Yamaha Heated handwarmers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobber

Reaction score
:( Bought a set of OEM handwarmers for my 2005 FJR and the instructions seem to have lots of info but in a language I cann't read, Japanese!

Anyone know where I can access installation instructions on-line somewhere? Have the bike somewhat apart to install a wiring harness for my tow behind camper trailer(Kwik Kamp) and would be great if I could finish it now.

There are two different heated grip versions - Gen-2 uses a different setup and is supposedly 'speed sensitive (controlled by the bike's ECU)

Make certain you have the right one before you start ripping the old grips off.

I tried to cadge a set off EBay from someone in Germany, but was outbid at the last second . . . I found out later that the buyer has an '04 and couldn't use the grips because they were for Gen-2. But he had destroyed the wiring in his misguided attempt to make it fit . . .

Found a set of translated instructions here on the Forum from 2002. But come to find out the r/h grip is open. On the bench, it shows 2.2 ohms but when on the bike nadda. Must be a break inside which opens when the grip expands from installation. Put grip on/off bike twice with same results each time. Only place I can find which sells grips individually is BMW, as Yamaha doesn't give warranty for electrical. Or go for an aftermarket set-up.

When I had the unit together on the bench, hooked up to a auto battery it wouldn't work. Checked voltage and at 12.44 Volts. Put a charger on battery and heaters worked fine so guess there is a voltage moniter in the controller which shuts down grips so as not to drain batttery if left on.

...But come to find out the r/h grip is open. On the bench, it shows 2.2 ohms but when on the bike nadda...Only place I can find which sells grips individually is BMW...Or go for an aftermarket set-up...When I had the unit together on the bench, hooked up to a auto battery it wouldn't work. Checked voltage and at 12.44 Volts. Put a charger on battery and heaters worked fine so guess there is a voltage moniter in the controller which shuts down grips so as not to drain batttery if left on.
It does sound like the right grip is open internally. You could use a heat tape like this:

Place the heat element under the stock grip, then wire it up using the Yamaha heat controller, just as if it were a Yamaha heated grip. The wattage is the same so it should work fine.

You can also try Hot Grip and see if they would sell a single grip, you would need to specify a throttle grip:

The Yamaha heat controller does indeed monitor supply voltage and needs to see >12.7 volts for the controller to work.

Schematic I drew for the Yamaha grip kit:

GripSchematic.jpg

Latest posts