Bike shut off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inlaw1

Reaction score
On the drive home from work tonight, excellerating away from a stop, just into third gear, and the bike shuts off. Just like I turned the ignition switch off.

Coasted into a parking lot, pulled the cover off the battery, checked every fuse including the main fuse... the fuse to my fusable link for the PDB. Everythings good. Battery tests good. I have power to the main fuse, but no further.

I did a search of the board and found nothing. But then I don't think the search function and I get along very well.The bike is my daily driver and I either need to diagnose it quickly, or take it to the dealer. Anyone have an idea where to look? Or had a similar problem?

Flat tire????

Water in the carb??

ah................. Kill switch!

Hey, Screw you guys, Least I tried to help.

:jester:

There have been several instances of ignition switch failures on the Gen II bikes, check here for a fix:clicky. Some history. A search on ignition switch will give you more results, good luck, hope it's something simple.

EDIT: First post was a bit brief. Check the second link labeled history where dcarver first reports the problem - he also shows with piccies how he discovered the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ignition switch! Hapened to me in Wyoming 1500 miles from home, Just shut off, like flipping a switch.

when my 04 did the same thing it was the ignition switch. if i had to do it again, i would do the temp fix untill the new switch came in. i was down 2 or 3 weeks.

derek

Hey, Screw you guys, Least I tried to help. :jester:
LOL!

Like I said, me and the search feature of this board don't get along. :)

Thanks guys. That's what it is! Wiggled the wires and power came on. Off to the Yamaha shop.

Darn thing is I just got it back from dealer. Rear shock got replaced when the hard / soft adjuster broke. The shop overnighted the shock from Japan. Hope they do the same for the switch if there isn't one in stock.

There have been several instances of ignition switch failures on the Gen II bikes, check here for a fix:clicky. Some history. A search on ignition switch will give you more results, good luck, hope it's something simple.
EDIT: First post was a bit brief. Check the second link labeled history where dcarver first reports the problem - he also shows with piccies how he discovered the problem.
Excellent job, Mr. V65!

Excellent job, Mr. V65!
There's a small fee, I want half of TWN's post count. :lol:

Something inside me doubts this very much....
Well, actually it didn't get here overnight. It did take two days. Bike went in Wed and I had it back Fri. I see no reason for them to make something up like that.

For some reason they were seemingly balking at overnighting the ignition switch. :blink: Something about breaking too many parts (I just got it back from replacing the rear shock under warranty). :) :eek: <_<

BTW, anyone know if the whole ignition switch with key tumbler is replaced? Or can they replace the switch and retain the original tumbler and keys? The service manager was saying they might have to get a whole new lock set, but that didn't sound right to me.

Inlaw1

Yes they replace the entire lock assembly and give you a new key only for the ignition.

Now you have two keys.

I have heard you can wait a few days longer and have the new lock rekeyed by a competent locksmith, but the shop is unwilling to participate in that. Give them a try.

I got conflicting stories from my dealer on whether or not I'll end up with more than one key. Service guy says "Get parts to order a lock set", parts says "there is no lock set". But they can take the old tumblers out of the switch and install in the new switch. Another dealer says "No, you can't do that. You will end up with a seperate key for the ignition".

I called Yamaha customer service today and they state there are no lock sets, but they will cover getting the bikes locks reset for whatever key I end up with. I believe this can be done for the bag locks, but what about the gas cap lock? Anyone know if it can be reset by a locksmith?

They replaced the ignition switch on my '06 and I have the same keys. Check my post about the ignition failing in Maine.

As I'm sure others have said, it's most likely the ignition switch failed on you. If your bike looks like it does before you turn the key to the on position, and it's in the on position. The ignition switch is a great place to start with. Most likely you'll have to call a dealer and set up an appointment to get the bike fixed under warranty, unless you want to take the financial hit and buy your own switch and put it in.

Tell the dealer this is your only form of transportation. This may get them to act faster for you. I'd also call Yamaha Customer service and tell them the same exact thing, that the bike is the only transportation you have. If they can't fix it in one day you need them to provide transportation to you until your bike is repaired and returned to you. (it may not work, but it's worth a shot..... it also may get them to act faster for you too) 1-800-962-7926 Yamaha Customer Service.

Good Luck