Key West Poker Run Weekend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrunDog

Reaction score
Hello all,

I live in Fort Lauderdale and I went down to Key West this weekend for the annual Poker Run. Thought I might throw a few pictures at ya.

Feel free to add some if you went, too. I know ock913 went (sorry I didn't hook up with you, I forgot to take your number), spine60 went (IIRC you went on your wing, which is good, because you saved me the money I would be inevitably be spending tomorrow if I had seen your blue-flames), and radiohowie went. Any other FJR owners??

Here is what the scenery looks like as you bump from key to key. The weather was a little hot which would have not been a problem except for the occassional slow downs due to poker run traffic:

P9161813.jpg

The usual line up of Hardleys. Let's just say that I was not in any company of Sport-tourers. I can count on one hand and one foot out of >10,000 bike how many STs I saw:

P9171822.jpg

P9171828.jpg

I guess if you are going to ride a cartoon bike you might as well paint cartoon characters on it, too:

P9171826.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
continued...

I guess if you are going to ride a bike that doesn't have an inline-4 it might as well have a V-8. There were some well done Boss-Hosses:

P9171847.jpg

Or if you have to ride a V-twin it might as well be twenty feet long:

P9171843.jpg

I was not sure if this was a case of "Help, I've fallen but I can't get up..." or "Do not worry, I am a mechanic and I am just working on this bike, even though I have no tools...":

P9171835.jpg

And the usual suspects, though it wasn't too crowded. Sorry I didn't get any mammary shots - saw plenty, just missed the good ones with the camera during the day, and went without the camera at night, knowing damn well I would have lost it or traded to keep the aggressive transexuals off me:

P9171834.jpg

P9171849.jpg

continued...

Who's bone-stock '04 is this? The only mod I saw was the addition of a Sunpass toll transceiver:

P9171854.jpg

And me, a quick shot by the SM marker. And for the record I was not wearing gear only because we were put-putting around Duvall street between lunch and the show:

P9171863.jpg

-BD

Hey BrunDog,

Was that you I paced on the Turnpike Sunday morning heading north?

I was on the silver '04 and we were running with a couple of Harleys.

You have a Corbin GF&L on your FJR with the backrest installed?

The '05 I was riding with was driven solo. No pillion.

RadioHowie

Was that you I paced on the Turnpike Sunday morning heading north?
Howie ...... I believe that was me. I was with a couple cruisers, but they weren't Harleys. If you were the one in the orange jacket, then that was me. The pillion was following in the white Dodge Caravan. We got hit by a few spots of rain coming out of the Keys and she opted for the comfort of watching DVD movies in the back seat. What a woman I got, leaving me to fight the rain alone.

BD, same thing happened to me with the phone #'s. I had yours and Spine's written on a piece of paper that I thought I had placed in my wallet. I was going to call you both on Friday or Saturday, but never found the paper ......... til I got home and it was sitting on my desk. Sorry :-(

Anyway, my review would have been much like yours. Cruisers galore, primarily Harleys. I saw 2 ST1300's, a few dozen Gold Wings and sport bikes, and not one FJR, except Howie on the way home. As I drove down Duval Saturday afternoon, I did have somebody point and say, there's an FJR, but couldn't tell who said it. I would have had the bags off at the time.

That was my first ever trip to Key West so I used the Poker Run event as another reason to go. If I were to do it again, it would only be because a group of friends were going. It was just an overwhelmingly Harley prominent event. At least Daytona Bike Week attracts bikes of all types. Did see alot of silicone this weekend though, that is always a plus.

Yeah, that was me in the orange jacket. I toasted my forearms really good on the trip down Saturday and decided to delay terminal skin cancer another week or two by opting for the jacket.

Didn't notice the two cruisers weren't Harleys. They all look the same to me. :dribble:

Guess we hit the same bits of rain. By noonish, nearing YeeHaw Junction (yeah, you outtastaters, there really IS a YeeHaw Junction in FLA) I was BEGGING for rain to cool things down.

What a damn miserably hot day.

So, if I add correctly, so far, there were 5 FJRs?

RadioHowie's 04 and his friend's 05, Ock's 05, my 05, and the unknown '04 in the pic above.

Ahhh, isn't there a law against owning an FJR and not being active on these forums?? Somebody call the cops.

-BD

BD,

Thanks for sharing the Key West Pics. We travel there once a year by boat. My outlaws have a place in Taverneer just south of Key Largo. The guy laying down next to the bikes was just a homeless guy trying to roll over in his bed. They are all over the place down there. BTW, nice '05 and is that a Scorpion helmet? Which one the 400 or 700?

Jeez, godawful heat, bums laying in the street, V-Twins and transexuals. Sounds like my kinda fun!! :unsure:

So, if I add correctly, so far, there were 5 FJRs?
RadioHowie's 04 and his friend's 05, Ock's 04, my 05, and the unknown '04 in the pic above.
Ock's 04 ?????? I like the younger one's. My baby is an '05, you know, the faster non-ticking Galaxy Blue one's.

fjr1300.jpg

I didn't see any, except Howie on the way home. Where was everyone? I drove down Duval a couple times on Saturday, but other than that, my bike was parked in front of our room at the Bed & Breakfast where we stayed. Parking was a premium on the street and if I moved it I would have never got it back.

Moby: Yeah, I am familiar with his actual background. I could smell him across the street. Yes, it is a Scorpion. I forgot my net so in order to scoot around town I used the bag it comes in to tie it down temporarily. It is a silver 700, which I like very much - comfortable and good visor system, though not the quietest of hats.

Ock: My bad! I have no idea why I said '04! Consider it fixed!

-BD

Dog,

yeah i agree about the excess sound experienced with the Scorp. $1 ear plugs are the ticket. I have the mirrored shield on a flat black EXO 400. Looks killer. Gets a bit hot riding into the sun. I 'll have to check to see if it is UV or not. Maybe a new lid will be on the Christmas list this year.? next to the Givi trunk and mounting plate, new leathers, rain suit, better gloves, PCIII, Slip ons (undecided make due to not hearing anything except Two bros), Tires, Back-off w/ LED, Battery tender etc...

MO

I like the first pic the best. You know, if I'm in Key West I'd rather be looking at the water. I always figured Sturgis was so big because there's nothing but the bikes to look at in that town. ;-)

Moby: Yeah, I am familiar with his actual background. I could smell him across the street.
BDog,

We were in Key West Last year and in the middle of the day we stumbled out of Margaritaville. :alcoholic: In the street was a bum laying down with a cardboard sign with "Anything appreciated" written on it. He was wearing daisy dukes and his nuts were hanging out. I said "I bet you would appreciate some sun block" He replied " yeah if you put in on for me"

YUK!

Hey Dogger, I was there also, brought the Wing, didn't see any FJR's anywhere. Nice ride through the Keys to get there!! Greg

spine,

I knew you were on the wing. How dare you? What, are you trying to be just like everyone else? What's next, a Road King?

-BD

Shit spine, why didn't ya just party and wait for the bus? I gotta put together a FAQ pamphlet, Welfare and how it Works For You ..... :D

Latest posts