Clutch Slippage on 06AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSGEN2

Reaction score
MAYBE SOME OF YOU AE GUYS HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM,OR MAYBE IT'S INHERENT WITH THE AE. I GET SOME SERIOUS CLUTCH SLIPPAGE IN THE HIGHER RPM'S WHEN SHIFTING GEARS.FIRST TO SECOND AND THEN TO THIRD ARE REALLY BAD,THE BIKE LITTERLY FALLS ON IT'S FACE BETWEEN GEARS AT ANYTHING OVER 6 GRAND WHEN SHIFTING.IT TAKES A GOOD SECOND OR TWO BEFORE THE CLUTCH WILL REENGAGE FULLY. THIS CANNOT BE GOOD FOR THE CLUTCH,IT'S SLIPPING LIKE CRAZY. I'M WONDERING IF THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE SHIFT ECU.I DO HAVE AN APPOINTMENT TO TAKE IT TO THE DEALER TOMMOROW,SO HE CAN ROAD TEST IT.THE BIKE HAS 8500KM ON IT,THE ONLY THING I DID THAT I THOUGHT MAY BE CAUSING IT IS THAT AT 5000KM I CHANGED THE OIL TO AMSOIL 10/40 SYNTHETIC.I HAVEN'T REALLY NOTICED THE PROBLEM UNTIL THE LAST COUPLE OF THOUSAND KM'S.I DO RIDE TWO UP MOST OF THE TIME,AND DON'T REALLY RIDE THAT HARD WITH THE BETTER HALF ON THE BACK,COULD BE WHY I NEVER REALLY NOTICED IT. AS MUCH AS I LOVE THE FJR IF THIS IS AN INHERENT PROBLEM THAT CAN'T BE FIXED I MAY BE FORCED TO TRADE FOR A C14,I'M GOING TO TRY ONE OUT TOMORROW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something is WRONG!

Take it to the shop and fix her! My AE shifts super smooth all the time in all gears.

I have noticed this as well, but only from 1st to 2nd and only when i'm really pushing it. I'm not really convinced that there anything wrong but I'm not sure. I get the revs up fairly high in 1st then let up on the throttle ever so slightly before shifting to 2nd. I use the paddle shifters exclusively and have gotten really fast at the shift. The shift between 1st and second is very fast and at really high rpm. I suspect that the ECU may be slipping the clutch on purpose, bad programming, or somthing. I dont know how else to describe it but like I said, It only happens when I'm hitting it really hard. If I let off of the trottle even a tiny bit it hooks up and takes off like a shot. The dealer looks at me like I rode in on a spaceship every time I ask a question about the bike so I'm not bothering with them.

<snip>I GET SOME SERIOUS CLUTCH SLIPPAGE IN THE HIGHER RPM'S WHEN SHIFTING GEARS.....THIS CANNOT BE GOOD FOR THE CLUTCH,IT'S SLIPPING LIKE CRAZY. .... AT 5000KM I CHANGED THE OIL TO AMSOIL 10/40 SYNTHETIC.
A note of caution here: clutches will take an amazing amount of slippage at low rpm; but slippage at high rpm can ruin them in short order -- they just can't (in many cases) get rid of the heat generated fast enough. Not to turn this into an oil thread -- but, with a wet clutch, oil is part of the design. Changing oil types/brands/viscosities/etc. may/can introduce variables (some maybe not tested by the factory?). Good luck getting it rectified. And I'd recommend not allowing the slipping to continue by either changing back to previous oil or modifying riding technique.

Anyone else sense this guy's a TROLL? First he shouts with all caps. Then he's posted 4 times and has zero info about himself in his profile.

"IT TAKES A GOOD SECOND OR TWO BEFORE THE CLUTCH WILL REENGAGE FULLY."

I recently picked up a new '06, and have about 650 miles on it now. I've also searched the forum for similar responses.

I've noticed that the delay occurs (and also sense some clutch slippage) when I'm accelerating moderate to hard, with the hand-shift.

However, if I accelerate hard, throttle (blip) down a bit like I would on a clutched bike... and then shift with the foot switch... The shift seems to be much stronger, and engages quickly.

I guess this "problem" only occurs when using the hand-shift? This may be a delayed clutch engagement, due to the computer processing the request, and maybe not engaging the clutch as quickly as a foot shift?

I did change the oil to dino oil (Valvoline Motorcycle 10W40) yesterday, and it seems to shift a bit smoother now.

Mine's due to go into the dealer for 600 mi service in a few days. I'll post up, if we find out anything.

Blipping is needed when shifting with either foot or finger.

Throttle control grasshopper, throttle control.

I have noticed this as well, but only from 1st to 2nd and only when i'm really pushing it. I'm not really convinced that there anything wrong but I'm not sure. I get the revs up fairly high in 1st then let up on the throttle ever so slightly before shifting to 2nd. I use the paddle shifters exclusively and have gotten really fast at the shift. The shift between 1st and second is very fast and at really high rpm. I suspect that the ECU may be slipping the clutch on purpose, bad programming, or somthing. I dont know how else to describe it but like I said, It only happens when I'm hitting it really hard. If I let off of the trottle even a tiny bit it hooks up and takes off like a shot. The dealer looks at me like I rode in on a spaceship every time I ask a question about the bike so I'm not bothering with them.

I have noticed the exact same thing including the clutch hooking back up when I quickly blip the throttle. I would say this is a YCCS/ECU issue since blipping the throttle wouldn't have such a consistant result if the clutch itself was the problem. I have gotten around this by not running past the max torque range in first gear under hard acceleration.

Not to turn this into an oil thread -- but, with a wet clutch, oil is part of the design. Changing oil types/brands/viscosities/etc. may/can introduce variables (some maybe not tested by the factory?). Good luck getting it rectified. And I'd recommend not allowing the slipping to continue by either changing back to previous oil or modifying riding technique.
+1 - Anybody know if Spamsoil synthetic contains the dreaded anti-friction additives?

Lots of discussion available on that in the NERPT section that should show up after a quick search.

I may be trying to rationalize this too much but it may be a deliberate function of the YCCS logic.

Yamaha states... "Always return the throttle to the closed position while changing gears to avoid damaging the engine, transmission, and drive train, which are not designed to withstand the shock of forced shifting".

The slipping could be intentional to prevent damage given the YCCS is reading the ECU for throttle position vs. current gear and RPM. Would be interesting to get ahold of the actual YCCS logic.

This topic was discussed here.

The clutch will slip if you don't modulate the throttle during upshifts. This is deliberate to protect both the transmission and you. If it dropped the clutch in during a full throttle gear change, you'd most likely make the back wheel slip. So it slips until the engine revs drop to the road speed, against your throttle setting.

When I have done this, it can take some seconds to engage fully. Just dip the throttle, it will catch instantly.

I remember some reference someplace to an "anti-wheelie" feature of the clutch slipping at WOT. Mine does the same thing, I just back off for a millisecond when shifting. No issues with the electric shifter, you simply have to understand how it's supposed to work. Same thing with the heavy klunking complaints between 1-2-3 under light acceleration, simply give it a little more enthusiasm and practice shift/throttle timing. ARFJR is correct, become one with your bike/shifter/clutch.

Hello

I was looking through the forum for this problem

I have a conventional shift. I have had no problem before, there is no oil change involved, the bike was fine last week.

The delay (half a second) occours when I throttle fast and heavely, like when doing a wheelie or an overturn. The engine sounds and run fine otherwhise, the bike just doesn´t move forward during this moment. It doesn´t go up (and down) in rpm like I think it should have if it had been a clutch problem.

I have been practecing the wheelie (5000 rpm on 1st gear then full throttle), could this had worn out the clutch? Note, I don´t use the clutch when (trying to) wheelie

2004 FJR ABS

1500 kms (932 miles)

Sweden