find everything. Anyway, if it helps, Lowes has the same size replacement screws in their speciality pull-out drawers. M3-.50x6 Machine Screws Pan Head Slotted, $0.59 a pak, 2 per. Security Torx T10 will remove the old ones.

Admin: Think those screw sizes are worth listing in the Bin O' Facts?