Removing Fairings

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great question, very timely as I'm facing the same challenge soon to install Solteks, grease steering head bearings, etc..

I believe KaitsDad has Yamaha instructions on how to do it. He sent me them some time ago and of course I lost them.

..if all gets to be too hard, just break out the torch.. :blink:

One a scale of 1-10, how difficult and any suggestions on best way to approach the removal of the fairings ?
I took my fairing off from the instructions from the Tech Bulletin for the 17 MPG error. You can get it HERE, which I found in post #2 in THIS thread

1-10 is always a tuff one to call, I might think it's a 3, eh, maybe 4 the first time I did it, but now it's not so bad, once you know which screws to pull, and what not to.

The pictures in the tech bulletin could be better, but just read it all 2x before starting, and make sure it makes sense as you're doing it.

When you do it, get some baggies ahead of time and label them - (1) per fairing piece. Now put all the screws from each tupperware piece into their specific baggie. You can't easily mix them up that way...

When you do it, get some baggies ahead of time and label them - (1) per fairing piece. Now put all the screws from each tupperware piece into their specific baggie. You can't easily mix them up that way...
Great advice. The only thing I can add is the obvious ... be patient and expect to spend more time than you may think. It's not difficult but it's definitely not worth rushing through and possibly losing screws, failing to replace a screw, or scratching some of the tupperware.

Great question, very timely as I'm facing the same challenge soon to install Solteks, grease steering head bearings, etc..I believe KaitsDad has Yamaha instructions on how to do it. He sent me them some time ago and of course I lost them.

..if all gets to be too hard, just break out the torch.. :blink:

Document is for GenII bikes - doesn't work on a GenI.

DC - check your email - the .edu addy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recommend that you apply a piece of masking tape along the horizontal junction between each of the side cowlings and the upper cowling. Put the tape on the upper cowling just above the horizontal joint.

Those three spring nuts on each of the side cowlings have sharp edges that can mar the finish on the upper cowling as you wrestle the side cowlings into position during reinstallation.

The masking tape on the upper cowling will protect the finish in case one of the spring nuts makes contact inadvertently.

After it's all reassembled you can easily remove the masking tape.