Bad day for Yamaha?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FjrVfr

Reaction score
I think Yamaha had a bad day yesterday but you can judge for yourselves. I live in Salt Lake and didn't register for WFO (long story) but I did venture up to Park City to see a vendor and scout out some farkles.

I met some terrific folks from Colorado and Wyoming and joined them for a ride up to Mirror Lake (from 7K+ ft. to about 10K - had we made it). We stopped at an overlook for some snapshots but when we headed out, one couple's '03 had sudden, catastrophic electrical failure. Engine dead, no instruments, the works. We did our best by the roadside checking a dozen fuses and putting a multimeter to everything we could think of but had no luck (let me tell you, it's embarrassing to have the Hardly folks ride past you and wave). Anyway, with no cell signal we doubled up and headed back to civilization (well, Utah) and on the way down my '06 surged worse than it ever has. My passenger clearly saw/felt it and commented when we stopped at how ugly (and unsafe) it was.

I later learned that the '03 failure in our group was due to (the dreaded) ignition switch failure. I was also told today that another WFO participant had that same problem though I didn't see it first hand. What bothers me most is that four Yamaha FJRs left Park City in the morning and two of them suffered from widely know issues - one nearly stranding a couple out of cell phone coverage. Keep in mind that those same folks have to rely on that machine to take them a long way home. That's a crappy batting average by anyone's standard.

I was a Honda driver before I read about the FJR and plunked down a chunk of change for one. When it's behaving, it's a wonderful machine. I don't know if the Yamaha folk care about this but as it stands today, it's tough for me to imagine myself buying another Yamaha product.

For some extra surging facts: My '06 has a manufacture date of 06/06 and my s/n is in the mid 1700's. My CO settings were/are 5,18,18,21 (I've since added a PC-III w/stock map and O2 disconnect but it hasn't helped much).

Instantaneous mileage does indeed go crazy when the surge hits. Mine was reading between 70 and 80 on the way out (downhill, low RPM, 5th gear) until the surge hit. Then it dropped into the 20's (I've verified this in the local canyons before yesterday's event).

On a personal note:

Ben, Laurie, Kurt, Joe and Robin - it was a pleasure to meet and to ride with you all. You really made my weekend. It's like the old ad says: "You meet the nicest people on a... ...Yamaha?" Take care.

Mark

ps - Admins, please relo as you see fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know what to say and I just spend $270 ordering PCIII for my ´06.

My FJR is not ride able as she is today until the surging/stalling problem will be fixed. :angry2:

Riding my Kawasaki ZRX every day helps keep up the spirit.

Hawk1

Latest posts