U-Joint Bearing Replacement

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutane

Reaction score
Hello all,

I seem to have gotten myself into a pickle while performing 40k mile service on my '04 FJR-S.

I have the tires off and the rear shaft assembly out and the swing arm down.

The grease is flying and I've discovered that one of the universal joint bearings is missing a rubber boot and has run dry of lube but does not seem to have galled the spindle or the needle bearings yet.

I thought I'd just pop all of the bearings out and replace U-J while I was doing the other service.

To my dismay I now have discovered that the Yamaha microfiche does not reference those bearings and expects the owner to replace the entire universal unit including splined collars at either end for $150+.

Whether this is a good idea or not is immaterial to me since I feel I'm just four bearings and about $50 short of reassembling the bikes rear end.

Any of you gurus out there know where I can acquire four Koyo KC1115B-C bearings or suitable U-J replacements in less time it would take me to send Ron Ayers $154+S&H for a replacement of the whole unit?

I live in the sticks, and Wal-Mart doesn't carry FJR parts, so an on-line source would be most appreciated.

PS, the local NAPA outlet couldn't (wouldn't) cross reference these bearings since they were on a motorcycle.......Grrrrr!

Thanks,

Steve