OHFJR Rack mounting???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPSMAN

Reaction score
In installed my OHFJR rack and Givi universal mounting plate and to me the top box (V46) vibrates or shakes too much when riding. I dont want to go with the Givi mount for the FJR because my wifes Corbin backrest wont work with it and she needs more lower back support than what Givi offers in a backrest pad. Does any one else with this setup have the same problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the OHFJR rack and the Givi E250 mout with the V46. Steady as a rock. You're probably missing a bit of foam that goes under the rack to keep things stable. Contact him and ask B)

I have the OHFJR rack and the Givi E250 mout with the V46. Steady as a rock. You're probably missing a bit of foam that goes under the rack to keep things stable. Contact him and ask B)
There is a piece of foam on the bottom of the rack that touches at the tip on the stock rack (if you can call it that) Is that what you are talking about?

There is a piece of foam on the bottom of the rack that touches at the tip on the stock rack (if you can call it that) Is that what you are talking about?
Yup. I think it helps to support the back of the rack a bit to keep things from flexing to much. The box should have a 'bit' of movement, but not alot.

The rack and mount are solid and when you put the box on its solid but if you bump it or the bike it shakes a little, Im anal so things like this bother me. Thanks for taking the time to help me with this.

Having said all that and all I will say that my OHFJR rack is fairly 'twistable'. I had a BMW rider hit the rack and it kind of just sprung to a new dimension. I applied counter force and it came back to the original shape. Well, almost the original shape; if you look close you can see it's still twisted. It's a fairly large plate of aluminum with holes in it after all..

I'm not running a Givi box but do have the large size rack on the 06. Does the rack suppose to come with a piece of foam to be installed between the rack and the stock rack? PM. <>< :unsure:

I'm not running a Givi box but do have the large size rack on the 06. Does the rack suppose to come with a piece of foam to be installed between the rack and the stock rack? PM. <>< :unsure:
Mine was mailed to me about a week after I bought the rack for my '07. I don't have the instruction sheet anymore. You're probably fine without it, but you can always ask OHFJR. I'm sure he knows :p

Depending when you bought your rack. I bought mine in March I think and it did not have that foam. Few weeks later there was a structural problem with the rack it self where middle weld broke and I noticed it by having GIVI move too much. I contacted Duane and talked to him about it. We talked about foam or something like that to minimize the shaking. Well, He did what any good business should do and sent me a new rack. This new rack had a much tougher weld and it also had a foam piece at the end. I on the other hand can't find time to send the old piece back for inspection. Duane I promise I will send it out.

To the original poster. Remove the givi plate and inspect the aluminum plate to make sure there is no structural damage there.

When I bought my OHFJR platform there was no foam to go between the platform and the stock tailpiece. I mounted the set up with the V46 trunk and decided it was too far back from the last point of suport - the 3 bolts. I use the trunk for my laptop briefcase and needed something extra to support the mass. I made 2 spacer clamps to tie the OHFJR platform to the trailing edge of the tailpiece (see picture). Even though the stock tailpiece is made out of ABS plastic it stiffened up the trunk set up quite nicely.

IMG_5237.jpg

One other thing about the OHFJR platform, you need to get longer bolts from your Yamaha dealier. The existing bolts are just long enough to do their job. When you add the thickness of the welded on mounts it robs the diecast aluminum structure inside the tail of about 3 threads. Since these are the only thing holding the setup to the back of your bike you need to have full thread engagement to safely carry the weight.

Word to the wise...

If you need to put your bike on centerstand after removing theese 3 bolts, resist the urge to grab the passenger grab handle to lift the back end of the bike. Don't ask me how I know.

Have to disagree with DC Carver that the rack is twistable. A piece of 3/16 air craft al. flat 14" wide, approxiatmently 16 length and your are going to twist it and twist it back I don't think so.

I hae the same rack and it will never do as you stated. And now I see how rumors get started only some of the information and not all the information to base ones alleged expert opinion.

That piece of foam is needed to help support the tail of the rack. Yamaha"s max. weight to be supported by the tail section not to exceed 12 pounds.

If you twisted the rack you were twisting the two bolt stays that Yahmaha mounted under the fender and the the center bolt, when the bike was hit, the brackets where they mount came lose or bent or even the bolts losened up.

I did a fit-ment for the rack for the 05 for them, I believe I have a little more info than just a guess. :)

Have to disagree with DC Carver that the rack is twistable. A piece of 3/16 air craft al. flat 14" wide, approxiatmently 16 length and your are going to twist it and twist it back I don't think so.
I hae the same rack and it will never do as you stated. And now I see how rumors get started only some of the information and not all the information to base ones alleged expert opinion.

That piece of foam is needed to help support the tail of the rack. Yamaha"s max. weight to be supported by the tail section not to exceed 12 pounds.

If you twisted the rack you were twisting the two bolt stays that Yahmaha mounted under the fender and the the center bolt, when the bike was hit, the brackets where they mount came lose or bent or even the bolts losened up.

I did a fit-ment for the rack for the 05 for them, I believe I have a little more info than just a guess. :)
I love this forum and the ability for folks to civily disagree. My rack was hit from the back side, with an upward vector, and it definatly 'sprung' to a 'twisted' shape. Look at the mounting for the rack.. It is triangular, with the triangle being well forward of center length axis. If you grab the back of the rack, either side, then lift up with any force, the rack will distort.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing - it's just physics. The rack is not built of steel, but aluminum. With holes all over for light weight. With a mounting pad located well forward of the rear, which equals a large leverage arm from the rear rack to mounting point.

My comment was not made to disparge the rack. Rather, I'm very impressed with this unit. However, if a stupid fook on a BMW rear ends you, it WILL tweak.

WeekendRider, I have no issues with you and hope this is taken in the proper context based upon my experience. I'd rather keep a FJR brother as a friend than to disagree about a rack. Unless of couse she's blond, and, well, rather endowed.. :rolleyes:

If any OHFJR rack owner wants or needs a piece of foam sent to them, just email me and we will get one out to you right away. Please leave your shipping address in your email.

Thanks!