What happend to FJR.......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FODS happened

Then going back in time,

Hopland ride - rider down in a lowside

Ice House - rider down in a collision with a car doing a U turn from parked position

Fortuna - rider down in parking lot

Lassen - rider down at gas pump

Yosemite - sidecase knocked off FJR by HD across into FJR's lane

I can't remember any other rides I was personally on that had accidents of some kind...but I can say that on about 33% of the rides I've been on with more than 8 bikes in the last two years have resulted in one accident or another. Luckily, of the ones above, there was only one injury that I can remember, and that wasn't all that bad. Everyone of the rides above had more than 8 bikes. Interesting coincidence? I think riding in large groups makes people relax their guard. They feel protected by other bikes when they should be just as scared of the bikes because, after all, they are just traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I went on the New Year's Day ride in Sacramento, there was a rider in front of me who was clearly skills challenged. Not only did he keep me from riding at the pace I wanted, but I was nervous I would get into a mishap with him.

And then there was DCarver's post about losing his buddy when a newbie went down on a group ride, causing a car to crash into his buddy.

And when I only had the Harley, I joined the Harley Owner's Group (HOG), and went on one group ride. I realized right away I didn't like riding in lock-step formation. It didn't feel safe to me. Part of why I concluded that wasn't my tribe.

When I went on the Napa ride this year, I hooked up with the first group, which kept up a quick pace with very few breaks. That's not how I like to ride, but I was pulled along because I wanted to participate (be part of the group). I like MadMike2's concept of the "joint destination" ride--namely, "I'll see you at the destination." That way you can break into smaller groups and ride closer to your preferred pace.

But I'm thinking I'm losing interest in group rides. I'm more interested in the pre- and post-ride gatherings where we can visit with each other. What I think I'm seeing more of is individual riders pulling some close and trusted riding mates together rather than sending out an all-hands call for a group ride.

But I'm not saying I won't show up at the next big group ride call.

The largest group ride I went on in the last 15 years was six machines. No kidding, it turned into a cluster-f**k within five minutes. When we DID get regrouped, it was time for a "riders meeting" and a dose of leadership and good-sense discipline. We actually salvaged that tour and made it a good one. Like Mr. Burleigh, I am now only interested in soloing (with pillion) or riding with a very select few (my brother) who have plenty of experience, know what they are doing and who I can trust.

Last weekend, returning from a little 320-mile loop, I caught up to slow train doing five mph under the limit. It was nine bikes in semi-tight formation holding up four cars. No wonder the cars were stacked up since the pack allowed no space for anyone to execute a pass. The cagers must have been pissed. Thanks to FJR torque, I managed to get around them with three passes, tucking into their group where I could, whether they liked it or not.

No thanks! I don't do groups - ever anymore - over three, maybe four machines.

Funny how everyone is too experienced to ride with other riders! Where are all the inexperienced riders? Or are you guys all ex-motogp or just possers? LOL. On an average day I will ride with new riders or all you ex-motogp racers with your tons of experience. My wife is a new rider with a little over a 1000 miles, but we have fun on our easy rides. On a fast day, it's three bikes max.

I've broken in plenty of new riders, but do this with an experienced rider in front, one behind, setting a nice, safe pace with the lead rider scouting and warning for hazards. These aren't the most fun but, you are right, someone has to do it. I'd never place a newbie with a big group.

I know better than to post on this, but I don't think I need to be an ex-MotoGP rider to make safety decisions for myself and my pillion. I'll decide what is acceptable and what is not, thank you. I expect everyone else to do the same.

Thanks to this site, I have ridden with a number of riders whose cameraderie I greatly enjoy, most of whom have been great fun to ride with and who do so competently and safely. I have formed opinions about others' riding (riders from this site and from elsewhere), as I'm sure they have about mine. Fortunately, most that I have ridden with have impressed me as very good riders, and I think most (if not all of them) know that is how I feel about their riding and my willingness/eagerness to ride with them. But even amongst the riders I am very comfortable riding with, I prefer groups under 6 or maybe 8 riders. If more, I'd prefer to split it up and meet at the destination and maybe stops along the way. OTOH, I have ridden with a few folks whose skills do not suit them to push it for any reason, and others who have the skills but have done some things in my presence that make me leary about riding with them (at least, in the same group).

My life, my health, my choice. My pillion(s) expect nothing less of me. I can't think of many worse ways to spend a day than on a ride where we have to clean up an accident involving someone we know. Sometimes, it's unavoidable, but I'd rather minimize the chances of that occurring.

I'm not sure we DON'T do group rides anymore, so much as it has become more informal smaller groups among riders who know one another and are comfortable riding together, as opposed to general announcements on the site that may be a bit less frequent than in the past.

Not identifying anyone, trying to insult anyone, or claiming I'm hot shit on a bike, but it is a part of the decision process that I feel is my responsibility as a motorcyclist.

For me, if a group knows how to ride in a group, then I'm OK with it. As example: If I'm not riding up to snuff, I'll pull to the right and wave riders by as soon as I think it's safe and let those who are faster/better riders than me have at it. I expect the same courtesy, but that rarely - and I mean rarely - happens. That really kills the ride for me and makes me ponder the botherations of group rides.

On the other hand, the group rides to and from WFO were the best GR experiences I ever had precisely because of the proper etiquette exhibited by the participants... Well, except for the Highlander guy. Man, he sure is pokey! :p

Leading in an exemplary fashion, or pickin' up the pieces as sweep, but rad hates being da monkey in da middle.

Well I guess I should speak up since I and another individual ( you know who ) seemed to orginaize 90% of the NorCal group rides, but it seems rides were growing larger and larger. Last spring's Napa run I called out had over 30 bikes, too many to be comfortable with IMHO. HD runs are larger but they putt along, FJR runs are pretty spirited, and that's the problem to start with.

I want to publicly thank Ijuggle for stepping up when no-one else would to lead half the Napa run and split the pack. That eased the situation, but there were still reports of borderline safe passing, crossing the double yellow overcooking the corners, guys getting lost ( but thanks for riding your own pace guys ), some guys parking it in the corners setting off a chain reaction down the line etc etc. I could go on, but after riding sweep a few times also I've seen and heard enough. In the interet of everyone's safety, good or bad riders, it's better to start adopting the " shared destination " concept.

I'll probably still call for group "gatherings" now and again, but full fledge "runs" are history as far as I'm concerned.

In the interet of everyone's safety, good or bad riders, it's better to start adopting the " shared destination " concept.I'll probably still call for group "gatherings" now and again, but full fledge "runs" are history as far as I'm concerned.
'Zactly! And in that context, it's feasible to have smaller informally organized subgroups get together to travel together where all are comfortable and compatible. Kinda how it was for 6 of us getting to Red Bluff on our Fortuna trip last September -- perfect!

Speaking of which, I keep wanting to do a 4 day shared destination, small groups trip: (1) 49 to 89 thru Lassen to Yreka, (2) 96 to 299 to 101 to Fortuna (leaving afternoon available for playing on Ave. of Giants, 36 or Lost Coast), (3) 101 to 1 to Bodega Bay, and then (4) back home. I made some noise about it some months ago, but never got my shit together or found an available time to put it together. Could be done where it was 3 days for some (with the Bodega day becoming a going home day for some).

Personally, I am running out of legal funds to continue leading any group rides.

:(

But seriously, I have resolved to not ride with anyone that I would not be comfortable to swap bikes with. I will still do occasional large group rides, like the Saturday at WFO. But 4-5 bikes is my preferred group size. That's pretty much as many as I can keep in sight in the rear view.

Personally, I am running out of legal funds to continue leading any group rides. :(

But seriously, I have resolved to not ride with anyone that I would not be comfortable to swap bikes with. I will still do occasional large group rides, like the Saturday at WFO. But 4-5 bikes is my preferred group size. That's pretty much as many as I can keep in sight in the rear view.

Did you really get sued by someone? Do tell.

In the interet of everyone's safety, good or bad riders, it's better to start adopting the " shared destination " concept.I'll probably still call for group "gatherings" now and again, but full fledge "runs" are history as far as I'm concerned.
'Zactly! And in that context, it's feasible to have smaller informally organized subgroups get together to travel together where all are comfortable and compatible. Kinda how it was for 6 of us getting to Red Bluff on our Fortuna trip last September -- perfect!

Speaking of which, I keep wanting to do a 4 day shared destination, small groups trip: (1) 49 to 89 thru Lassen to Yreka, (2) 96 to 299 to 101 to Fortuna (leaving afternoon available for playing on Ave. of Giants, 36 or Lost Coast), (3) 101 to 1 to Bodega Bay, and then (4) back home. I made some noise about it some months ago, but never got my shit together or found an available time to put it together. Could be done where it was 3 days for some (with the Bodega day becoming a going home day for some).
Plan it and they will come :rolleyes:

Latest posts