Pulled a D.A. move yesterday changing my oil

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.paul

Reaction score
I was losening the drain bolt and broke off the little tab directly in front of the drain bolt, so now I have one question and one comment.

1. Other than to guard the drain bolt from debris, does this have a major purpose? I assume not really.

2. I'm surprise at how easily it broke off, that metal is pretty soft. Granted, I just got home from work and it was hot, but whatever. :blink:

You can go faster now because your bike is lighter!! I wouldn't worry about it. It's just there to protect the drain plug area from road debris. If something serious comes up through there that isn't going to stop it like you mentioned.

Just my $.02, I'm sure that someone will come along that has more money than sense and tell you to replace the oil pan and the sky is falling!

JW

If you don't have the pan replaced the warranty on the engine will be void.......then the sky will fall down. :rolleyes:

Put some caulk on it, Silicon is the best. I suggest Dow Corning 1199. That will restore the Aerodynamic Design feature that the thingy was designed for. It will also help hold the sky up

What no dogpile for destroying the bike while working on it? :rolleyes: Wasn't he suposed to do many forum searches and RTFM! before working on the bike?

Other than now needing to ballast the bike so it doesn't turn right all the time because of the resulting weight imbalance you should be okay.

Paul, please replace the broken part -- it's things like this that drag us all down.... :(

It looks like it'll only cost around $165 for the part -- add in a few other nec. parts and dealer labor and it'll only be abt. $3~4 hundred bucks. :blink: :huh:

Unless, you do the work yourself......... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
What no dogpile for destroying the bike while working on it? :rolleyes: Wasn't he suposed to do many forum searches and RTFM! before working on the bike?
No dogpiles for people working on their own bikes. Now, if he would have said that honeybuns had to help him change the oil and she broke off the tab, well....then, after the big beer can drops on his head and the announcer says 'men should act like men', the dogpile would begin.

If you take it in for warranty work, take a piece of gum and a beer bottle cap and make your own guard in the parking lot before you hand over the keys. If they mention it, tell them that it's clearly as good (if not better) than the stock setup since there is clearly no damage to the drain plug and it's not in danger of breaking to the point where you can't reattach it. If they say the attachment point is the weak spot, tell them that at high speeds the cap hinges back over the drain plug to provide extra protection not available from Yamaha engineering and that Yamaha should seriously consider offering you a lead position on the FJR design team. If that doesn't work, offer the mechanic the open beer (and its 5 siblings). No sweat.

Hey Paul, see how helpful people on the Forum are :huh:
haha

Speaking of helpful people on the forum....what would it take for Jason and I to contract your services/skill/help with a TBS? :ph34r:

Also, speaking of chewing gum - maybe I'll use some contact cement to glue the part back on.....i wonder if its flamable?! (o_O)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be happy to meet you guys along the state line sometime for a TBS. I don't venture into VA unless absolutely no other choice.

:)