Soltek Fuego's taking on moisture

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Like I thought, they aren't designed as sponges and Baja will make it right if yours have leaked (within the period of the three-year warranty). Even if a bulb quits, it will be covered for three years from date of purchase.

From an email message:
We have had a issue with moisture entering the lights in the past, but the problem has been fixed or so we thought.
I spoke with:

Jayce Yardley

Baja Designs/SolTek Lighting

800-422-5292 Ext. 126

www.bajadesigns.com

No. WFO.

Park City got something like four inches of rain in two hours on Wednesday. Mine was parked by then, but it was raining too hard for me to want to ride it around the block to the underground parking lot. One light took on some water, so it's going back to Baja for them to figure out where the water's getting in.

There were also some reports of the lights taking on water on the IBR bikes.

You didn't ride it to the Guzzi meet, did you? :)
Solteks at the Guzzi Rally :blink:

flood5.jpg

Toe- thanks for the post. Keep us up to date with fix. I'm still waiting for my lights.. Good thing I have candles, eh? :rolleyes:

I have got my lights and just waiting on my brackets. But Thought that I would see what kind of lights would throw. Nice. But as I was jumping it from the truck battery I noticed that the ground was getting kind of warm. It could have been because it was not a tight connection.... but still...

What gauge of wire should we be using? I am talking from battery through relay to lights. And then gauge of the ground wire?

Toecutter? What did you use?

Definitely. I know of three folks off the top of my head: Doug Chapman, Rick Martin, and George Barnes.

Here is George Barnes' story:

Both of my Solteks took on water on the 1st leg of the rally. One stillworks, although the reflector is discolored. I haven't taken the time to

determine if the other, non-working, one has an electrical problem in the

wiring or if the bulb/ballast/ignitor failed. One of mine also has a crack

in the lens.
:blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely. I know of three folks off the top of my head: Doug Chapman, Rick Martin, and George Barnes.

Both of my Solteks took on water on the 1st leg of the rally. One stillworks, although the reflector is discolored. I haven't taken the time to

in the lens.
Actually mine are still in their boxes as I have not received brackets yet.

My Hellas did not take on water of any kind, even the broken cased one patched with Goop and zip ties.

dougc

At least you have yours, desert boy! I'm still anxioulsy waiting my lights :rolleyes: as it's now 0-darkthirty when I leave for work.

At least you have yours, desert boy! I'm still anxioulsy waiting my lights :rolleyes: as it's now 0-darkthirty when I leave for work.
Yea, I'd like to have mine for EOM, but I don't guess that's gonna happen. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Then Karma did me right when it through me a curve and sucked up my Soltek funds...

in the lens.
I'm sure Skyway and the other customers would appreciate George getting his Soltek's sent back to Baja, so they can figure out why they're getting wet and fix them, and then Ian can send out the rest of the GB orders to the waiting customers.

This is not good.
Almost as not good as having a ticker?

As long as Baja is paying for the fixes, it's still the best gig going, IMHO, just like my bike, which I still love, even as it starts its second bout of ticking (or whatever noise it's making now, that Yamaha will repair gratis).

Hey Carver, PM or call me if you really want a set soon, complete with brackets.

Baja should have my lights tomorrow (9-11). Jayce stated that as soon as he recieved my lights he would send out new lights to me. He offered no explanation for the problem nor if any `fix' has been made to the new set? I explained to Jayce I had taked them apart to dry the water out and he was fine with that. However he wanted the lights returned as is, with no clean-up.

Here is my story"

Three days after the rain from hell, I still had moisture in both lens. So much so that both reflectors had water spots on them. The reason the moisture had not been evaporated from the bulb heat was the rain had also fried both relays, located in left front fairing. At the checkpoint in St. L. I changed both relays and the lights worked. Upon disassembling the lights to remove the moisture in the lens/reflector a large amount of water poured from the housing`s. This may have been the best light show any one has ever seen had the relays not quit?

I did not have the time to investgate the source for the leak at that time. They worked great the rest of the rally. Now if the rider had worked as well as the lights---------

Rick Martin

Pontiac, IL.

Soltex update:

Recieved phone call from Jayce today (9-17). He is sending out new set of lights with a set of rock guards (at no charge). He stated they (BD) believe the water came from an incorrectly positioned vent hole. Time will tell.

Jayce thought mine were the only set that had been returned for testing? Has anyone sent theirs` in yet? I thought George Barnes had sent his back already.

I reinstaled the converted 910`s for the Nevada trip coming up this wekend.