Does the FJR have a VSS wire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuilderBob

Reaction score
Still screwing around with the problem-ridden Audiovox CC100 on my 07. All of us who have installed this CC have tapped into coil wire for the speed signal. The manual that comes with the CC prefers tapping into the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) wire for vehicles that have one.

So, my question for the guys who have the shop manual is, does the FJR have a VSS wire? I would think so since the speedo is electronic. Sure would appreciate it someone with the shop manual would take a look. You might be able to rescue all of us 06 & 07 owners with Audiovox CC from eternal frustration!

Thanks!

Bob:

Scanned thru my manual briefly. Couldn't find any specific VSS (vehicle speed sensor) mentioned. However, the ABS system utilizes individual speed readings from each wheel. May be a useful source, but you don't want to risk tampering with that system.

I'll continue to search my manual and update if I find anything better.

Hit and Jack,

Back during the early install days for the Audiovox, it was discovered that it was far easier to install the blue coil pickup wire on the ECU connector on the left side of the bike - it's the large gauge ORANGE wire.

I originally installed mine using the coil pick up - and aside from the fact it's very difficult to get to - I wasn't real comfortable with running that hyper-critical blue wire past the engine - possible signal interference ?

I re-installed mine using the orange wire for the pickup -

I've now installed 5 of these units (1 06 AE, 2 06 A, 2 05) - each using the ECU orange wire for the pickup - and unless someone doesn't want to hurt my feelings, they're all rock solid. Mine has 17+ K on it without a hiccup.

Here's a link from the forum -Audiovox install

You might try the advanced search option - using +audiovox +orange in the field results in some solid hits -

I can't help but think that some of the units out there that are strangely flaky are having coil pickup problems.

Best of luck with this !!

The Gen I's have an engine speed sensor on the back of the engine, however, the frequency of the sensor is too high to be used with the AVCC. Gen II's don't have this sensor, relying on the rear wheel ABS sensor in its place.

The AVCC does come with a magnetic pickup that can be used in place of a VSS signal. During the first round of postings about Gen II AVCC problems I had suggested that someone try the magnetic pickup, which kballowe and some others did -- no joy -- at least for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adding to Alan's comments (second time this seating on a similar topic), in the early days of the AV install, it was discovered that the VSS was too "fast" for the AV. The benefit to this is that the cruise will get to your set speed independent of the gear. Now, with the engine tach, the bike will resume to the same engine speed, and different gears will yield difference speeds. Nonetheless, this is never really a problem in real use.

Someone talked about making a divider circuit a while back but I don't think it ever materialized. That would be a sensible way to solve the problem, but why bother? Why add the complexity and cost?? Like Kaitsdad said above, the tach signal works, and works very well. There are hundreds of installs on this forum with hundreds of thousands of miles and they have been working rock solid.

-BD

Bob:Scanned thru my manual briefly. Couldn't find any specific VSS (vehicle speed sensor) mentioned. However, the ABS system utilizes individual speed readings from each wheel. May be a useful source, but you don't want to risk tampering with that system.

I'll continue to search my manual and update if I find anything better.
Thanks Jack. Based on other responses, I don't think the VSS will be a good take-off point. I'm interested in the ABS system though. That might be an avenue to explore.

Hit and Jack,
Back during the early install days for the Audiovox, it was discovered that it was far easier to install the blue coil pickup wire on the ECU connector on the left side of the bike - it's the large gauge ORANGE wire.

I originally installed mine using the coil pick up - and aside from the fact it's very difficult to get to - I wasn't real comfortable with running that hyper-critical blue wire past the engine - possible signal interference ?

I re-installed mine using the orange wire for the pickup -

I've now installed 5 of these units (1 06 AE, 2 06 A, 2 05) - each using the ECU orange wire for the pickup - and unless someone doesn't want to hurt my feelings, they're all rock solid. Mine has 17+ K on it without a hiccup.

Here's a link from the forum -Audiovox install

You might try the advanced search option - using +audiovox +orange in the field results in some solid hits -

I can't help but think that some of the units out there that are strangely flaky are having coil pickup problems.

Best of luck with this !!
Thanks. The orange wire at the ECU will be my next attempt.

The Gen I's have an engine speed sensor on the back of the engine, however, the frequency of the sensor is too high to be used with the AVCC. Gen II's don't have this sensor, relying on the rear wheel ABS sensor in its place.
The AVCC does come with a magnetic pickup that can be used in place of a VSS signal. During the first round of postings about Gen II AVCC problems I had suggested that someone try the magnetic pickup, which kballowe and some others did -- no joy -- at least for them.
Thank you. Looks like the VSS isn't the answer. Still searching.

Adding to Alan's comments (second time this seating on a similar topic), in the early days of the AV install, it was discovered that the VSS was too "fast" for the AV. The benefit to this is that the cruise will get to your set speed independent of the gear. Now, with the engine tach, the bike will resume to the same engine speed, and different gears will yield difference speeds. Nonetheless, this is never really a problem in real use.
Someone talked about making a divider circuit a while back but I don't think it ever materialized. That would be a sensible way to solve the problem, but why bother? Why add the complexity and cost?? Like Kaitsdad said above, the tach signal works, and works very well. There are hundreds of installs on this forum with hundreds of thousands of miles and they have been working rock solid.

-BD
Unfortunately, it seems that the problem only affects the 06 & 07 bikes. Yamaha changed something in the Gen II bikes that messes with the AV install. I'm envious of the Gen I owners that have had no problems. There's got to be a solution for the Gen II bikes.

I guess that some CC is better than no CC. I found the problem causing my CC not to work at all. Seems that one of the connectors at the brake lever switch came off (washing the bike?). Re-connected it and I am back to intermittant failure!

Unfortunately, it seems that the problem only affects the 06 & 07 bikes. Yamaha changed something in the Gen II bikes that messes with the AV install. I'm envious of the Gen I owners that have had no problems. There's got to be a solution for the Gen II bikes.
??????

It is the same motor, and AFAIK, the same ignition. The FI was changed, but that is not related. I know of tons of 06/07 owners whose AV works fine. Yours should too.

-BD

??????

It is the same motor, and AFAIK, the same ignition. The FI was changed, but that is not related. I know of tons of 06/07 owners whose AV works fine. Yours should too.

-BD
Lots of discussion on the board about this problem. It's real. Wish it were that simple. Sure would like to communicate with the 06/07 owners who aren't having this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob my '06 has a rock solid Smitty install. I'm not smart enough to know what he did but your'e welcome to look. Gonna lift the tank

and pull panels soon when Solteks arrive. Could use your expertise wiring that relay too. Matts coming by for a TBS too, any others in the area are welcome. Will give you a call when ready.

Bob my '06 has a rock solid Smitty install. I'm not smart enough to know what he did but your'e welcome to look. Gonna lift the tankand pull panels soon when Solteks arrive. Could use your expertise wiring that relay too. Matts coming by for a TBS too, any others in the area are welcome. Will give you a call when ready.
You're one of the lucky ones. Even Smitty has posted up about his frustration with 06/07's. Some of his installs have exhibited the same failure. That said, I would be curious to take a look at yours to see if there is anything glaringly different with his installation.

When are you going to do it? I'm leaving for the U.P. of Michigan (yes, on the FJR) Friday, Aug 31 and won't be back until Tues, Sept 11.

Add me to the list of coil tappers-at the ECM. 5 done, all working as advertised.

You're one of the lucky ones. Even Smitty has posted up about his frustration with 06/07's. Some of his installs have exhibited the same failure. That said, I would be curious to take a look at yours to see if there is anything glaringly different with his installation.
When are you going to do it? I'm leaving for the U.P. of Michigan (yes, on the FJR) Friday, Aug 31 and won't be back until Tues, Sept 11.
The failures have all been AE models-and the AE models only. Forget having the CCS100 on an AE, your only choice for this model is the MC Cruise.

I believe after following other threads that it does not just pertain to the AE models. I'm also experiencing the same issues with my install, and have changed everything except for using the alternate location for tach signal. I'll give that a try soon. I, as well as others have been racking our brains trying to figure this out for months. I keep coming back to the tach signal as the culprit.

I've read that Yamaha will be updating/replacing some of our 07 ECU's soon due to the altitude issues. I'm hoping that this might resolve my cruise problems. The reason I think it might, is for the fact that while heading to WFO last month, my cruise worked fine for over an hour, but I was at 7000 ft or so. Locally at 1800 ft, the cruise only works for 15-20 min.

Call me optimistic. ;-)