2004 no start, no lights, DOA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR DaveH

Reaction score
I pushed the bike out of the garage on Saturday cleaned it up with just the usual wash. After I finish I put the key and... nothing. No click, no lights, zip. I did notice the heated for the grips was swithed on. I checked all the fuses. I'm good.

It's the original battery. I jumped it from the car and it did start. Could it just be the battery at the end of it's useful life or should I look for something more? I was going to take it to to have the idle adjusted. It's tacking about 500 instead of the usual 1000. Could that be affecting the charge? Most of my trips are a short commute to work. I'm spending almost as much time at lights that moving.

An '04 (with the original battery?), well if that's the case, that's probably the most likely reason. Get a new battery, start the bike, adjust the idle to 1100 rpms, and before you button up the panel, put a meter on the battery to make sure your charging system is functioning. You should have about 14 volts at idle.

I put in new battery and then adjusted the idle. If it wasn't for the tech information posted here I would have spent considerable more time getting the plastic off then on and finding the idle adjustment knob. One small step toward empowerment.

Well then, proof they work. The original battery lasted quite some time.

Last edited by a moderator: