side stand switch cleaning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrease

Reaction score
I've had a few problems with what I think was my sidestand switch, I've posted about it, and many of you responded, so I decided to take about 30 minutes and rip it apart again. we'll see if it's going to solve my problems. Below is a quick trip thru the cleaning.

Set the bike on the center stand, put the sidestand down after the bike is on the c-stand, remove the 2 hex head bolts securing the sidestand assembly

slide assembly down & out, retract the sidestand back to the up position

remove the 2 phillips screws that attach the switch to the assembly, watch it, if you don't have a good grip on the screw, you'll botch the head of the screw

Flip the switch over, remove the 4 small phillips head screws to open the switch, and take a look at the crap on the copper contacts. I used some 600 grit sandpaper to clean them up

take note of the crud, that will be just enough to screw up the contact surfaces, and also the cheapest part of the assembly, the cheesy little excuse for a spring that sits under the copper contact

clean up the contacts (all of them), slap abit o grease on them, and put the switch back together, be careful not to bend the poor excuse for a spring that sits under the contact.

attach the switch back to the assembly, use some blue goo

attach assembly back to bike, make sure to put the wire back into the clips, where it rides up along the side of the motor.

tools needed

and this of course

I'm sure I missed something, and someone else will chime in, this was the second time I cleaned it, so it wasnt really that grubby, but there was still enough crap in the switch to cause contact problems.

Have Fun

I've had a few problems with what I think was my sidestand switch, I've posted about it, and many of you responded, so I decided to take about 30 minutes and rip it apart again. we'll see if it's going to solve my problems. Below is a quick trip thru the cleaning.
Set the bike on the center stand, put the sidestand down after the bike is on the c-stand, remove the 2 hex head bolts securing the sidestand assembly

slide assembly down & out, retract the sidestand back to the up position

remove the 2 phillips screws that attach the switch to the assembly, watch it, if you don't have a good grip on the screw, you'll botch the head of the screw

Flip the switch over, remove the 4 small phillips head screws to open the switch, and take a look at the crap on the copper contacts. I used some 600 grit sandpaper to clean them up

take note of the crud, that will be just enough to screw up the contact surfaces, and also the cheapest part of the assembly, the cheesy little excuse for a spring that sits under the copper contact

clean up the contacts (all of them), slap abit o grease on them, and put the switch back together, be careful not to bend the poor excuse for a spring that sits under the contact.

attach the switch back to the assembly, use some blue goo

attach assembly back to bike, make sure to put the wire back into the clips, where it rides up along the side of the motor.

tools needed

and this of course

I'm sure I missed something, and someone else will chime in, this was the second time I cleaned it, so it wasnt really that grubby, but there was still enough crap in the switch to cause contact problems.

Have Fun
Good pics and a good explanation. Thanks

Hey, "Q", we just saw the pics. Didn't need to see them again. You should repost the pics and respond.....for humour's sake.