'07 Rough Idle on Start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackarrow

Reaction score
Apologies in advance for what is likely to be a dumb question. I searched the archives and didn't find satisfaction there.

I bought my '07 April 23rd. Several weeks later, coincidentally when I took it in for the 600 mile service, it began running rough first start of the day. I thought it was a fluke. It has been getting worse, though. When started first time in the morning it idles very rough, as if a cylinder or two is missing. RPM does not surge and is relatively steady, it just sounds like it's missing quite a bit. After running a couple of minutes the fast idle kicks down and eventually it smooths out. Later in the day after it has been sitting a couple of hours after a ride it does the same thing, but not quite as bad.

The purchase date is mentioned because part of me tends to track this problem with the weather warming up. The first few weeks of ownership it was nippy. It fired up beautifully with no hesitation and settled in to a smooth idle (ambient temps about 60). The weather warmed up and the problem became worse. Ambient air temperature for the early morning start has been about 80 for awhile. Maybe it's not temperature related, I don't know because it hasn't cooled off yet.

I'm not complaining. I LOVE this motorcycle. I just want to know if it's normal or not and how hard to pursue it with the dealer.

Thanks.

Maybe for a couple of seconds, but not minutes. I live where it is hot and heat does not seem to effect idle on startup on mine. It seems odd that it happened after the 600 mi checkup.

Gen I's I am familiar with do not have a "cold start on a warm day" syndrome, but I do know that some other vehicles do. The rich cold start mix can be a problem with warm temps, but if this just started with the 600 mile check up, talk to the dealer and see what all they did-possible they putzed with something didn't need putzing with, though if the bike runs well otherwise, can't imagine what it might be without getting under the tank.

My 07 burbles & pops on warm up until the rpm's drop. Maybe the tech who did the TBS didn't get it just right because I notice mine does this quite a bit less right after I do a TBS.

When started first time in the morning it idles very rough, as if a cylinder or two is missing. RPM does not surge and is relatively steady, it just sounds like it's missing quite a bit. After running a couple of minutes the fast idle kicks down and eventually it smooths out. Later in the day after it has been sitting a couple of hours after a ride it does the same thing, but not quite as bad.

My 06 does the same. Seems about the same year-round. I've got 12K on the bike. Changed plugs, TBS x3, new air filter. The only thing that has helped slightly was changing the CO settings to 13 across the board. I suspect a fuel mapping kinda thing.

Yup, my '07 runs rough until the idle drops. Probably running rich. I wouldn't worry about it (and I don't) if it's only when the bike is cold.

Yep,...Hear Ya,.. Same shit! with my 07'

- It sometimes sounds like 20 to 30 seconds after start up that the motor misses and "clunks" a cylinder or two,... almost as if it's pre-igniting them and trying to send them back down while there on there way up..... It really pisses me off and the bike only got like this @ or about the 1000 km(600 mile)'s on the odo. I have 11,000 km's on her now after a trip to NC and it still does it.... We are just guinea pig's riding new fuel maps which trying to satisfy emission shit.

My Dealer is without a clue and two trips in to make (this problem) and the fuel related "vibes above 4000rpm" better resulted in just me being more pissed.

I would love to see the stock 07' fuel map as compared to the 06'

-Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine started running rough after my 600 mile service also. I went on a 3000 mile trip to Savannah GA and back to AR. At start up and low RPM it seems rougher and rougher as time goes by. Bought the bike last Sept. and the dealer is less than helpful, my first Yamaha and am not impressed with the customer service or the problem. Dealer said they need to replace the ECU to hopefully fix it. three appointments and two weeks later they still can't get the correct ECU. Anyone else been told this might be the issue(The ECU not the crappy customer service)?

I don't have any kind of rough idle at start-up on my 07. I get a stiff thumper every time I cold start it. It has to be in the TBS. I'd try some injector cleaner.

My 07 acts simular and at first I think that it is going to die but after a few seconds it stops. I have had mine since Jan 07 and can not remember when it first started.

Seems the FJR does not like to run at 1000 rpm or less especially when cold.

Make sure your warm idle speed is 1100, that cured the same symptoms on my 07.

Seems the FJR does not like to run at 1000 rpm or less especially when cold.Make sure your warm idle speed is 1100, that cured the same symptoms on my 07.

+1

I just got the FJR back from a big service today. I had them change plugs, spline check, normal stuff, + TBS check (first time!). They mentioned idle was funny, adjusted warm idle to be 1100-ish. I think TBS was off....bit of a language barrier, but basically they didn't like the idle/startup either. Now it is much 'smoother'.

The first time I heard my 08 sputter during the idle, it freaked me out so much I flinched while putting on my helmet and the helmet launched out of my right hand, by the chin strap, like a rocket. Landed in my rose bushes. Ok well not really. :lol: But, yes mine sputters on warming up and I've read its normal.

Scott

Mine stumbles and burbles at first but runs great after that. I have had other injected bikes do that so I wasn't too concerned.

My 08 before upping idle to 1100 and doing the BMJ popped etc at start up. now no popping etc. Nobody as yet has answered or is aware of why the 08 CO is 10 straight across?