Take this for what its worth

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WRichStrom

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Take this for what it's worth

My local dealer service manager (from one of the leading Yamaha dealers in Washington State) told me via telephone today that he has five to six guys who are irate over this "altitude sickness" issue. He spoke to Yamaha who told him today they were able to replicate the surging on two separate bikes four days ago (either on a service reps or sales rep bikes). This service manager stated that Yamaha is looking how perform this fix. This will result in a Technical Service Bulletin and probably a recall, per this individual. No timeframe was stated.

To be upfront on this post I am a FNG. I am the seven week owner of a '07 FJR with a grand total of 1850 miles so far (not very much). My bike has the identified VIN range that TruWrecks has identified but I have not experienced the altitude issues noted (also haven't been up any mtn. pass yet). I am sure I will experience this surging at some point. But until then I am going to be patient on this in my particular situation after dealing with the ST1300. Each person has their own decision to buy/sell/modify.

But I can tell you from my experience on the ST1300 that Honda never admitted that there was a heat issue on some of those bikes. The fixes were put on Honda fairing deflectors, or perform the one credible "fix" for the ST1300 heat issue (remove the inner fairings) that would negate my 3 year warranty and 4 year extended warranty.

I have confidence that Yamaha will fix this with a reflash of the ECU or EPROM or replacement. I don't have another +$5K to buy a BMW with the drive train issues, going back to a ST1300 will not be my choice, or a new year Concours.

My thoughts only from a FNG.

WRichStrom

Thanks for the post Chris

I'm sure this will be good news for those '07 owners who have experienced the "sickness". Hopefully ahamaY doesn't take too long to get this issue resolved...

--G

First of all, what's an 'FNG'? I'm an 'REB', by the way. Hope you get my point.

Anyway, glad to know Yamaha is working on the issue; I've read it in too many places not to be true, so the only question left is how longer should we need to wait. I just finished 'farkling' my new bike, which is a way of saying I'm holding on to this bike :) . Just hope to see the fix sooner rather than later. And no, I could bet my house there won't be a recall; hope at least a TSB, but as long as they REALLY fix the problem, I'd be okay. Many think without the baro sensor, and possbily the fuel regulator, it's going to be a bandaid. I'm not looking for perfection, so as long as the band-aid is below my very lax threshold, I'd be a happy camper. Later.

JC

I'm not looking for perfection, so as long as the band-aid is below my very lax threshold, I'd be a happy camper.JC

surprises.smileysmiley.com.54.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info WRichStrom. As another FNG (what's a REB?!) I've been watching this very closely also. I've owned my 07 for about the same time as you, but only have 750 miles on mine so far. I have a VIN in the range that TruWrecks has identified also. Since I haven't had a chance to ride it up to the mountains yet, I haven't done anything other than watch for updates here. I intend to get up to the local mountains soon so I can see if mine is a "sick" bike. If it is I will be filing a report online also.

A huge thanks to everyone who has chased this demon for us. I wish I could have helped in this, but I came along too late and simply haven't had the time to take a ride up to the hills. Again, THANK YOU to all the folks who have gotten us to this point.

First of all, what's an 'FNG'? I'm an 'REB', by the way. Hope you get my point.
Anyway, glad to know Yamaha is working on the issue; I've read it in too many places not to be true, so the only question left is how longer should we need to wait. I just finished 'farkling' my new bike, which is a way of saying I'm holding on to this bike :) .I'm not looking for perfection, so as long as the band-aid is below my very lax threshold, I'd be a happy camper. Later.

JC
I hear ya bout hanging onto an otherwise "Super" bike. I've worked out a pretty good "band-aid" already with the combo of a remapped PC and G2 throttle. It's a "keeper" now, even as-it-is, but a real "fix" would be some more iceing-on-the-cake.

-----

Many think without the baro sensor, and possbily the fuel regulator, it's going to be a bandaid. JC
JC,

I agree, they 'may' have to add some of the removed hardware to get the bike to perform properly in changing altitudes.

Mick

Many think without the baro sensor, and possbily the fuel regulator, it's going to be a bandaid. JC
JC,

Someone has made an assumption that the missing regulator was a fuel regulator. That is NOT true. The regulator

that was removed when they went from GenI to GenII is the Vacuum regulator that used to sit on the right end of the Intake Air Pressure Tube above the throttle bodies. https://tinyurl.com/2pdhxh Item #19

I agree, they 'may' have to add some of the removed hardware to get the bike to perform properly in changing altitudes.

just clearin' things up. :)

Mick
Hi Mick...here's another opinion on that part...the part #19 is a fuel pressure/fuel return regulator that also senses intake manifold pressure...according to my GenI manual pages 1-3 and 1-8 it maintains a constant fuel pressure difference that is applied to the injectors 2.55 kg/cm2 higher than the intake manifold pressure, which it also senses, to do it's job...that way the fuel flows in the right direction into the intake manifolds and excess fuel above that set pressure difference is returned to the tank...it's gone on the GenII's which I believe now incorporate the regulator in the fuel pump assembly at the supply end in the tank.

Whether or not the current in-tank regulator contributes to poor injector operation I don't know...the Gen II manual says that it maintains fuel pressure at 3.24 kg/cm2, 46.1 psi, which I assume is a pre-determined value, and no longer depends upon sensing the intake manifold vacuum to maintain a constant differential...BTW, Jestal in another thread also raised the question of the potential effects of uneven/erratic fuel pressure within the GenII closed fuel rail feed system now used.

Gary in Fairbanks

Someone has made an assumption that the missing regulator was a fuel regulator. That is NOT true.
Mick, you're one of the most knowledgeable members here, but that part HAS to be some sort of fuel regulator buddy; How can it be anything else when it's directly connected to the fuel rail?? Notice the O-ring next to it.

On the other hand, it also gets vacuum from ALL TBs, just like the vacuum sensor #18 (same as ours), so you're right about that. But what the heck is the function of that part, how does it work, and what's its name? Am curious now. Later gang.

JC

look here carefully
Forum clown strikes again. Have you contributed anything positive in your 1,700+ posts? Get a freaking life.

One more to the 'ignore' list.

JC
JC

Get the cob out your ass!

That list is gonna get long.

My 1700 + post = 3 per day on my 18 months on the forum.

Your 342 post in the MONTH you have been here = 8 per day with at least 5 per day bitching about something. Who needs the life?

Sorry, did your feelings get hurt again?

Someone has made an assumption that the missing regulator was a fuel regulator. That is NOT true.
Mick, you're one of the most knowledgeable members here, but that part HAS to be some sort of fuel regulator buddy; How can it be anything else when it's directly connected to the fuel rail?? Notice the O-ring next to it.

On the other hand, it also gets vacuum from ALL TBs, just like the vacuum sensor #18 (same as ours), so you're right about that. But what the heck is the function of that part, how does it work, and what's its name? Am curious now. Later gang.

JC
Hi JC...please read my post above for a description of that part's function or consult the GenI Svc Manual...the issue isn't whether or not it does what Yamaha says it does in the GenI Manual I cited...it's whether or not the new FI system may have new fuel pressure control problems as described by Jestal's Post #45 in your Pairectomy thread.

Gary in Fairbanks

look here carefully
Forum clown strikes again. Have you contributed anything positive in your 1,700+ posts? Get a freaking life.

JC
JC

Your 342 post in the MONTH you have been here = 8 per day with at least 5 per day bitching about something. Who needs the life?

Hey Fencer. Welcome to the list. Me thinks it's going to get crowded here. :D

it's whether or not the new FI system may have new fuel pressure control problems as described by Jestal's Post #45 in your Pairectomy thread.
Hey Gary. I only have the GenII service manual. Just wanted to know HOW that part itself functions (curiosity), but no biggie.

Don't follow that thread anymore, but fuel control problems causing the surging is entirely possible. In fact, that's the most logical explanation to me so far, but the bigger question is how it's getting screwed up with altitude changes, as bike functions well otherwise. Have a great weekend.

JC

look here carefully

JC
JC

Hey Fencer. Welcome to the list. Me thinks it's going to get crowded here. :D
The "Club" within the "Club" :yahoo:

You bringing the drinks? I've got the women covered B)

Can't help ya there. Had to quit drinkin cause I was getting to good at it and don't dare mess around on the wife cause she is to good with a gun. :yahoo:

Can't help ya there. Had to quit drinkin cause I was getting to good at it and don't dare mess around on the wife cause she is to good with a gun. :yahoo:
Too bad JC will never know the value of the forum and how to get to know people, since we are IGNORED :p

Ohh! The travisty! I wonder how it feels to be the constant BUTT of the jokes? JC you have the answers, can you tell me? :lol: