Rashed Minnesota '05 in Red Lodge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
Wife and I did 900 miles on our red '03 FJR through the Wyoming Bighorn Mountains, Chief Joseph Scenic Byway and Beartooth Highway Friday-Sunday. Saw a blue FJR on Main Street in Red Lodge, MT Saturday night sporting Minnesota tags that was badly rashed on the left side, less so on the right: both mirrors gone, right fairing upper broken, EVERTHING scuffed. This machine took a pounding but was apparently still providing someone transportation, and scuffed hard bags still in place, including Givi top case. We asked a few bystanders and they said the rider "went that way." Never did encounter the unfortunate owner. Just curious as to the circumstances. Looks like a low-side on the left perhaps in one of those notoriously tricky and technical (and potentially fatal) Beartooth turns, then perhaps off the road and a flip onto the right?

Incidentally, we saw literally thousands of motorcycles on these routes - TOO damned many, for my tastes. I'll be avoiding these routes now in mid-summer, and will check them out late and early season. About 90 percent cruisers, and 90 percent of those Harley's. Sheesh! Where are all the sport bikes and STs? These roads were made for sharp-handling, hard-leaning machines, but they were very few - maybe riding where all the HDs weren't? Encountered one group of 118 riders on HDs from Fargo/Moorehead area. Encountered the "Iron Warriors" at breakfast Sunday, apparently firefighters and law enforcement...on Harleys, and the "Moto Maids" which seemed to be middle-aged butch females, all on Harleys with one BMW. Sure is getting tribal out there. The closely observed rituals and regalia are interesting and amusing.

Funny, the feej was the only crashed one apparently. Sounds apro po for this forum.

Wife and I did 900 miles on our red '03 FJR through the Wyoming Bighorn Mountains, Chief Joseph Scenic Byway and Beartooth Highway Friday-Sunday. Saw a blue FJR on Main Street in Red Lodge, MT Saturday night sporting Minnesota tags that was badly rashed on the left side, less so on the right: both mirrors gone, right fairing upper broken, EVERTHING scuffed. This machine took a pounding but was apparently still providing someone transportation, and scuffed hard bags still in place, including Givi top case. We asked a few bystanders and they said the rider "went that way." Never did encounter the unfortunate owner. Just curious as to the circumstances. Looks like a low-side on the left perhaps in one of those notoriously tricky and technical (and potentially fatal) Beartooth turns, then perhaps off the road and a flip onto the right?
Incidentally, we saw literally thousands of motorcycles on these routes - TOO damned many, for my tastes. I'll be avoiding these routes now in mid-summer, and will check them out late and early season. About 90 percent cruisers, and 90 percent of those Harley's. Sheesh! Where are all the sport bikes and STs? These roads were made for sharp-handling, hard-leaning machines, but they were very few - maybe riding where all the HDs weren't? Encountered one group of 118 riders on HDs from Fargo/Moorehead area. Encountered the "Iron Warriors" at breakfast Sunday, apparently firefighters and law enforcement...on Harleys, and the "Moto Maids" which seemed to be middle-aged butch females, all on Harleys with one BMW. Sure is getting tribal out there. The closely observed rituals and regalia are interesting and amusing.

Most of them are on their way to Sturgis... some even ride there! <BG>

mary

Most of them are on their way to Sturgis... some even ride there! <BG>mary
It's awful early for them to be heading for Sturgis even though some go a week early.

The official date for the Sturgis Rally is August 6 - 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
The FJR WAS the only crash-damaged machine we encountered. And I agree, too early for Sturgis: the "rumble" along I-90 through here (Butte, MT) will begin in earnest about Aug. 1. Just that time of year, I guess. Temps were 90-100 so no better place to be than between 9,000 and 11,000 feet of elevation - 20-25 degrees cooler than down at 4,000 feet. Incidentally, my '03 exhibits no breathing problems at high elevations; in fact, exhibits no breathing problems at any elevation, at any speed, at any RPM, at any throttle application. It did have a minor surge when new but a TB sync fixed that and it has been as smooth as butta through 36,000 miles - no PC, no Barbarian mod, no throttle spring release, no throttle tube upgrade... It's the Energizer Bunny of FJRs.

Acutally you are incorrect. The Beartooth Highway was not, "made for sharp-handling , hard-leaning machines". (unless you consider Harleys, Hendersons, and Indians that kind of bike. (when the Beartooth opened in 1936 those were the only bikes around.) The Beartooth wasn't made for motorcycles at all. It was made as a shortcut from Yellowstone Park to Billings Montana. It follows the route that General Sheridan took in 1882.

I know, becasue I just looked it up.
cki.jpg
(and I live close to the Highway).

"The pass was crossed by Civil War General Phillip Sheridan and 120 men on an inspection tour of Yellowstone, which had just been made a national park, in August 1882. Rather than take the long detour down the Clarks Fork River to return to Billings, Sheridan took the advice of an old hunter named Greer, who claimed intimate knowledge of the Beartooth Mountains. Fifty years later, the road over the pass was opened in 1936. It essentially follows Sheridan's route."

Pretty good trick to design and build a road in 1936, for motorcycles that were going to be invented in the late 1970 and 1980s.

Harley, Hendersons and Indians have been going over the Beartooth, before we were born, so if The Beartooth was built for any type of bike, (which is wasn't) it was built for the Cruiser.

Here are some of the bikes that went over the Beartooth in the 30's and 40's.

hd38775.jpg
Seems they were riding in packs way back in the 30's too! Some things just don't change. (when it's working don't fix it)

hd17843g.jpg
Great riding outfits. Leather wasn't in quite yet.

wolverton3_s.jpg
This is about as much "Sharp-handling, haed-leaning, that was being done back when the road was built.

And that is just a little history of the Beartooth Highway.

No, it wasn't built for bikes, but I sure am glad they built it.

It is one of the most beatiful places to ride a bike, drive a sportscar, an SUV, a bicycle, truck, or any form of transportation, even hiking!

It's the beauty of the drive. The beauty of the area. Combine them both (beauty and the drive) and you will have it all.

Concentrate on just one aspect, beauty or riding and you may miss the other part. Both are great by themselves, but together, it's the ultimate!

Have fun on the Beartooth!

Thanks for the background on the Beartooth Highway. It seems you were taking my words literally rather than figuratively, as intended. Of course the Beartooth Highway wasn't literally built for sport bikes, but it is ideal for those who like to ride in a very spirited fashion, enjoy a challenge and can handle a certain level of risk. That was my point. You are right, it is a splendid piece of highway and a magnificent construction achievement that can be enjoyed by just about everyone (some flat-landers suffer acrophobia) but with the possible exception of the huge motorhomes. They really don't belong up there for their own sake and others on the road (they often use a lane and a half or more to make a tight turn). I have ridden this every year for the last ten (with the exception of 2005 when the road was closed due to damage from water and slides), and probably 15 times in the last 20 years. Early in the season is best in my opinion (I like riding alongside 12-foot snow banks), late is good; mid-season is okay.

As for riding in big packs - especially tightly bunched ones - no thanks. It has been my observation that there are more riders than ever, and more than ever with poor skills and safety practices. My wife and I will continue to ride alone and occasionally in the small select groups (one, maybe two or three others) that we know and trust.

Thanks for the background on the Beartooth Highway. It seems you were taking my words literally rather than figuratively, as intended. Of course the Beartooth Highway wasn't literally built for sport bikes, but it is ideal for those who like to ride in a very spirited fashion, enjoy a challenge and can handle a certain level of risk. That was my point. You are right, it is a splendid piece of highway and a magnificent construction achievement that can be enjoyed by just about everyone (some flat-landers suffer acrophobia) but with the possible exception of the huge motorhomes. They really don't belong up there for their own sake and others on the road (they often use a lane and a half or more to make a tight turn). I have ridden this every year for the last ten (with the exception of 2005 when the road was closed due to damage from water and slides), and probably 15 times in the last 20 years. Early in the season is best in my opinion (I like riding alongside 12-foot snow banks), late is good; mid-season is okay.
As for riding in big packs - especially tightly bunched ones - no thanks. It has been my observation that there are more riders than ever, and more than ever with poor skills and safety practices. My wife and I will continue to ride alone and occasionally in the small select groups (one, maybe two or three others) that we know and trust.

Right on Big Sky! As you know I ride it all the time too. As always, I was just playing with words. "A road that is well suited for the Knee on the road and the mess in the pants, is the way I would put it. If you can get your knee on the road, I can handle the "mess in the pants"!

blushing.gif
tissue.gif

Riding in a large group is also not on my list of "fun things".

fam29.gif

If one goes down, he or she may take many others with them.

One or two is the way to go.
motorcycle.gif
motorcycle.gif

Well Big Sky, Shall we continue to allow out of states to ride the Beartooth?
welcome-0005a.gif
or shall we ask riders not to come here.
getout.gif

(Remember they are paying for our childrens College education) :yahoo: with the special Red Lodge Sales tax and Motel Bed Taxes!!
money.gif

Keep that money coming in you out of staters!
money1.gif
You know your always welcome in Montana and Wyoming! (I think my kids are going to major in finance and tourism! ) :graduated:

capwin.gif

I believe Orangevale was spotted on that road recently.....His cow is deathly afraid of bears but likes anything with big horns. :lol:

sidecar.jpg

Clark,

As you know, we welcome all visitors, and even invite folks to stay, as long as they check their attitudes at the state line. The least popular conversation opener in these parts is, "Well, in California we..." Vistors' money spends just fine. And I spend plenty in the towns along the way where I ride, even if it's in my own backyard: a night in Columbus, MT, a night in Greybull, Wyoming and a night in Red Lodge, meals and drinks along the way, about five tanks of gas over 900 miles last weekend...(we don't buy T-shirts and tourist trinkets, though).

Hell yes, come, visit, ride, spend. We love it! But for us Northern Rockies locals, because of the crowds, the best riding here is now in April-May and Sept.-Oct. in my opinion. We did meet many fine, decent out-of-staters, especially a large contingent from Fargo/Moorehead and encountered a surprisingly lot of folks from Iowa. I'll put up with their "unnaturally" slow pace if they put up with my relatively quick style.

My spouse got a digital video camera for her birthday so we recorded some of our more spirited sprints, like from the visitor's overlook on the Montana side to the bottom where things become sane again. Whoooeee! When speeds got up to 50 mph or more, wind noise drowned out the audio. But below that (in posted 20 mph turns, for example), you could hear the FJR "turbine" whine, even the exhaust note, rpm and gear changes and so on. The result is pretty cool, though my wife made me promise I'd never let her dad see any of that video! And I only took a little more metal off the pavement feelers.

Do you ever ride the Bighorns? We went up 14A past the Medicine Wheel to Burgess Junction (had a great breakfast there), then down to Dayton, turned around and came back to Burgess, then rode along the spine (9000 feet and very cool temps) and down the Shell Canyon. THAT is a fine piece of road - a 9.8 for sure! Spent the night in Greybull and checked out a couple of pretty good bars. To Cody the next morning, then up the Chief Joseph (I love it: "Dead Indian Pass" - hardly politically correct!) and to Cook City for lunch. Then from there, up and over Beartooth Pass and down into Red Lodge. Sunday home is ho hum but we know where all the secondaries and frontage roads are so can get nearly all the way home without riding the four-lane. I hate the buffeting from all the big rigs.

Let's get together and ride sometime.

Right on Big Sky! As you know I ride it all the time too. As always, I was just playing with words. "A road that is well suited for the Knee on the road and the mess in the pants, is the way I would put it. If you can get your knee on the road, I can handle the "mess in the pants"!

blushing.gif
tissue.gif

Riding in a large group is also not on my list of "fun things".

fam29.gif

If one goes down, he or she may take many others with them.

One or two is the way to go.
motorcycle.gif
motorcycle.gif

Well Big Sky, Shall we continue to allow out of states to ride the Beartooth?
welcome-0005a.gif
or shall we ask riders not to come here.
getout.gif

(Remember they are paying for our childrens College education) :yahoo: with the special Red Lodge Sales tax and Motel Bed Taxes!!
money.gif

Keep that money coming in you out of staters!
money1.gif
You know your always welcome in Montana and Wyoming! (I think my kids are going to major in finance and tourism! ) :graduated:

capwin.gif
Clark, Is that you and Lois Lane in pic #2?

hd17843g.jpg

Clark,
As you know, we welcome all visitors, and even invite folks to stay, as long as they check their attitudes at the state line. The least popular conversation opener in these parts is, "Well, in California we..." Vistors' money spends just fine. And I spend plenty in the towns along the way where I ride, even if it's in my own backyard: a night in Columbus, MT, a night in Greybull, Wyoming and a night in Red Lodge, meals and drinks along the way, about five tanks of gas over 900 miles last weekend...(we don't buy T-shirts and tourist trinkets, though).

Hell yes, come, visit, ride, spend. We love it! But for us Northern Rockies locals, because of the crowds, the best riding here is now in April-May and Sept.-Oct. in my opinion. We did meet many fine, decent out-of-staters, especially a large contingent from Fargo/Moorehead and encountered a surprisingly lot of folks from Iowa. I'll put up with their "unnaturally" slow pace if they put up with my relatively quick style.

My spouse got a digital video camera for her birthday so we recorded some of our more spirited sprints, like from the visitor's overlook on the Montana side to the bottom where things become sane again. Whoooeee! When speeds got up to 50 mph or more, wind noise drowned out the audio. But below that (in posted 20 mph turns, for example), you could hear the FJR "turbine" whine, even the exhaust note, rpm and gear changes and so on. The result is pretty cool, though my wife made me promise I'd never let her dad see any of that video! And I only took a little more metal off the pavement feelers.

Do you ever ride the Bighorns? We went up 14A past the Medicine Wheel to Burgess Junction (had a great breakfast there), then down to Dayton, turned around and came back to Burgess, then rode along the spine (9000 feet and very cool temps) and down the Shell Canyon. THAT is a fine piece of road - a 9.8 for sure! Spent the night in Greybull and checked out a couple of pretty good bars. To Cody the next morning, then up the Chief Joseph (I love it: "Dead Indian Pass" - hardly politically correct!) and to Cook City for lunch. Then from there, up and over Beartooth Pass and down into Red Lodge. Sunday home is ho hum but we know where all the secondaries and frontage roads are so can get nearly all the way home without riding the four-lane. I hate the buffeting from all the big rigs.

Let's get together and ride sometime.

I love to ride the 375 mile loop. From Cody to Greybeal, Worland, Ten Sleep over the pass to Buffalo, Story, Sheridan, up over the pass to Shell, Lovell to Cody. It's a very good all day ride.

We have a neighbor who has a cabin in Sunlite Basin. You can almost see is place from Dead Indian Pass Turn out.

I joke about the out of staters, but I have never met an unhappy biker anywhere on the road in Montana or Wyoming. AND I have been to Sturgis many times on everthing but a HD. I always here. "doesn't matter what your on, if you on a bike your a brother" Nice people in Sturgis!

We will be coming through Butte tomorrow morning on our way to Cody. And yes, were going over the Beartooth!

Watch it rain for the first time in 4 weeks!

CK

CK

It's awful early for them to be heading for Sturgis even though some go a week early.

A lot of the bikes you saw were headed for the "Beartooth Rally" in Red Lodge, MT. It is July 20-22.

A lot of the bikes you saw were headed for the "Bearthooth Rally" in Red Lodge, MT. It is July 20-22.

AND he asked, but what are they all going to do in Red Lodge for 5 days before the Rally? Is this the "Iron Horse" Rally?

The bikes will be backed up from Red Lodge to Cook City, just like the off ramp in Sturgis!

I believe Orangevale was spotted on that road recently.....His cow is deathly afraid of bears but likes anything with big horns. :lol:
sidecar.jpg

We did see plenty of cows, but also spotted a young grizzly about 100 yards off the road along the Chief Joseph scenic Byway.

Hey Big Sky,

You're bringing back great memories for me! I was born and raised in Billings and spent many summers riding what I still consider one of the best rides on a bike - from Red Lodge to Silver Gate and back. I haven't ridden it for several years and truly miss it. There is decent riding in the Texas hill country but nothing like the Beartooth.

Oh man, the secret is out! You are right, it beats hell out of the Going to the Sun Road in Glacier Park. That last five-mile (Montana) stretch into Cook City has been rebuilt and is REAL smooth but still full of good turns. The Wyoming side is hurting from lack of maintenance, though. Wyoming says they aren't interested in maintaining an expensive road that simply connects two Montana towns. We are blessed indeed with the excellent selection of superb roads we have in this region, even though we can't ride 'em (at least very rarely) Nov.-Feb. and sometimes not in October or March, either.

Looks like it's about time you got out of Texas and back to the Big Sky for a little mountain riding. We do have a few roads to ride that are still pretty much secrets.