'07 Mirror Washers

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackarrow

Reaction score
I feel like a first class idiot posting this question but here goes. I took off my right hand mirror to get repair estimates after tipover damage (another pride busting idiot moment).

So I attempted to put it back on today. It wasn't tightening down properly. Finally I disassembled the other mirror assembly very carefully to inspect and use as a guide on the mirror I was having difficulty with. What I observed were the six washers had a very very slight convex shape in the center. They were stuck together in pairs and then alternated. This buys space, but does it also provide a slight spring action necessary for folding the mirrors?

Four washers on my problem mirror were flattened when monkeying with it trying to get it back on. I was thinking about going to the hardware store for another washer simply to use as a spacer, but I wonder if that's wise because of the presumed spring action generated by the convex washers.

So, are the convex washers imperative? If so, are these washers commonly available or do I really have to go to my Yamaha dealer and special order six washers? Maybe I can get by simply with an extra spacer washer, but I defer to the wisdom of the forum.

The washers have to be installed in the right sequence or the mirrors won't fold in properly on impact and will also vibrate at certain harmonics. I learned this the hard way after installing a new left mirror after a tipover in driveway.

Hve fun with the washers! :rolleyes:

They are called a "spring washer" and can typically be purchased at better automotive stores like NAPA or someplace where the person behind the counter will search them out.

I have experimented with different stacks to minimize mirror vibration, but honestly not much results. My right side mirror vibrates, no matter what. Even tried a brand new mirror and same thing.

Just stack them in pairs with the cups facing each other and then double-up the outer two washers. This is a good starting arrangement.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are called a "spring washer" and can typically be purchased at better automotive stores like NAPA or someplace where the person behind the counter will search them out.I have experimented with different stacks to minimize mirror vibration, but honestly not much results. My right side mirror vibrates, no matter what. Even tried a brand new mirror and same thing.

Just stack them in pairs with the cups facing each other and then double-up the outer two washers. This is a good starting arrangement.

Many thanks. This is just what I needed to know. I wonder who wrote the law that wrenching motorcycles must needs be an arcane and mysterious experience. Well, for some of us anyway.

And DON'T FORGET the (blue) loctite buddy, or you'd be buying yet another mirror.

And yes, I'd keep the mirror's 'springing' action myself, but you could also solidly mount it (flat washers) if you wanted to. Take care.

JC

Ditto spring washers. If you get vibration in the lens, try another spring washer, a rubber washer, and a nylon nut on the nut side. If you still get them, try using plumber's teflon tape on the bolt: worked wonders for me.

This is most likely a stupid suggestion, but I tried it myself and it's been working for me. I too lost one washer, I monkeyed around trying to find the right combination adding just about anything that would take up the extra space brought on by me loosing one stinking washer. I finally thought about it long enough and installed a small rubber o-ring between two of the washers I still had left. I will say it works fine, and I don't seem to have as much vibration on that side. But I'm not going to experiment on the other good side as of yet. So if you are in a jam until you get replacment washers, use an

o-ring.

If anyone has a Yamaha part number for these washers I would really appreciate knowing it. I've been all over Tahlequah, Muskogee, and Tulsa looking for them at auto parts stores, hardware stores, and fastener stores with no luck. Neither I nor the Yamaha two Yamaha dealers consulted can find the part number because the exploded diagram which shows part numbers appears to be incorrect.

Thanks.

If anyone has a Yamaha part number for these washers I would really appreciate knowing it. I've been all over Tahlequah, Muskogee, and Tulsa looking for them at auto parts stores, hardware stores, and fastener stores with no luck. Neither I nor the Yamaha two Yamaha dealers consulted can find the part number because the exploded diagram which shows part numbers appears to be incorrect.
Thanks.
As far as I have found, there is no Yamaha part number for the washers only. You have to buy the entire mirror assembly.

Ask on the forum if anyone has a broken mirror assembly that will send you some washers cheap???