Iowa Wyoming N. AND S. Dakota Camping

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257robertsimp

Reaction score
I am leaving from Indiana on August 30th. Our trip route will take us through Iowa on the first day. We usually stop along I 29 or just into South Dakota on the first night. Our final destination is going to be Glacier national park. We may travel to Yellowstone if the fires are not under control by the travel date. There are two people in our group so we would not be any trouble. If you would allow the two of us to camp that would be great. We always like to meet new people on the way. If you guys have any good ideas about camping please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the fjrforum list.............they will always help. If you ever come by dallas I'll have a room for you to sleep in.

I am planning to be out riding Aug. 30-Sept. 4, but if you are between Yellowstone and Glacier (southwest Montana - Butte) after that, I've got a camp trailer in town you could use or we have family recreational property on the Jefferson River (one of the three forks of the Missouri) with a primitive cabin, tipi and plenty of camping area.

The fires are pretty bad right now and simply not enough resources available to put them out. Hell, we're hardly able to slow them down let alone stop them. We're looking for a "season-ending event" which is a big rain or snow but who knows when we'll see that... The worst is the northwest corner of the state; southwest hasn't been too bad. Global warming...yeah, right. Eight years of drought and temps way above average will surely set this scenario up.

This is a good link for fire updates:

https://www.inciweb.org/state/27/

Last edited by a moderator:
Anywhere in the Black Hills is beautiful. Custer State Park has lots of wildlife and lakes. Close to Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse monuments. Spearfish and Deadwood is also great. Lots of beautiful scenery and good roads.