Sh__35

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
Anyone come across an intermittent "Sh__35" error?

1_DSCF6403.JPG

Started doing it very occasionally, then more and more often.

First happened in higher gears (but that may be coincidence), then, as it got worse, in all gears and eventually in neutral without the engine running.

I looked up the fault code. My rider's handbook said this would cause the bike to refuse to change gear. In reality, it seemed to have absolutely no affect on the bike's operation.

I've managed to find a mention in a workshop manual (I don't have the full manual) and it said something about a false start signal to the YCCS computer.

I had a quick ferret around all wiring and connectors I could get to (under seat and behind the side plastic), I could find nothing wrong.

Because the bike was booked into the dealer to change its ignition switch (due to difficulties inserting the key), I left it with them to try to sort this problem.

Needless to say (or I wouldn't be writing this), they can't find what is wrong after several days. The man said they'd asked Yamaha for any pointers, but apart from suggesting the obvious, nothing has helped.

So, has anyone had a similar problem, if so what was the cure?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would likely see this error message if the starter pushbutton is pressed while the engine is running. When you press this PB you are shorting to the ground bus the starter actuation circuit. If all the preconditions are met the engine cranks and starts.

Sounds like this circuit is somehow being grounded intermittently at some location in the wiring harness other than at the starter PB. Or possibly the starter PB is somehow misbehaving.

They should be able to trace the starter PB circuit and identify the ground fault in the circuit.

You would likely see this error message if the starter pushbutton is pressed while the engine is running. ...
Thanks for the suggestion.

They say they've looked for a problem with the start switch itself, also generally with the wiring, and not found anything. However, this is showing with the engine not running (my picture was taken with the ignition on but the engine not running), so I don't think that should show up as a fault.