Windshield auto retract gone

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
Electrical stuff is baffling to me so: I notice the auto windshield retract function on my '03 no longer functions. You can manually retract when power is on; it just doesn't do it automatically when ignition is switched off. Are there any other circuits integrated with this setup or built into the same part of the harness that might also be ready to go on the fritz? I know, I know, get thee to thy dealer, but, trouble is, I think I just broke an axle in my 4x4 pickup (don't ask) and will need to rely on the two-wheeler while the truck is being fixed so can't have them both in the shop simultaneously. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Electrical stuff is baffling to me so: I notice the auto windshield retract function on my '03 no longer functions. You can manually retract when power is on; it just doesn't do it automatically when ignition is switched off. Are there any other circuits integrated with this setup or built into the same part of the harness that might also be ready to go on the fritz? I know, I know, get thee to thy dealer, but, trouble is, I think I just broke an axle in my 4x4 pickup (don't ask) and will need to rely on the two-wheeler while the truck is being fixed so can't have them both in the shop simultaneously. Am I worrying unnecessarily?
If you take your front fairing off (which we can discuss how to in another post) you will see two plugs from the windsheild drive motor. The larger one is the power. The smaller one is the auto retract servo. You may want to just unplug it, and plug it back in. Make sure it is connected well. If it still doesn't work, who cares..... Many have unplugged the servo to stop the auto-retract, "feature".

Either way, I doubt it is much to worry about. Someone else may correct me if I am wrong, but I don't beleive that this switch is integrated with anything else.

P.S. here is a picture.

Yellow = power

red = auto retract servo

motor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Keithaba, thank you for the most excellent help, including illustrations. You are right: The auto retract function is of little importance, but I was concerned that another, more crucial and related failure could be imminent. I will worry less and dig in when I get the time.

Actually, I now find the auto retract is intermittent, which surely sounds like a loose or dirty connection. No worries.

Actually, I now find the auto retract is intermittent, which surely sounds like a loose or dirty connection. No worries.

I have an 04 FJR and It to has an intermitant auto retract problem. Have checked that connector and fuses. I am starting to think

its the Ignition switch. Even though it does not other signs of going bad it could be just that part of the Ignition swith.

FJRkid